• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Ion Putter

Trolled.jpg

I finally got around to playing a round today with the Ion. I was very impressed. It had a good amount of float yet I never felt that I couldn't control distance. For putts 40' and in it was very straight and gripped the chains REALLY well. Anything on the strong side seemed to stay in. The disc buckled as soon as it hit chains and fell straight down into the basket.

I'm not that fond of the rounded inner rim. I have pretty big hands and need all the real estate I can get when I'm using a power grip. This made driving with it less successful than putting.

All in all I think it's a keeper. Certainly not a gimmick disc.

I'm not that fond of the rounded inner rim. I have pretty big hands and need all the real estate I can get when I'm using a power grip. This made driving with it less successful than putting.

Yeah, that takes getting used to, even with my teeny hands. I have to really slant the fingers to feel comfy.

All in all I think it's a keeper. Certainly not a gimmick disc.

Another win for the Ion! This disc has near universal positive appeal among everyone I've heard whose thrown it. Throw it some more and you will have some more fun. You should be able to get used to the grip, obviously there's a lot more room under the rim than any of your drivers, it just takes a little getting used to.

Personally, I'm loving my Ions. I have two softs a they work amazingly well for short drives, approaches, and my putting.

I talked with the guys at Gotta Go Gotta Throw about it because they've been doing testing so they can update their flight chart with new discs. They seemed to be unimpressed with the Ion. They claimed that it will be a -1 hss and 1 lss and only good for up to 200'. They also said that it actually has too much glide for putter and that they should drop more.

This seems inconsistent with my experience and what I've read from other users. I don't know if they were testing an oddball Ion, or if they just don't want anything to appear better than a Wizard. They know a hell of a lot more than I know about discs, so who am I to argue.

Either way, I'm sticking with my Ions, they work great for me, that's all that matters. I don't care if some flight chart claims some other putter is supposed God's gift to disc golf.

Personally, I'm loving my Ions. I have two softs a they work amazingly well for short drives, approaches, and my putting.

I talked with the guys at Gotta Go Gotta Throw about it because they've been doing testing so they can update their flight chart with new discs. They seemed to be unimpressed with the Ion. They claimed that it will be a -1 hss and 1 lss and only good for up to 200'. They also said that it actually has too much glide for putter and that they should drop more.

This seems inconsistent with my experience and what I've read from other users. I don't know if they were testing an oddball Ion, or if they just don't want anything to appear better than a Wizard. They know a hell of a lot more than I know about discs, so who am I to argue.

Either way, I'm sticking with my Ions, they work great for me, that's all that matters. I don't care if some flight chart claims some other putter is supposed God's gift to disc golf.

Blake (the flight chartmaster) doesn't like straight discs...He likes discs that fly like the Wizard and Roc. Personally, I think 0 turn and 0 fade is a wonderful thing. I'll take too much glide out of my putter any day as well. This reminds me of dog breeding...I got my Cocker Spaniel from a show breeder...she was cheap because of a flaw...she is too soft.

Latest posts