Is it just me or...

Sometimes you just have to laugh when the wind is really up. Yesterday, I tried to lean out from behind a tree and throw a high forehand anhyzer into a massive headwind. It was always going to end poorly since my forehand is a mess and I did not disappoint. It penetrated forward for a second and then the wind stopped the disc and pushed it backwards. It ended up landing about 25' to my right.
I was doing a practice swing the other day a little too eagerly on hole 18 right after a hot streak and pulled one of these.

SSIhbM6.gif

I can't even blame that on the wind.

Had a couple of those so far, only they were real shots in rated tourney play 🙃
Sometimes things go horribly wrong and it just sticks to your middle finger. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I was laughing at myself and running after it before it even hit the ground. Somehow that felt better than waiting to see how anyone who happened to see it reacted lmao

Lightweight, understable disc can be thrown in the wind. You just have to learn how and practice.
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

It's like throwing an anhyzer vs throwing a hyzer, a hyzer is just a more consistent shot. Throwing lightweight discs in strong, gusty winds is a losing strategy, no matter how good you are at it, if you spent half the time practicing throwing max weight discs on more consistent lines it would win out.

Heavy discs also carry further in headwinds unless you don't throw hard enough, in tailwinds lighter weight discs obviously bomb.

Not saying don't bag understable stuff, but relying on it in gusty winds is just worse.

We had a 1000ish rated, former touring pro, who has been playing for 30 years come through and play a 4 round tournament in crazy wind a while back. Through 30 holes he was tied with my sub-900 rated ass, because he couldn't keep it between the lines with his neutral to flippy discs and I leaned on discs that can handle a beating.

The wind died down a little r3 and r4, and we went into the woods for those rounds and he beat me by like 20, hah.

Edit: Also wanted to add that I don't like having big weight variance in the discs I bag, throws off my timing just a little bit, so I prefer sticking with a narrow weight range.

This is great stuff. Classic DGCR.

Nobody knows each other. One guy lives in Tulsa, other guy lives in St. Paul. Open windy versus tight technical. Yet there can only be one approach disc to settle appropriate acceptable approach distances for everyone. Lulz!

Star Wars Fighting GIF

Blue lightsabers over green all day every day BTW.
I live in Pierre South Dakota and we have wind or technical and can be both, on a specific few wooded holes when you probably should not be playing having to use a Shark for a putter disc or a similar OS putter shaped midrange like a Gator or a Rat when putting. Whatever is your approach putter provided it is not so OS like an OS Zone or even more OS.

I was doing a practice swing the other day a little too eagerly on hole 18 right after a hot streak and pulled one of these.

SSIhbM6.gif

I can't even blame that on the wind.
Yeah, my "ooops" is making a practice swing and hitting someone directly behind me with the disc.
Or like the window on my garage door.

Throwing lightweight discs in strong, gusty winds is a losing strategy, no matter how good you are at it, if you spent half the time practicing throwing max weight discs on more consistent lines it would win out.
The whole lightweight vs heavy discs in the wind thing is mostly speculation.

Are heavier objects less affected by the wind force? Yes.
Is it as drastic as everyone claims it is? No. Definitely not.

When you play the correct shot with the correct disc to match the wind conditions, the 15 or 20 gram differences is not going to be noticeable.

The reason people have far more success with heavy discs in the wind is because the heavier discs masks some of their poor form or off axis torque in the wind.

You can really step your game up with lightweight discs in the MVP line, they really don't care much about anything you're saying. Good spin and the gyro effect you get in a 150 class disc. I am not scared to throw into head winds unless its 40+

You gotta know and trust your ability and gear.

A lot of the wind issues, as I was saying, come from poor disc/shot choice and bad form. Not because you threw to light of a disc.

When you play the correct shot with the correct disc to match the wind conditions, the 15 or 20 gram differences is not going to be noticeable.

The reason people have far more success with heavy discs in the wind is because the heavier discs masks some of their poor form or off axis torque in the wind.

You can really step your game up with lightweight discs in the MVP line, they really don't care much about anything you're saying. Good spin and the gyro effect you get in a 150 class disc. I am not scared to throw into head winds unless its 40+

A lot of the wind issues, as I was saying, come from poor disc/shot choice and bad form. Not because you threw to light of a disc.
Bro comes in here saying heavy vs light weight is mostly speculation and then goes on to talk about gyro effects of 150 class discs.

And why do you think heavier discs mask form inefficiencies? Maybe because they're more reliable, so you can throw them worse and get better results than if you'd thrown a touchier disc like that?

I throw really well in windy conditions (I don't always play well, but I do throw well) and heavy, overstable discs are a big reason why. Another part is that I forced myself to play putter only, and later mid/putter rounds with mostly neutral to understable discs in windy conditions to make sure I understood release angles and wasn't throwing with a ton of OAT. But I'd still play worse without reliable, OS discs, as would anyone who had spent the time to learn to them.

Bro comes in here saying heavy vs light weight is mostly speculation and then goes on to talk about gyro effects of 150 class discs.

And why do you think heavier discs mask form inefficiencies? Maybe because they're more reliable, so you can throw them worse and get better results than if you'd thrown a touchier disc like that?

I throw really well in windy conditions (I don't always play well, but I do throw well) and heavy, overstable discs are a big reason why. Another part is that I forced myself to play putter only, and later mid/putter rounds with mostly neutral to understable discs in windy conditions to make sure I understood release angles and wasn't throwing with a ton of OAT. But I'd still play worse without reliable, OS discs, as would anyone who had spent the time to learn to them.
MY point was there is not really any universal absolutes. I have indeed had success throwing lightweight discs, in non tailwind conditions. Is it my strategy.....no. It is shot, shape, wind, terrain and disc choice dependent. Does that work for you....doesn't sound like it. That is ok. Lightweight choices in the wind are likely the exception to the rule, but a viable one, IMO.

Yes I can use a 148--150 gram Dragon or an around 145 DX Valkyrie (potential backup for my Dragon) in a headwind but chose not to because I do not want have to power up a flippy disc on a flat line. Rather I would play a heavier disc like my 167-gram Champion Destroyer maybe 170 gram Champion Destroyer on a drive or use my 170--172 gram Stalkers for fairway, even use my Star Shark--Pro Shark/Champion Shark3 discs all around 175 grams when needed for midrange and long approach/approach in Shark discs.

I'm not quite sure what you debunked there whatsoever.

Regardless of your weight choice, your actual stability/disc choice is far far far more important.

I'm not quite sure what you debunked there whatsoever.

Regardless of your weight choice, your actual stability/disc choice is far far far more important.
Not on me to debunk anything, you made unsubstantiated claims which lack data, the burden of proof is on you.

Here's some evidence of the conversation at hand. Six sided discs, weight video. While you are there, I will invite you to view the entire "Flight numbers don't matter" series.

MY point was there is not really any universal absolutes. I have indeed had success throwing lightweight discs, in non tailwind conditions. Is it my strategy.....no. It is shot, shape, wind, terrain and disc choice dependent. Does that work for you....doesn't sound like it. That is ok. Lightweight choices in the wind are likely the exception to the rule, but a viable one, IMO.
Haha I know a guy, finally made it to amateur worlds, with the guy who won, anyhow.. 155 blizzard krait (75% sure), guy usually throws a beaten beast getting pushed around bad in the wind and his friend says try this... he bombs it giant distances and fights wind.. he gets the longest drives ever and still loves it.. lays down a respectable but honest round.

So ironically haha his buddy is horny on Diablos etc... super OS and he takes down am worlds. (He's changed his ways since)

The point is it can be done both ways. I remember the first time I hit real wind, magics and meteors were not my friend. And the first time in "gale force" I had nothing that worked...haha. so bad.

Personally I lean on Teslas, usually. Solid in 155 and 170g and good for moderate winds. I can shape easily with them.

....Though a ridiculously OS disc is nice in the wind or to lower your scores. If it has the flight dynamics of a brick you know where it will land. Poo poo it all you want but look at all the newbs that do it successfully.

Last edited:
....Though a ridiculously OS disc is nice in the wind or to lower your scores. If it has the flight dynamics of a brick you know where it will land. Poo poo it all you want but look at all the newbs that do it successfully.

Yeah, the MD5 pretty much lives in my bag now and I throw in an extra one on the really blasting days when even standing up straight is a chore. For the approaches, my choice is still a Pig if there is any wind at all. On calmer days, the anhyzer Dart just seems like such a classy throw that it's hard not to use it.

Oh my goodness I love this.

Since this is a "no driving" thread zone, can everyone please tell each other about their classiest throws?

A nose up FH bid from 150 and in is my go-to. I'm thinking about switching up my straight zone to a berg for that shot, since I tend to overshot my target 60% of the time, leaving me with a comeback that usually is out of my comfortzone.

Any time I use my beat, blue Yeti Pro Aviar for any reason, I feel classy.*

*Except when I throw crappy turnover scramble shots into OB right on the opposite side of the fairway.

#oddlyspecific
#didthathappenjustyesterday

Latest posts