• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it normal for 2 people in your group of 3 to be blasting music from speakers?

I don't mind music at all.

What I DO MIND is one of my friends listens to the same damn 10 reggae songs EVERY TIME. Like damn man...variety is the spice of life, isn't it?

Oh come on, you don't want to hear 'Buffalo Soldier' 50x in a row??

Let's get this part out of the way:
Competition Manual 3.01 General
C. Players are not permitted to have audible mobile phones or audible pagers on the course during any competitive round. In addition, personal music players and other devices must be used exclusively with personal headphones and the volume must be kept at a level so as not to be heard by other players, prevent the player from effectively interacting with their group during scorekeeping tasks, or provide a safety hazard for the player by not hearing "Fore!" calls from other players or warning blasts by the Tournament Director. Failure to interact fully with your playing group due to personal music players and other devices is considered a courtesy violation subject to courtesy violation rules and penalties.

Casual rounds, I don't mind music too much. Sanctioned rounds (tournament or league), I'd prefer to not hear someone else's music. I have been on a card where we all were okay with it, but since then I've learned another reason for the rule above. I definitely don't want 'warring' music - one person playing music is okay, not two or more.

I was in a tournament, where the group behind us was playing music on a speaker (at the time, I didn't know about the rule I quoted above). We were on the tee box and one of my card mates was in the process of throwing when the "music" group came up to the tee area with the music playing loudly. It affected his play. We told them they needed to turn the music down when they were approaching other groups. They apologized, but after we threw they turned it up again and it was loud the next time they got close to us. We mentioned it to the TD and that's when we found out about the rule above.

So, in a non-sanctioned or casual round - music is okay if the group agrees to it. But it needs to be one person playing it and it needs to be low enough to not affect other groups. Sanctioned rounds, use ear buds or something else and keep it to yourself.

If yes and you are one of those people blasting music, would you get pissed if the third party, the one not creating a discordant nightmare, a guy you don't really know and haven't played with, turned to you from the tee and asked if one of you could turn off your speakers because they are going insane? Would you tell that person that you "do it all the time" and "Sure ___, we'll do everything that you wanna do!"

Is this disc golf?

Please discuss because I'm at a loss for words.

It would be a plot twist if they were playing same music 8n sync with each other. This is where I say ear phones are better option as long as they don't interfere with interactions with the group.

Last edited:
If yes and you are one of those people blasting music, would you get pissed if the third party, the one not creating a discordant nightmare, a guy you don't really know and haven't played with, turned to you from the tee and asked if one of you could turn off your speakers because they are going insane? Would you tell that person that you "do it all the time" and "Sure ___, we'll do everything that you wanna do!"

Is this disc golf?

Please discuss because I'm at a loss for words.

** Deleted duplicate post **

Ha. In my mind I'm picturing one of them cranking Slipknot and the other guy blaring some Garth Brooks.

Lol, might come out like the Pantera/David Allen Coe collar Rebel Meets Rebel.

And yes, that is a thing that exists.

Maybe if one was playing polka and the other guy was playing zydeco nobody would even notice it was two types of music?

My guess is that 80-90% of players do not want to listen to someone else's music, but will say they don't mind just to avoid a confrontation.

What sucks about the situation is that if someone asks if you mind if they play music and you say "yes, I mind" then you are the bad guy! :wall:

I would have told both guys to make up their mind and pick one. Did you think of asking them to turn one off?

My guess is that 80-90% of players do not want to listen to someone else's music, but will say they don't mind just to avoid a confrontation.

What sucks about the situation is that if someone asks if you mind if they play music and you say "yes, I mind" then you are the bad guy! :wall:

Well.....I am the bad guy, but asking people to not be rude by blasting their music does not make a person bad. The person blasting the music is the bad guy......and also me, I am the bad guy :)

First, no one should EVER play Limp Bizquick. Ever. Even Fred Durst knows that, evidenced by his wise decision to lay really, really low for a decade.

Second, YES, there are more than 10 reggae songs. And most of them are pretty great.

Third, I understand everyone has an opinion about music.

These are some of mine.

:D

ETA: I can hang with or without music while playing. But I think I prefer the sound of the woods. How else are you gonna hear the owl so you can spot it?

There are wood thrushes at Oshtemo now. They harmonize with themselves in their bird call. That's the music I'm after on the course.

Latest posts