• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is removing the flash important?

I recently bought a Z Buzzz I've never seen a disc with a thicker flashing, almost 5 mil I'd estimate. Before removing the flashing the disc was more overstable than a drone and had no glide at all, just hyzer'd into the ground. Now flash-less the disc flies like a buzzz.

That is odd. All of my second run buzzz's have no flashing at all. I was actually very impressed with Discraft because of that.

Certain molds are worse for flash than others. The Orc and SL seem to be 2 big offenders. I tried removing flash with an xacto knife and failed miserably so from now on I'm gonna settle for rubbing them on the carpet and/or throwing them enough to wear it off.

The worst flash I have seen was on goldline halos. I almost thought it was supposed to have a square bead. I have 2 of them and both were like that. Super overstable to stable/flippy after the flashing was removed.

Every new champion boss I've seen has a thick razor sharp edge on the bottom of the rim. Even if I had the arm for it I'd probably never throw it.

Ok, I need some details to try this out. I just checked out my River, Flow and Core. In my opinion there isn't much there. We're talking about them rough edge on them lower inside part of them rim correct? So, if I am supposed to sand it, what do I use? Steel wool, 400 grit sandpaper, 300, 250, 200? Anybody have any specific suggestions? I don't want to pull out my Dremel and end up with a new mini. Thanks.

I first use 220 grit just lightly though,and finnish up with 600 grit

the best thing to use for flash is a swivel knife, they cost a couple bucks but do a great job and are well worth it

the best thing to use for flash is a swivel knife, they cost a couple bucks but do a great job and are well worth it

I wouldn't want to use a knife around my discs. A little slip and you could take far too much out of the disc. I also believe that technically, this makes them illegal for PDGA play...not that you're likely to be called on something like that, but just an FYI

I get the shakes if I haven't had a drink that day, so a knife is out for me. I guess if you are a PDGA tournament competitor maybe you should just use the earlier suggestion of rubbing the discs on benches or teempads.

I get the shakes if I haven't had a drink that day, so a knife is out for me. I guess if you are a PDGA tournament competitor maybe you should just use the earlier suggestion of rubbing the discs on benches or teempads.

Or sanding...the pdga says that minor sanding is fine

I'm still slightly confused. Are you talking about it being on the inside of the rim, or the bottom of the nose?

I'm very confused. No disc has ever cut my fingers, and I haven't noticed this "flashing" or "flash" on discs. Can anybody share a photo to clue me in?

Light sanding is fine. PDGA legal. It is a molding imperfection. Bosses, are bad. QMS's are worse. Star XD's are horrible. Sanding definately makes the disc more understable. I always sand discs that have flashing. The most obvious place for flashing is on the bottom of the disc, where the bottom of the bead would be. But there can be some flashing where the two halves of the mold meet. I haven't noticed the later affecting the flight of the disc though...

Flash:

ClearimageofFlash.jpg
FlashagainstThumbnail.jpg

Flash can be sharp...
I have laid my index finger open with star boss flash w hard snap...even drew a little blood.

Sanded flashing off and hit the finger w superglue; mcgyver mcghetto

In my experience, what makes a disc become less stable/overstable is the nose angle. As you hit trees and ground, the edge of the disc rounds and starts to point downward. Sanding the flashing only works slightly, you really want to, just beat it up randomly into trees over and over.