• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this putt legal?

Thanks for all the info. Yea i have been doing a falling putt and thinking it was legal as long as my foot stepped forward after the disc landed in the basket. Ill have to start practicing not doing that now.
I did that for years. I was a TD and a certified PDGA official and didn't catch on that it was illegal. I did it in events and no one ever said boo to me. I moved to a new city, went to a random dubs thing and people had a heart attack screaming "FOOT FAULT!!!" at me every time I putted. It was weird and confusing, especially since no one seemed to want to explain to me what I was doing other than the scream "FOOT FAULT!!!" at me. It was a fun time. :| It was pretty easy to stop doing after I figured out the rule.

Haha this is great. I love the "bone picking" .

Meh, it started out as "falling putts" ... if you could fall forward and decrease your putt from 20' to 17' some greasy DGibbers would do it. Or from 10' to 7...

Balance is balance, it doesn't matter which way you fall, for DG's sake can't you bang a standstill 30'er?!!!!! Stop looking for loopholes and play like a woman or a man goddammit!!!!!!

If you're a lawyer leave it in your briefcase when you pick up your disc bag.. :D

Why hurry it? Stand there behind your marker and enjoy your made putt to remove all doubt.

The player's body so outweighs the disc that even the tiniest bit of residual forward momentum carrying the body past the marker translates into lot more power going into the putt. Further, the power comes in a straight line in the direction the body is going. Both reduce the need for influence from the wiggly arm and wrist.

So at my first tournament i kept getting called out by one joe about my putting. From my understanding it was legal.

When i am doing short putts, i putt and my back foot raises a bit, but i never step or move my front foot until the disc touches the bottom of the basket. After it hits the bottom of the basket, i step forward.......

Legal or nah

Disclaimer: im a noob but i try. Please dont tear into me for not knowing this

You *can* demonstrate balance on one foot. Just need to perform another action while on the foot like bending over to get your mini without falling forward. Usually this demonstration requires a pause and hold which takes longer.

Most choose to drop the foot not contacting the lie area back to the ground behind the lie before advancing ahead of the lie. This demonstrates you aren't falling forward if you can rock backward first.

You *can* demonstrate balance on one foot. Just need to perform another action while on the foot like bending over to get your mini without falling forward. Usually this demonstration requires a pause and hold which takes longer.

Most choose to drop the foot not contacting the lie area back to the ground behind the lie before advancing ahead of the lie. This demonstrates you aren't falling forward if you can rock backward first.

Shusterick used to do this - he'd still be on one leg and swing forward, pick up his mini and swing his trailing foot down to step beyond where his marker was, kinda all in one motion. Even when the putt missed and sometimes while still in the air. After one USDGC people started to question it (maybe on the broadcast chat, not among the actual competitors) and it was brought to his attention, he started stomping his back foot down before picking up his mini.

I think we are all arguing the same point.

Falling putts are not allowed in the circle. Forward, backward or sideways.
Sometimes it's difficult do describe these things with words. Maybe we don't disagree at all.

The rules say:

I interpreted ``behind the marker disc'' as being your stance. Thus if you fall backwards during your putt, roll over and then come to balance a few meters behind your lie, this is a stance violation, because you didn't demonstate full control of balance behind the marker disc. (It was farther away from the pin, but not in the stance you putted from.)

The typical example here is an uphill putt where you have a difficult and slippery stance on the hillside. The question is: Is a backwards falling putt allowed? I interpret the rules as the answer being no, because you have to demonstrate balance in that stance you've taken, with one foot directly behind the marker.

But please correct me if I understand this wrong. (Or if I understood you wrong.)

Edit: You can use your other leg to ensure balance as long as it is farther away from the target than your lie. But you cannot move the front foot away from your stance to get balance. This is what I mean.

backward & sideways falling/jump putts are legal. as long as you release the disc with a supporting point on the lie w/o any points closer to the target (802.07) you can fall backwards or sideways; only advancing toward the target requires demonstration of balance. 806.01
there is a video demonstration of this, but i'm failing to find it

Last edited:
I gave that a thorough read, I guess if you got your lawyering pants on you can fall backwards down a hill, as long as you don't fall forwards past your lie.

I always thought and have been taught and play league where it is full balance in the 10m zone. Same league, people have fallen down hills but also some claim "no broken bones" relief which just requires a quick ask of the group (occasionally improving our lie by 12") We play fair but also don't want to fall down hills or Perch on stumps anymore haha.

Don't break anything is the cardinal rule of disc golf, having fun is the second..... Depending on who you ask. :D

I gave that a thorough read, I guess if you got your lawyering pants on you can fall backwards down a hill, as long as you don't fall forwards past your lie.

I always thought and have been taught and play league where it is full balance in the 10m zone.

Same here.

Haha this is great. I love the "bone picking" .

Meh, it started out as "falling putts" ... if you could fall forward and decrease your putt from 20' to 17' some greasy DGibbers would do it. Or from 10' to 7...

Balance is balance, it doesn't matter which way you fall, for DG's sake can't you bang a standstill 30'er?!!!!! Stop looking for loopholes and play like a woman or a man goddammit!!!!!!

If you're a lawyer leave it in your briefcase when you pick up your disc bag.. :D
Didn't Stork win his World Title doing this, and the rule was changed after that?

I may be way off, that could be total hearsay.

I always thought and have been taught and play league where it is full balance in the 10m zone. Same league, people have fallen down hills but also some claim "no broken bones" relief which just requires a quick ask of the group (occasionally improving our lie by 12") We play fair but also don't want to fall down hills or Perch on stumps anymore haha.

Don't break anything is the cardinal rule of disc golf, having fun is the second..... Depending on who you ask. :D

The "full balance" only applies to going forward past your marker. Falling backwards or sideways doesn't matter. Pick yourself up...show balance..and proceed past your marker.

The "full balance" only applies to going forward past your marker. Falling backwards or sideways doesn't matter. Pick yourself up...show balance..and proceed past your marker.

Yeah I always played that the fadeaway was legal. Doesn't seem to come up too often though.

So, in the past for fun, I've jump putted legally (I believe) in the circle just to mess with cardmates.

806.01 B - "After having released a putt, the player must demonstrate full control of balance behind the marker disc before advancing toward the target. A player who fails to do so has committed a stance violation and receives one penalty throw."

802.07 A -
If the lie has been marked by a marker disc, then when the disc is released, the player must:
Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the lie; and,
Have no supporting point closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,

I have an up and down jump putt and a backwards jump putt in the locker. Both allow me to meet the stance requirements and demonstrate full balance behind the marker before advancing toward the target. I can't see any interpretation that says you have to be in perfect balance as the disc is released, you just need to show balance before advancing to conform with 806.01.B

So, in the past for fun, I've jump putted legally (I believe) in the circle just to mess with cardmates.

806.01 B - "After having released a putt, the player must demonstrate full control of balance behind the marker disc before advancing toward the target. A player who fails to do so has committed a stance violation and receives one penalty throw."

802.07 A -
If the lie has been marked by a marker disc, then when the disc is released, the player must:
Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the lie; and,
Have no supporting point closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,

I have an up and down jump putt and a backwards jump putt in the locker. Both allow me to meet the stance requirements and demonstrate full balance behind the marker before advancing toward the target. I can't see any interpretation that says you have to be in perfect balance as the disc is released, you just need to show balance before advancing to conform with 806.01.B

You do need to have a supporting point on the lie. You can't jump (not even up or back) and release the disc while in the air.

You do need to have a supporting point on the lie. You can't jump (not even up or back) and release the disc while in the air.

That's why I quoted the stance bit as well. The jump putt is an up/down or up/backwards jump but the disc is released (like all technically good jump putts) whilst the foot is still in contact with the lie, only leaving the ground after the disc leaves the hand.

That's why I quoted the stance bit as well. The jump putt is an up/down or up/backwards jump but the disc is released (like all technically good jump putts) whilst the foot is still in contact with the lie, only leaving the ground after the disc leaves the hand.
The Crane Putt in my Demonstrating Balance video is another way to mess with newer players who think it's illegal.

Latest posts