• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

It's OK to ask someone to clear the basket. Here's why.

a course in rochester, NY(churchville) has "old" discatchers that you can end up in the chains in this way..i have done it and seen it done...a disc fits thru the bars on top and falls right into the chains

Yellow Creek park in Owensboro KY is the same way.. old innova baskets.. single chains, great course though.

Lets get technical. Here in disc golf.....we call shots (throws) of a certain range...putts. But...really...they are not putts. A putt is a ball golf term to describe hitting the ball with a club and "rolling" it on the ground or green.

The only way to get a disc in the basket is to throw it. Hence...there is no "putting".

Let's get technical. Here in ball golf...we call shots (strokes) of a certain range...putts.. But...really...they are not putts. A putt is a disc golf term to describe lightly throwing a disc and "floating" it into the basket.

The only way to get a ball into the hole is to hit it with a club. Hence...there is no "putting."

:)

the baskets have gotten alot better for the wedgie factor...the original "mach 1's" were notorious for this happening...hard to describe why...wish i had a pic..there was one important band of metal missing from the "cage"..guys that putted low and used gumputts would nail these all the time

Some of the reasoning behind these rules and rulings:

Wedgies are considered "in" because it's not always possible to tell whether a disc was a poor shot that hit the outside of the basket and wedged, or a shot that hit inside the basket and wedged out. The former is more common, but I've seen the latter. So the wedgie is considered "supported by the basket".

"At rest" rule is the protect throws that are truly at rest, generally on the ground, from being moved by being hit by another disc, or heavy winds, or waves washing up on previously dry land, or a dog grabbing a disc and running off, or anything else. The principle is that once the disc is at rest where you threw it, you play from there, and if it has since moved, you return it. I think this has only fairly recently been interpreted to include discs in the basket, which would include wedgies.

There are valid arguments for and against, but this is my understanding of the reasoning behind these rules, or rules clarifications.

good call...im gonna have to use it at jamesville, ny...lotsa dogs on one hole...it is blind and you park the hole, only to get there and see fido running away with your drive!!

In a recent warm-up round at Trophy Lakes, I just cleared the lake---always questionable with my arm---and started to walk around, when here came a retriever with my disc, dutifully returning it to me. (With, I might add, some modifications to the plastic).

On my private course, my neighbor's dog has recently taken to snatching discs. He's restrained during tournaments, but there's always the chance he'll intervene....and you don't want your next throw from whereever he's likely to take it.

On a steep slope, I've seen a disc at rest be hit by another disc and slide 20 feet away from the basket.

In a previous tournament at Trophy Lakes, I landing a foot or two beyond the OB lake. A waterski boat passed, and it's wake lept up on the shore and drug my disc into the lake.

"At rest" is generally a good provision.

There is an exception for disc caught in a tree, even if it came to rest, if it falls before you get to the spot.

There probably should be an except for a disc at rest in the basket (wedgie) falling out. Of course, what if you ace, and are resting in the chains, and someone else's disc hits the basket and knocks you clear out? Or a really big gust of wind?

Some of the reasoning behind these rules and rulings:

Wedgies are considered "in" because it's not always possible to tell whether a disc was a poor shot that hit the outside of the basket and wedged, or a shot that hit inside the basket and wedged out. The former is more common, but I've seen the latter. So the wedgie is considered "supported by the basket".

That is the exact rationale expressed by the PDGA for why wedgies are counted as good.

"At rest" is generally a good provision.

There is an exception for disc caught in a tree, even if it came to rest, if it falls before you get to the spot.

There probably should be an except for a disc at rest in the basket (wedgie) falling out. Of course, what if you ace, and are resting in the chains, and someone else's disc hits the basket and knocks you clear out? Or a really big gust of wind?

The "at rest" rule is qualified by being "at rest on the playing surface", where the basket is considered part of the playing surface.

read up two posts..you are contradicting yourself(or the rule book is)..."so even if your wedged ace pops out after declaring it at rest you would be allowed to replace the wedge(makes no sense) and then remove it to properly hole out"..

That's the rule. To complete the hole you must remove the disc from the entrapment device. If the disc was declared at rest and subsequently moved, you replace it and then can remove it to complete the hole.

if it is wedged in the basket it counts...if it was "at rest" and then popped out it still counts(which is contradicting another rule )...

The PDGA (via Chuck) has clarified which rule supersedes the other in the apparent contradiction to which you allude.

when you hit an ace, do you pull the disc out and put it back to complete the hole?

If you'd hit an Ace in the more traditional sense of a "normal" basket catch then your act of simply removing the disc completes the hole.

If your Ace'd wedgie that was declared "at rest" pops out, then you replace the wedgie, and then remove the disc from the entrapment device to properly hole out. If you want to play it by the book.

the "at rest" rule must be kinda new...and kinda retarded..still can't fathom hitting an ace, saying"it's at rest" and then it falls out before you get to the basket...then you are allowed to put it back in?...RIDICULOUS

That is the present ruling by the PDGA.

glad you know all these rules buddy...maybe if you spent more time golfing ...never mind...never met you and i dont judge people normally(hell you could be a great guy), but once again, noone likes the know it all jackoff who crams information in their face..glad you are in texas in your own world

did i say KNOWING them? NO... following them or abiding by them is a different story...you are a pompous ******* and all your posts prove it...keep your cocky **** attitude to yourself...since im the only one with the balls to say so..if you lived here you would play by yourself...anyone on this forum actually meet this know it all worm?...this is like a rookie pitcher telling roger clemens how to pitch...ridiculous

Last edited:
next time i'm in texas why don't we meet for lunch and a round of golf...i would love to see you throw and tell you what you are doing wrong as much as you do to people on here...i won't be able to cut and paste though sorry..i will be near austin in august

Hello 80played,

Please don't start all this eric hate again.... I, for one, really do enjoy reading your posts and respect your opinions to the fullest. I also really enjoy reading eric's posts and all of the information he helps bring to the table. I don't want to see you get banned again. Please try not to take what eric posts as a personal attack... I really don't think that is his intention.

I live in Austin and would love to play a round or two with you.... it sounds like you've been playing quite a while. Take care.

trying to work it out where i can ignore all his posts...not going well...seems he is a moderator/admin on this site...guess that's why he feels the need to enlighten all of us constantly...i would love to meet some guys from this site in a different state...haven't been to visit my cousins in 10 years, can't wait!!

80 states the only reason you dont like eric is the same reason i dont because all three of us are arrogant hard heads who think we know it all.:p

When the showdown goes down be sure to clear them baskets, kids!

did i say KNOWING them? NO... following them or abiding by them is a different story...

How does one follow or abide by rules they do not know?

this is like a rookie pitcher telling roger clemens how to pitch...ridiculous

Since you seem to be into analogies lately, I think it would be more accurate to say "like a rookie pitcher telling Roger Clemens that that juice in the syringe he just stuck in his ass is against the rules."

Feel free to try and dig up any post where I've told anyone how they should be throwing.

next time i'm in texas why don't we meet for lunch and a round of golf...i would love to see you throw and tell you what you are doing wrong as much as you do to people on here...i won't be able to cut and paste though sorry..i will be near austin in august

Next time you're in Houston let me know. I'm sure we'll have a blast.

Latest posts