• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I've finally decided to quit my forehand driving.

It's official.

I'm going to give up on this.I don't like to be frustrated when playing Disc Golf and throwing forehand off the Tee does a good job of that.I thought it would make it easier to learn this for certain holes.Well come to find out I'm much better just throwing my anyhzer shot.

I thought it would be fun to learn,but I'm better off just throwing forehand to get out of trouble or for some approaches that require a tight right turn.

Anyone else feel like I do about driving forehand off the Tee?

Quitting forehand was the best thing I ever did, now im almost 100% backhand with alot more distance and control. I only flick when i absolutely have to and i avoid it at all costs. you are on the path to enlightenment :clap:

I'm taking the opposite approach. Started all rhbh and have been working on FH a ton this season. Throw them about 50/50 now and my FH D is gradually catching up with my BH.

I came to the same conclusion a while ago. My forehand just wasn't consistent enough for me to be able to count on it when I need it. For this reason, I decided to place it in a circumstantial role.

My forehand just wasn't consistent enough for me to be able to count on it when I need it. For this reason, I decided to place it in a circumstantial role.

i read this and it doesn't make sense. if it's not consistent enough to count on it, how can you use it only in a 'circumstantial role'? how do you ever develop any trust in it?

Quitting forehand was the best thing I ever did, now im almost 100% backhand with alot more distance and control. I only flick when i absolutely have to and i avoid it at all costs. you are on the path to enlightenment :clap:

Thanks man.That makes me a feel a bit better about totally giving up on the shot off the tee.

One little tidbit of info about me though.I've played for 13 years.12 of those years all my drives off the tee were with my backhand and I only used the forehand for get out of trouble shots and some upshots.

It wasn't until earlier this year when a buddy of mine asked me why I never threw a forehand off the tee.I just told him I didn't feel like I needed to.

So after that I worked on it for about 5 months,watched lots of videos,but just couldn't quite get it and became very frustrated.So when the frustration was taking my focus off other parts of my game I decided this just wasn't for me.

i read this and it doesn't make sense. if it's not consistent enough to count on it, how can you use it only in a 'circumstantial role'? how do you ever develop any trust in it?

I use it when the backhand line is not one that has a very good probability. Typically this means that it is used as a get out of trouble/circumstantial approach throw. No more FH distance drives for this guy.
Since it has been relegated to the circumstantial approach role, it has its spot and I'm comfortable with it right now.

I use it when the backhand line is not one that has a very good probability. Typically this means that it is used as a get out of trouble/circumstantial approach throw. No more FH distance drives for this guy.
Since it has been relegated to the circumstantial approach role, it has its spot and I'm comfortable with it right now.

Just curious.Do you throw yours from the straddle position on approaches and get of trouble shots?

When I throw from the straddle position I'm deadly accurate and can control my speed.I say it probably looks weird when I do it,but hey if it works it works. :thmbup:

Just curious.Do you throw yours from the straddle position on approaches and get of trouble shots?

When I throw from the straddle position I'm deadly accurate and can control my speed.I say it probably looks weird when I do it,but hey if it works it works. :thmbup:

That is exactly how I do it as well! That extra reach is deadly and for some reason it works for me, too!

i was like this for a few years. over this passed year i forced myself to throw forehand over and over and over (pain pills helped).

i still get some pain but it's MUCH less now. those muscles and tendons have built up and can now take the stress.

my forehand can now go 320-345', 6' off the ground the whole way. i have to struggle to get that kind of distance from my backhand.

I played dg for years, but when I moved back home to Missouri, there were no close dg courses, so I quit playing. When I quit, my drive was 350' range.

So, after a few years, a 9 hole was opened close by, so I started playing again. I was quite disgusted that I was throwing 225-250'. So I started going out into a field... NOT with a putter mind you, but with ALL my discs, lol, and wayyy overdid it. Ended up giving myself tennis elbow. I could not so much as pick up a bottle of water without cringing. Once again, had to stop playing for about 3 months.

Now, my elbow is feeling much better, but I want to do everything within my power to keep from hurting it again. While I agree, I am throwing wrong, that is why it is hurting, I am afraid I would be in a lot more trouble before I would have correct form and technique.

I just love to play the game, and want to enjoy it for as long as I can. No disrespect against forehand shots. :thmbup:

Hmmm.. I hope your decision making on the course is better.

Wait... You've been working on your backhand for 12 years now and decide to give up forehand beause you can't get perfect drives after 5 months? How long did it take you before your backhand game got to where it was now? It takes time, just like learning anything else.

if you give up your throwing the wrong discs or are not approaching the box right. forehand is $$

I love backhand rips but I know people who can throw some crazy lines with forehand. I'd rather play a lefty shot though cause I'm ambidextrous. Forehand is a useful tool to have for long rips without worring about turning an anny into a roller.

Nice to hear that others share my pain with FH. At my local courses I have developed enough `workarounds`with annys and turnovers to avoid the FH. But the more new courses I play, the more obvious it becomes that a FH is a necessary tool. Another bonus of developing a FH is that maybe now I`ll get some use out of the overstable discs in my bag!

I didn't read the whole thread, but I feel like the OP does, except with my backhand. I can hit gaps, hit release angles, control the spin (better), and generally be more accurate with my FH than with my BH. Thus, I only throw backhand when its the best shot for the situation.

This exact reason is why I've been forcing myself to play lefty only rounds, as miserable as it can make me I've seen quite a bit of improvement over the last 2-3 rounds. I have a buddy who throws forehand only off the box. When he does try the occasional backhand drive it's extremely laughable lol