• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jacquard iDye Poly -- Rit Replacement

I got to try out some iDye today. It is awesome. I used blue and green on a yellow echo star, and both worked very quickly with low heat. They also showed up pretty vibrantly, for being on yellow plastic. I left the green in longer to get it darker(Army green), and that was only like 5 minutes. This stuff is great, and I cant wait to see how it works with marbling.

pigpen.jpg

Green and blue work awesome for marbling, just ask Pigpen!

Read through the whole thread and I think I have the process down.
1. Mix 32 oz of water with one packet of iDye
2. Heat to dissolve (what temp should the mix be when dipping the disc?)
3. Dip disc for 5-20 mins depending

Seems pretty straight forward

First dye (entire disc)

I'm going to use this dye for my first dye job, and want to asks few questions.
1. I'm using a large pan and 96oz of water so 3 packs of dye, correct?
2. I'm dyeing a Crystal Z Buzzz SS. Do I need to add acetone to the dye?
3. Any suggestions for uniformly dyeing an entire disc?
4. Lastly, can I just boil water in the stove then add it to the dye in the pan?

Thank you in advance for any help.

I'm going to use this dye for my first dye job, and want to asks few questions.
1. I'm using a large pan and 96oz of water so 3 packs of dye, correct?
2. I'm dyeing a Crystal Z Buzzz SS. Do I need to add acetone to the dye?
3. Any suggestions for uniformly dyeing an entire disc?
4. Lastly, can I just boil water in the stove then add it to the dye in the pan?

Thank you in advance for any help.
I use 1 pack to 32 oz so that should work. why such a big batch. I use 32 and keep it for a long while.

no acetone to the dye it should be fine with just water and heat.

if dyeing whole disc. let the disc float on top of the dye for a bit, then once the dye cools submerge the disc entirely.

I use hot water and add the dye in right away while heating the pan up. I get the dye to a light boil for about 15 minutes. Then let it be cool enough that you can touch the pan without burning your hands.

hope this helps

I use 1 pack to 32 oz so that should work. why such a big batch. I use 32 and keep it for a long while.

no acetone to the dye it should be fine with just water and heat.

if dyeing whole disc. let the disc float on top of the dye for a bit, then once the dye cools submerge the disc entirely.

I use hot water and add the dye in right away while heating the pan up. I get the dye to a light boil for about 15 minutes. Then let it be cool enough that you can touch the pan without burning your hands.

hope this helps

I'm using a large pan like you'd cook a turkey in. 64oz almost covered the entire disc, but not quite. So, I'm going up to 96oz so I can keep the dye/water ratio. Lol.

Do I have to heat the pan itself? This pan is made for an oven, not stovetop. That's why I want to know if I can just add the hot water and dye to the pan after the water is hot.

Also, does it matter if the disc is stamp up or down? Is one way preferred? My biggest fear is an uneven dye job.

Why such a big pan? You could do the same thing with a cheap aluminum pie tin. Or go to a goodwill and buy a frying pan.

Adding the hot water to the dye should work just fine. Then just completely submerge the disc, stamp down. (If you go stamp up you are more likely to get air bubbles under the flight plate.) You could put some marbles or chopsticks or something like that in the bottom to keep it from resting on the bottom. However since you won't have heat you don't have to worry about burning the disc so it might not matter.

Why such a big pan? You could do the same thing with a cheap aluminum pie tin. Or go to a goodwill and buy a frying pan.

Adding the hot water to the dye should work just fine. Then just completely submerge the disc, stamp down. (If you go stamp up you are more likely to get air bubbles under the flight plate.) You could put some marbles or chopsticks or something like that in the bottom to keep it from resting on the bottom. However since you won't have heat you don't have to worry about burning the disc so it might not matter.

I was given the pan for free, otherwise I would use a smaller one. After this I may buy a smaller one anyway.

Northern I'm gonna ask the mods to add this thread to the stickied techniques thread. If you would add a comment on how you are prepping your iDye these days I'm sure I won't be the only one who would appreciate it.

idye poly results

Hello, I'm 2 yrs new to disc golf and recently started dying disc. Started with some old rit I found in town with good results in multiple techniques. But colors and supply limited. So here's my results for some idye poly i ordered. first the most surprising Was the color change of the green in different process the green seemed a dark hunter green with hot process but with the cold acetone process the green was a brighter richer color. I am using the color intensifier and have stuck with the acetone because I like tye dyes and the quick color set about 3-5 mins. The colors are very rich and vibrant and seem to mix well for other custom colors.

Attachments

• IMG_20121113_184044_145.jpg
    IMG_20121113_184044_145.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20121113_191338_100.jpg
    IMG_20121113_191338_100.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 186
What do you mean by hot process and cold process? Intriguing you used the intensifier because usually it just makes a huge mess. Did you mix the intensifier with acetone ?

What do you mean by hot process and cold process? Intriguing you used the intensifier because usually it just makes a huge mess. Did you mix the intensifier with acetone ?

Hot process = heating dye and floating the disc works best for stickers , specific designs and doesn't destroy hot stamp. But can take 15-30 min for best color.

Cold process = acetone mixture , mix as needed color set time is 3-5 mins detereates stamp but my favorite process for tye dyes and marbling.

I use 99 cent condiment bottles kinda like hair dye bottles about 8oz bottles I use hottest tap water add dye pack and intensifier and shake to get my color concentrate.

I use hottest tap water add dye pack and intensifier and shake to get my color concentrate.

Be really careful with the intensifier, i have run a bunch of tests with it, and it is actually a denaturing product. This means it actually messes with the plastic (or fabric for that matter) to get the dye to react better. if it is too concentrated you will actually be able to feel where the dye was on the disc.

when this occurs it also adds weight, i saw in my worst case a 2.5 gram add. and this odd weight distribution will make the disc less stable. (keep in mind i was using a fairly high ratio for the sake of experimenting)

however Idye green in my opinion is garbage unless you use it in a painting mixture.

good luck

Be really careful with the intensifier, i have run a bunch of tests with it, and it is actually a denaturing product. This means it actually messes with the plastic (or fabric for that matter) to get the dye to react better. if it is too concentrated you will actually be able to feel where the dye was on the disc.

when this occurs it also adds weight, i saw in my worst case a 2.5 gram add. and this odd weight distribution will make the disc less stable. (keep in mind i was using a fairly high ratio for the sake of experimenting)

however Idye green in my opinion is garbage unless you use it in a painting mixture.

good luck

Thanks for the info, my concentrate goes along ways only using about a table spoon amount to about 2 ounces of acetone .
How well does the dye work without the intensifier?

It works great. I've used it via dip method, shaving cream, dish soap (painting) and acetone (painting). All work great but have never used intensifier.

It works great. I've used it via dip method, shaving cream, dish soap (painting) and acetone (painting). All work great but have never used intensifier.

What about your green mine had the intensifier and hot made a hunters green but when acetone was added it changed to a lighter brighter green.

P.S. have u tried saranwrap yet for a marbling technique

I pour two ounces of acetone into a shot glass and sprinkle idye (green) in while stirring. I'll then test the color on a white garbage disc. I will add some yellow sometimes to lighten it up. I also noticed that it takes a bit for the powder to absorb, so I have started painting with a color and when I come back 30 min later to finish up, the same color now appears darker! some of that is probably due to evaporation of the acetone but I usually seal it up I'd I know I'll be walking away for a while.

Yes, I have done saran and grocery bags but that was a long time ago and with RIT , but idye should work the same.

anybody mix these colors?

i'm looking to get a bright pink idye? any guess how to mix it?

Latest posts