• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

jmbo itb

jmbo

Bogey Member
Vitals:
Years playing: 1 year(seriously), 8 years(very casually), 12-13 years of throwing plastic circles in some form or another. Was a 3 disc FH only && occasional ultimate player up until about a year ago.
Throwing Style: RHBH, but lots of FH approach/touch shots
Distance (avg/max):
- Destroyer: 390/430, flat & hyzer lines;
- Teebird/Alpha: 325-350/375;
- Roc: 275-300/350;
- Warlock/Nova: 230/275;

Sex: M
Injuries: none, work a desk job so not as flexible as I'd like to be
Other sports: Soccer, basketball(sometimes)
What do I like: I have a pretty focused set of molds at the moment, and feel pretty good about the balance of the bag. Currently most of what I throw is stable/overstable, or at least started out as it, and my home course tends to be pretty windy, which keeps me from buying too much off the shelf understable plastic.

Goals: BH really consistent out past 400, right now I'm toeing that line, where I hit 400+ at least a couple times a round, but am not as consistent as I'd like to be on the lines I want to throw. Max distance I can/have hit is around 440-460, but not particularly controlled shots. I also want to improve my 50-100 foot jump-putt game, and would generally love to be more consistent from 25-40 ft and out through putter range when not just laying up.

Bag:

Distance
175 Destroyer - Star - Stable (used & flat): workable distance. Would throw it more if it wasn't red and hard to find
171 Destroyer - Star - OS (fresh & flat): headwinds
171 Destroyer - Star - Stable (used & pop top): started OS, now beat in to stable w/ glide. I can count on this disc in windy but not headwind situations.
164 Destroyer - Star - Stable (fresh & pop top): it's light, it's a bomber. Gets distance, will hyzer flip.
171 Destroyer - Pro - US (beat & flat): max D, holds an anny, hyzer flips & tailwinds

Drivers/Control
170 Firebird - Champ - OS (beat & domey): FH approach shots, FH off the tee
175 Firebird - Glow Champ - OS(used & flat): Off the tee, more OS than the 170
172 Alpha - Stable/Os (fresh): Hyzers, between a teebird and firebird
172 Alpha - Stable (beat): Longer teebird shots, 325-350 ft hyzers, straight shots
175 Teebird - Stable(used)
171 Teebird - Stable(beat) - getting to US, straight shots out to 350, 300-325 ft hyzers

Mids
180 Roc - DX - OS (new): just in case
177 Roc3 - Star - OS/S (used): reliable fade, FH approaches. I cycle dx Rocs around this slot
180 Roc - DX - S (used): straight, some fade on shorter approach shots
180 Roc - DX - US (beat): turnovers, hyzer flips
180 Gator - Metal Flake - OS (used): Windy approaches & headwind putts

Putters
171 Stego - OS: utility, trick shots. Get out of jail free card.
175 Nova - S (used): approach & short tee shots
172 Nova - S (fresh): approach & short tee shots
175 Warlock - SSS - S (used): main putter
175 Warlock - SSS - S (used): main putter

Last edited:
Added a couple of beaded aviars to the bag for throwing(yeti pros)., as well as an old 11x eagle(eagle L???) to try to balance out the alphas which I can't seem to find more of at the moment.

171 star destroyer OS
175 star destroyer S/OS
171 star destroyer(pop top && beat) S
164 star destroyer S/US
171 pro destroyer US

175 Champ glow firebird
172 champ firebird
172 alpha (beat)
172 alpha
17? Champ Eagle (11x)
175 star teebird
171 star teebird (beat)

180 dx roc (beat) US
180 dx roc S
176 star roc
180 dx roc OS
175 gator

172 stego OS (save yourself)
175 yeti aviar x2 (throw it)
175 nova x2 (run it)
175 warlock x2 (in the bucket)

Last edited:
Couple updates to my bag. Added a pair of harps for approach and windy driving putter duties. Dropped firebirds(!!) for now. I found the Yellow apex alphas I have in the bag can cover a lot of the firebird tee shots and skip shots, and am more comfortable on some of the approach lines with the harps or other putters. The gator also was dropped in favor of the harps, and I added two less stable alphas to complement the the yellow apex. Overall I'm trying to keep the bag pretty focused, I may even drop the teebirds and go destroyer - alpha - roc - putters once the less stable alphas start to beat in a bit.

171 star destroyer OS
169 star destroyer S/OS
164 star destroyer S/US
171 pro destroyer US

172 apex alpha
172 apex alpha (beat)
169 eternal alpha
168 eternal alpha
175 star teebird
171 star teebird (beat)

180 dx roc (beat) US
180 dx roc S/US
180 dx roc S
172 dx roc OS

172 stego
174 origio harp
174 bt hard harp
175 nova
172 nova
175 sss warlock
175 sss warlock

Picked up a cart for the bag, which I love so far. Still not missing the firebirds, the yellow 2nd run Apex Alphas have been handling that slot perfectly and if anything are a bit longer and touch straighter while still being plenty overstable. Added an Opto River to fill the understable fairway slot which I found the bag missing a couple rounds in a row.

168 star destroyer S/OS
169 star destroyer S/OS
164 star destroyer S/US
171 pro destroyer US

172 apex alpha
172 apex alpha (beat)
169 eternal alpha
168 eternal alpha
172 opto river
175 star teebird
171 star teebird (beat)

180 dx roc (beat) US
180 dx roc S/US
180 dx roc S
180 kc roc OS

172 stego
174 bt soft harp
174 bt hard harp
175 nova
172 nova
175 sss warlock
175 sss warlock

Played a couple of rounds with my dad while visiting for the holidays. Threw a (greatly) reduced travel bag of spares. Lots of teebird shots, barely threw the destroyer as it was mostly tight wooded golf in MA. The change in altitude took more adjustment than I expected. Really wish I'd brought a OS fairway/firebird for the course I was playing. I was also surprised how well the vroc flew (borrowed it from my dad). It won't make my regular bag by any means, but it was a surprisingly capable stand in for my beat 'straight' roc.

175 star destroyer
168 gstar teebird3
174 gstar vroc
174 origio harp
175 sss warlock

Couple minor changes for the winter. Dropped one of the star destroyers in favor of a pro, changed out the KC pro for DX now that it's cold. Shot a solid -3 at Fehringer yesterday, highlight was driving pin high and hitting the 18 foot putt for birdie on #9 long (~470ft).

168 star destroyer OS
169 star destroyer S/OS
171 pro destroyer S
171 pro destroyer US
164 star destroyer US+

172 apex alpha
172 apex alpha
169 eternal alpha
168 eternal alpha
172 opto river
175 star teebird
171 star teebird

180 dx roc (beat) US+
180 dx roc US/S
180 dx roc S/OS
180 kc roc OS

172 stego
174 bt medium harp
174 bt hard harp
175 nova
175 glow nova

175 sss warlock
175 sss warlock

Do you find your alphas and teebirds overlapping? I've never thrown an alpha but thought they were pretty similar.

Do you find your alphas and teebirds overlapping? I've never thrown an alpha but thought they were pretty similar.

There's probably some overlap there, but for me they fill the thunderbird/firebird slots. The two I throw the most are yellow 2nd runs in Apex plastic, which are the most stable color/run. They both fly like firebirds, while having a consistent feel with the other two in my bag, which are stable but with more forward fade.

I think they get compared to teebird because both molds basically want to go straight with reliable fade. I find the teebirds a bit easier to stand up from hyzer, while the non yellow alphas will go straight on whatever line you put them. The beautiful thing about the alphas is that they behave the same at a variety of power levels. The teebirds have been in my bag longer and are so consistent that I still reach for them, but I could see the alphas replacing them eventually once they really beat in.

Some updates for the spring/summer. Toned down the number of alphas in the bag in favor of teebirds, and brought firebirds back. Picked up a super flat firebird which has a feel I really can't get from the aphas. Super comfy forehand. Rocs and destroyers have been cycled/swapped in and out as usual. Firmer warlocks now in for the warm weather.

168 star destroyer OS
168 star destroyer S/OS (2x wysocki)
169 star destroyer S (4x mcbeth)
172 pro destroyer US/S
171 pro destroyer US
171 pro destroyer US+

175 glow champ firebird (straighter)
171 champ firebird
171 champ eagle-x (11x)

172 apex alpha S (straighter)
172 apex alpha S/OS

175 metal flake teebird
175 star teebird
170 champ teebird (flippiest)

180 dx roc (beat) US
180 dx roc US/S
180 kc pro roc S/OS
180 kc pro roc OS (new)

174 bt medium harp (more stable)
174 bt hard harp
175 nova
175 glow nova

175 ss warlock
175 ss warlock

Played a few rounds with a much smaller bag while in MA visiting family, mostly woods golf. Everything flies a bit differently down at sea level.

175 star destroyer
170 champ firebird
168 gstar teebird

180 dx roc
174 origio harp
172 nova
176 ss warlock

Played a few rounds with a much smaller bag while in MA visiting family, mostly woods golf. Everything flies a bit differently down at sea level.

175 star destroyer
170 champ firebird
168 gstar teebird

180 dx roc
174 origio harp
172 nova
176 ss warlock

Solid bag for a fun day on the course. :thmbup:

Overdue for an update. Some changes to the fairway/driver lineup, and different rocs cycled in and out. Currently carrying a number of duplicates for practice shots, so plenty of overlap in all the faster discs. Lots of solo rounds this summer due to covid.

175 champ shryke S
175 champ shryke S/OS
172 pro destroyer S
169 star destroyer S/OS (fairly beat)
168 star destroyer OS (2x wysocki)

175 glow champ firebird(beat-ish)
175 glow champ firebird
171 champ firebird (faf)

175 glow champ teebird
175 star teebird
171 luster champ teebird
170 champ teebird

175 dx teebird
173 star tl3

180 kc pro roc (beat) US
180 dx glow roc US/S
180 dx S/OS (fresh-ish)
180 kc pro roc OS (new-ish)

174 medium harp
174 hard harp
175 glow p2
175 nova
175 nova

175 ss warlock
175 ss warlock

Pared down shoulder bag for quick rounds now that it's getting dark at an unreasonably early hour. Could probably drop any of the star destroyer, firebird, roc, star teebird and/or nova if I want to go really minimal and it's not too windy, but this covers almost all the flavors of my normal bag without duplicates.

168 star destroyer
172 pro destroyer

172 FAF champ firebird
172? 11x eagle (super flat)
168 star teebird
175 dx teebird

180 kc pro roc
176 esp comet
174 medium harp
175 glow nova

174 ss warlock

Been awhile since I've updated this thread. Nothing drastic has changed, but have had some minor rotation in the bag over the last year.

Finally gave up on star destroyers. Between the CO altitude and the natural beef of the stack of McBeth/Wysocki destroyers I have, they're doing more harm to my game than good. I lost a couple of the less stable, mild dome, ones I enjoyed throwing, and that plh and dome combo seems to be the exception rather than the rule within the production runs I've seen. Tried throwing Shrkyes for a bit, but never really connected with them. Recently picked up a few domier Wraiths and they're exactly what I've been missing. Kicking myself for not making the switch earlier. Also simplified my putter lineup to just warlocks in place of the warlock + p2 + Nova combo.

172 pro destroyer x2
175 star wraith x2

175 glow champ firebird
171 champ firebird(faf)

175 star teebird
171 champ teebird x2
173 star tl3
168 champ tl3

180 kc pro roc x2
180 dx roc x2

174 medium harp
174 hard harp

173-175 ss warlock (throwing)
175 sss warlock x2 (putting)

Thanks for the update. Always fun to read along over a multi-year transition.

Are those TL3s that much less stable? Or are you just generally cycling teebirds and happened to snag TL3s when you reached for the next bird?

Thanks for the update. Always fun to read along over a multi-year transition.

Are those TL3s that much less stable? Or are you just generally cycling teebirds and happened to snag TL3s when you reached for the next bird?

They're not that much less stable, but they are more workable out of the box than a fresh champ/star teebird is. They're fairly HSS so I can put some power onto them and they'll stand up and the fade straight similar to a seasoned teebird when new. I originally picked one up for shots where I'd otherwise throw my oldest champ teebird, but don't want to risk losing it. It probably started out a notch more stable than the really seasoned teebird, and has since beaten in to flip up and fade straight, or hold turnover lines nicely.

It takes so long to season a teebird that I've found the TL3 a great replacement/complement to the "seasoned teebird" flight for the less stable end of my teebird cycle.