• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jump Putt vs "Upshot" Putt

hanger129

Par Member
I cannot for the life of my figure out how to jump putt. The disc does not fly anywhere close to how my usual putting stroke does, and I feel like I have to throw the disc insanely high in the air to get anywhere near the basket, even on 40 or 50 foot putts.

On the flip side, if I use my normal upshot form I feel like I have a more realistic chance of getting in the basket. Is this just personal preference or is there an advantage to jump putting when outside the circle?

Personally love to use jump putting for upshots up to about 40m/130ft on flat ground as it's so consistent way to produce power and be accurate for me. What comes to mechanics I probably don't have it all figured out but basically it's ground up motion and I think good way to practise it would be throwing medicine ball up in the air from squat position.

If the arms are not connected to legs through torso, there's no way you can produce power from your legs and the disc/ball wont go anywhere. That's why I find the speculation of someones jump putt leaving the hand after foot leaving the ground nonsense because the player doing that wont get the power behind it. Only advantage in that I would see is jumping from behind some obstacle to side and throwing from air.

Found one video of me attempting a eagle run from about 30m/100ft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaWCa6eJ8j0

Remember this being little badly connected one, probably the reason it missed little low.

Last edited:
I never really understood the idea. Coming from a background of Frisbee, standing and spinning a disc toward the chains does not seem overly complicated. The jump putt has so many moving parts, finding consistency seems like a long and arduous journey....and often an illegal throw. Within the ranks of the amateur players, I have rarely seen anyone find more consistency with the jump putt.

I never really understood the idea. Coming from a background of Frisbee, standing and spinning a disc toward the chains does not seem overly complicated. The jump putt has so many moving parts, finding consistency seems like a long and arduous journey....and often an illegal throw. Within the ranks of the amateur players, I have rarely seen anyone find more consistency with the jump putt.

A jump putt for me, on the older side there is no jumping, is to take my normal putting stroke and just making sure I get a good follow thru towards the basket. It's just more of a step thru. It's helpful in the 80 to 90 foot range. Rarely used on 40 footer unless it is extremely up hill.

My goal for this type of putt is to get within 5 feet of the basket and landing perpendicular to the ground.

Latest posts