• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Just how hard is it using a black disc?

It isn't that hard to find during the day but I don't get black drivers or mids b/c when it starts to get dark it is defiantly easy to lose. I do like (non -driving) black putters though.

If you're throwing in a well-mown grassy field, they're easy to find.
Put one in a sun-mottled wooded course fairway, kinda tough.
Put one in the woods or on its edge in deep weeds, goodbye.
Put one in the water, well, maybe you'll feel it with your feet.

The only thing worse are tye dyed champion-type discs. You can lose those in your living room.

I always equate black disc to black cars... Awesome to own, pain in the butt to take care of.

If you play at courses that have little to no grass, trees, bushes, shadows, rocks, gully's, and the sun is usually out shining, then you can probably throw an entire bag of black discs and have no issues. Get one in a bush, or a ravine, or even in a slight shadow and good luck!

The only thing worse are tye dyed champion-type discs. You can lose those in your living room.

What is your living room color scheme? Sounds like a hippie love in :D

These are crazy easy to lose!

Blacks aren't too bad if they are non-driving discs or it's daylight in grass.

They are also significantly hotter in the hand. When I test them out on the driving range in the summer and go pick them up they are always a bit too hot to hold compared to discs of other colors

[/B]

What is your living room color scheme? Sounds like a hippie love in :D

I have two children under six. My living room is every color. :D
I just hate it when you're playing doubles or whatever with some kid whose bag is filled with tye dyes, black discs, or plastic "worth" over $40 per disc. Then proceed to lose them on each and every damn throw and expect you to help find them. There's a reason I prefer colors which contrast with the primary color of the season... white, red and yellow in summer; greens and blues in fall; yellow and blue in winter, and pink any time. Not just for my sake, but the sanity of my cardmates.

Last edited:
I use a black putter and have never lost one.

With that said sometimes common sense is the answer to a question. Of course black anything will be harder to find unless you're playing in snow. :)

somehow i have yet to lose my black star teebird, probably because it usually ends up in the fairway ;)

I use a black putter and have never lost one.
OH! This is the caveat to my "black disc to black cars" statement. :doh:

I too throw black putters, but only for close range and in the circle shots. Black putters are the crappy rattle-canned matte black beater cars of the disc world. :p

OH! This is the caveat to my "black disc to black cars" statement. :doh:

I too throw black putters, but only for close range and in the circle shots. Black putters are the crappy rattle-canned matte black beater cars of the disc world. :p

Beat black putters are worth their weight in gold. By the time they look grey for all the battle scars, they've earned their place in the wolf pack.

I have a black amp that I've never lost. He is really sweet and not getting lost. Not joking.

I have two children under six. My living room is every color. :D
I just hate it when you're playing doubles or whatever with some kid whose bag is filled with tye dyes, black discs, or plastic "worth" over $40 per disc. Then proceed to lose them on each and every damn throw and expect you to help find them. There's a reason I prefer colors which contrast with the primary color of the season... white, red and yellow in summer; greens and blues in fall; yellow and blue in winter, and pink any time. Not just for my sake, but the sanity of my cardmates.

I know what you mean about players like that, there's a guy who has all tye dye discs in my local league & he always seems to be my doubles partner :wall: I wish random dubs would actually mean random

Putters only. I have two black 2nd run ions I love, but wouldn't dare throw drivers or mids. Pretty much all my discs other than the putters are bright yellow, chartreuse, or orange.