• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Just how hard is it using a black disc?

Most people may find it weird that my favorite driver is a black GL Flow that has been in my bag for three years now, especially since most of my other discs are pink including some of my other Flows. I own many other Flows and none of them fly as good as blackie does. I have a backup for it that is still waiting its turn.

I have thrown black discs for years and I still own every one of them. Don't know if luck is on my side or what but I have had good luck finding them.

Of the discs I've found and returned, most were black. White is also a bad idea in an area such as mine where snow dominates half the year.

bought a black anode for snow use, doesn't work as well as bright colors because it doesnt reflect light as much. now i use it for risky water shots and ive spent awhile staring in the water only to find it right under my nose barely underwater. i mean i still have it but its definitely not easy to find.

Other than a putter or a trophy/momento disc, I would never want a black disc.
I just hate it when you're playing doubles or whatever with some kid whose bag is filled with tye dyes, black discs, or plastic "worth" over $40 per disc. Then proceed to lose them on each and every damn throw and expect you to help find them. There's a reason I prefer colors which contrast with the primary color of the season... white, red and yellow in summer; greens and blues in fall; yellow and blue in winter, and pink any time. Not just for my sake, but the sanity of my cardmates.

^what they said. I don't see the sense in people having green drivers either, but whatever works for you. Contrast is the key to visibility. I select discs that reduce the ratio of search time to play time.

Black for putters or for the winter. I have started to not use black putters in this crazy heat they do get warm quick.

Most people may find it weird that my favorite driver is a black GL Flow that has been in my bag for three years now

That is the only black disc I own. Only came close to losing it once but it is a solid flyer that I will break out every now and again.

I use my black amp more than my volt and shock. I am surprised I haven't lost it yet. LOL

Not to the golfers who play on sandy courses out west or close to beaches. I hear they love green discs.

Most of the grass in Colorado is always dead, so green is fair game here too.

I can't imagine black. Even normal blue is hard enough for me to spot.

I have two children under six. My living room is every color. :D
I just hate it when you're playing doubles or whatever with some kid whose bag is filled with tye dyes, black discs, or plastic "worth" over $40 per disc. Then proceed to lose them on each and every damn throw and expect you to help find them. There's a reason I prefer colors which contrast with the primary color of the season... white, red and yellow in summer; greens and blues in fall; yellow and blue in winter, and pink any time. Not just for my sake, but the sanity of my cardmates.

Love this...

darn - just got a black sinus since it was the only one in the wight I wanted. And I didn't plan to use it for a lot of putting... Let's see how it works out. I love the feel and flight of it though...
But I found that yellow is a pretty bad color as well - blue seems to be a lot better on drivers...

I was going to add but seems its already been covered....I will say though...

Probably harder then its worth.....Embrace the pink and almost never lose a disc unless you throw it in a pond.....

Buy them for Putters and collectors unless you want to lose them. We'll just keep it a that.

I use my MVP Amp all the time. It's black in neutron plastic. I love him, and he loves me. So there will not be any losing him anywhere going on.

I like to play after work and in the spring/autumn seasons when the days are shorter it can start to get pretty dark in the woods. I have a black neutron volt and a dark purple proton ion that can be difficult to find in the evening, but I am pretty bad at giving up on finding a disc...

Buy them for Putters and collectors unless you want to lose them. We'll just keep it a that.

Agreed. However, I have seen one guy that threw a very shiny black driver. He never lost it, but then again he kept it in the fairway...

Personally, I want to find a Real Tree disc. I'd totally buy that and keep it in my bag to mess with people when the look in my bag.

Latest posts