• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kansas City Wide Open

Oh I get that, and under the current rules it's fair for her to take the penalty, I'm just saying that it might be worth revisiting going forward. Other sports like golf or tennis would consider that perfectly acceptable attire for a major event, especially at the amateur level.

if anyone is anticipating footage on the show tonight, I wouldn't hold your breath. There wasn't a single camera following the lead card at any point and I didn't see anyone in DGPTV gear out on the course period.

just as an update on the tourney, Nikko killed it today. He missed a few putts that had him all up in arms, but still came out with the lead. Interesting twist that he, Leviska and McBeth (that I know of) threw a crazy sky anyhzyer trick shot over the mando tree on #9, instead of playing the hole as it was meant to be played, throwing left of the mando and staying in the fairway. It was huge risk/reward b/c if it stalls or hyzers out, you're in the deep stuff down by the creek. Technically it was legal, throwing a huge C shaped shot around the mando tree and avoiding the 900+ to the basket, but it's not how the hole is meant to be played. Nikko took a 3 while everybody else in the group went for 5. I've never seen anybody even think about that shot on that hole, much less try it. I guess it's just another way that the top flight guys stay on top, by looking for shots and taking advantage of technicalities in the rules that 99% of players would never think of. Next year TD said that the path that was played on that hole would be explicitly marked as OB.

Overall, it was very impressive watching the guys tear up big blue.

What course was that on, I'd be interested in seeing pictures and a course map to visualize what you're talking about a little better.

Wow, that's crazy. And funny that it's gonna be OB next year. LOL.

attachment.php

Rules are rules. No sleeves OR collar.

All the sudden i'm hungry for a baconator and I can't figure out why.:doh:

What did Finley say on Facebook? I don't really do the Facebook thing...

Looks like McBeth is doing his usual start off slow and then crush everyone in the final couple of rounds to pull out the win.

What course was that on, I'd be interested in seeing pictures and a course map to visualize what you're talking about a little better.

I'll try to give a rundown. Should have taken video because it was totally ridiculous. McBeth, Ulibarri, George Smith, Orum and one other all tried on the card in front, and thats where Nikko got the idea. Nikko, Cale, Nate Doss, Will and Brinster were all watching the card ahead and from where we were it looked to be missing the mando because they were throwing so high, but they must not have been. There was a lot of discussion amongst the top card before and during this hole.

This was the tee. Nikko slipped a bit because he was throwing it so high:
BM0X7B-CMAAiXwq.jpg:large

Nikko's general path. He ended up throwing a horshope shape that landed behind where the tee was:
KdFNL7L.png

Nikko's lie after 1st shot:
BM0aQqVCUAALuep.jpg:large

was about 300 to the hole straight. Nikko threw a backhand inside the circle and hit the putt. He was pumped to say the least. Cale tried the same thing and it turned over a bit and then he missed his birdie putt. Brinster, Will and Doss seemed to be discussing spirit of the hole and taking the moral high ground but Nikko took the risk and after this hole he really turned it on. Doss and Brinster couldn't seem to believe it.

tldr; ****in dgptv

Thanks for the description astomps, very cool. You've already surpassed DGP.TV's coverage of the event by a mile...

Thanks for the explanation, looks like a perfectly valid way to play the hole, but also a bit of a safety concern with the other holes in play. Perhaps designating another mando down near the dogleg on your hole diagram would solve that problem in an easier way than trying to lay out OB.

Will there be live coverage tomorrow for the finals? I sure hope so, otherwise the dgplanet crew should have stayed home

yeah, that's a very good description astomps. I didn't see the card before, but that's where they got the idea for sure. As far as I know, no one's ever attempted that kind of thing before. I've never even heard of it. Everybody sees the mando tree just to right of the tee and throws an anhyzer to try to land in the fairway up ahead, which is a hard dogleg right. 950 to the pin is pretty much straight distance, but the hole plays much longer b/c of elevation. Nikko did hit it just right and basically threw a super sky anyhyzer that passed just to the left of the mando tree on it's way to curl back around it and land what looked to be less that 200' directly to the right of the tee. Must've been 150' up in the air and basically flew like a big upside down U shape. Like a horseshoe. He avoided the fairway altogether and basically landed directly to the right of the tee and then had 300' downhill to the pin and hit the putt for an eagle.

That was a turning point for sure. The way he played 9 crossed directly through 11's fairway, but since it technically passed on the left side of the mando tree, it was legal. You can see in the pic how the teepad is C shaped. The pads pretty much mirror the fairway as the hole is designed to be played. The landing zone is intended to be up the hill by the big tree (or right of it if you can get there) that you can see above Nikko's left shoulder in the pic. It's 300+ away and very uphill. So the play was legal since there were no other trees marked as mando farther down the fairway. Only the 1 close to the pad.

Thanks for putting up those pics. It helps to illustrate how crazy it was. Brinster, Doss, and Shusterick weren't really happy w/ the play b/c of how not in the spirit of the hole it was, so they played through the fairway as usual on principle. I'm sure any of them could have thrown a big high forehand around the tree and been in pretty much the same spot. If nothing else it was extremely creative, but as mentioned the guys on the top card only saw it b/c of the players in the group directly before them that played it that way. It was someone on that card that was the true innovator. Not sure who it was, but they do deserve credit for seeing the "loophole" as it were and attempting the shot in the first place.

Some video would be so clutch.

to expand on that, according to legend more or less, back in 09 at Worlds, there was no Mando, and everyone just threw for the basket, probably not in the same fashion as Nikko, but in that direction. Because of that, they have added a mando, but it clearly is not forcing players to play it as intended.

This is something that I bet a lot of guys have been eyeing in practice, as Feldberg was 2 cards ahead and was playing 11 after Nikko had thrown and said he told Jeremy Koling to try the same thing.

One other point of interest, it seems that the whole reason Nikko went for it was based on the result of McBeth's shot on the card ahead. McBeth had made a similar, probably better shot than Nikko and Nikko went down while McBeth was getting ready to throw to see his lie. There was also a delay while 11 was playing through before Nikko's shot, so all told, Nikko had the tee for about 7 minutes before he threw. Brinster made a comment about this but not much else was said.

Hole 9 at Blue Valley is by far the hardest hole in the entire tournament. It's a double dog-leg right that really can't be appreciated on the map.

Like was said, there is a mando tree probably 50 feet from the tee to prevent people from doing this, but apparently it's still possible. And it should be noted, Nikko would have to play directly across hole #11s fairway on his 2nd shot.

In my opinion, there needs to be a mando further up on the fairway. The only problem is forcing people to throw a certain shot instead of leaving room for improvisation. There are ways to cut over parts of the woods instead of playing the normal fairways, but most of them still stick to the original design of the hole somewhat. The shot Nikko threw isn't even close to the intention of the hole.

Mcbeth used that sky anny for the last two years at the wintertime open to birdie a par 4, 750+ footer. Not saying he came up with this route...but it wouldn't surprise me.

Well hopefully someone is out there, getting some kind of footage, and while not live, it will probably be better quality anyway.

Thanks for the description astomps, very cool. You've already surpassed DGP.TV's coverage of the event by a mile...

thanks for the info! wish there was video but sounds like disc golf planet TV is no longer showing disc golf....i wish Disc Golf Monthly was doing the coverage.