• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Katana stability (or lack of) questions

Soups

Par Member
Hi everyone,

Been recently messing around with a Pro Katana (in particular as a tailwind driver). I quite like it, but it can be a bit twitchy - I assume in part to technique. However ignoring that, I was wondering what stability was like in the other plastics (excluding Blizzard).

As I say I like the Pro, it felt nice - but was wondering how it performed in Champ/Echo Star/Star?

I have a Star Katana, 167g, that will always have a place in my bag (until I lose it).
I find it great for long open holes where you can really get some snap on it.
It'll flip up, glide forever, then fade back nicely.
When it was new, I used it for long open hyzers, as it became beat it just got better.

They're all a touch flippy, though there's a very noticeable increase in stability in the champs/stars I've thrown.

Get a super Flat one in Champ or Star there Nice and not nearly as flippy

I once had a star that made a perfect s curve and a champ that was actually a little overstable. I lost the star and sold the champ. Bought a blizz and it is quite flippy but can go very far if thrown right in good conditions.

I had a 173g champ katana. It was too flippy for my liking. You may want to try a nuke, they're great for long turnover drives

have four Katana's...
1) 174 Pro, really flipppppppyyy
2) 174 CFR Am Championships 2010...like a CE FX but faster.
3) 164 starlite(dyed) that is as stable or more than the CFR.
4) 175 Champ(regular run) falls in between discs 1 and 2(closer to 1)

I don't throw any of them anymore.

Exactly. I'll throw my trak on holes where I'd end up 40' short, but with the slow speed and tailwind it'll go further and won't fall out of the sky when it slows down.

Me thinks you might be confuzzled:\

Why is that? I don't even have a big arm and a 167-169g X Nuke is pretty flippy for me. Great for hyzer flips up hills or distance turnovers. An ESP Nuke in the same weight range hardly turns at all for me, but the X does easily.

I have two 168 2010 Am Champ "Cowtanas" that I think were the best run of all the katanas that I have thrown including pro, star, blizzard (although my copy was nice and stable), and regular run champions. They were not to overstable and they didn't automatically flip over on me when thrown. I do agree with CoolWinnebago on the nukes though, since I took my Katanas out of the bag once I got a hold of the Nuke too. Both of those discs fly basically the same for me, the nuke just consistantly goes farther. That said, the only nukes I care to throw are the 1st run Zs because I think they were the best run produced of those as well. Anybody else agree that the cowtanas are the best katanas produced to date?

That is what my CFR one is...I don't like mine, it is too stable (for me)in the heavy weights. I might like a 168-171. The max weight are for big arms only.

When the Katana and Nuke first came out I was test flying them both. I had an ESP Nuke and a Star Katana. I had some wonderfully beautiful flies with the Katana; however, it was quite sensitive to nose angle. The Nuke offered some serious bombs as well and it was a much more consistent flyer. I don't remember the exact number, but, I must've gone like the first 15-20 throws without a single miss - hit the line every time. I couldn't say that about the Katana. Needless to say, the Nuke has been a mainstay in the bag.

Latest posts