• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Know of Any Videos of Pro Stand Still Form?

Discusted

Par Member
So I'm scouring the YouTube looking for examples of Pro Stand Still Shots and they seem to be few and far between. I was wondering if people around these parts know of any videos that show Disc Golf Pros and their stand still forms. Preferably I want to see stand still, and not one step throws.

I've found one so far of Will Schusterick stand still shot I'll link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30cUNsWOYSI

Anyone know of any more stand still videos?

Yeah, there's not really much out there. IMO the way Schusterick leans back over the rear leg in the backswing is not ideal or easy for learning. The other footage you might find of pros are not full swing shots, more like long approach shots. Steve Brinster and Tyler Horne are well known for their standstill shots, but they are somewhere mixed in tourney footage. I think CCDG had a couple of KJ Nybo and Nate Doss from Ledgestone last year.

This is me, I don't consider it a one step, it's very much like ball golfers that let the front heel come up in the backswing like Jack Nicklaus, but I'm turning back so far because it's one arm swing vs two arms, it comes all the way up and automatically strides about 6" forward because of all the loading.

Not sure how good it is but this vid with Jay Reading is pretty concise, if a bit older, and a lot of the demo throws are done from a standstill starting around the 4:00 min mark. He chats about quite a lot of other aspects of the game too. For me this one was pretty helpful in hitting certain distances.
I believe he hits on most of the pieces to a throw that sidewinder has broken down and has drills for too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IT7aABWEKw

^I'm almost positive he used to be a dgcr regular. I think his screen name is/was gcrussel or something like that.

I'm thinking the same thing. At one point he was talking about making a video on standstill drives.

When he drives he is essentially doing the one leg drill!

Hmm so Graham Russel looks to be a predominantly stand still back hand throwing pro!? Looked up some more vids for his form, i'll post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e55725qkwIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8gv8HoaQHM
Yeah, he can't do anything but standstill or it hurts his knee. He had a previous injury so it's all stand and deliver, all the time. I think in that Maricopa Open vid he actually does a short segment on a standstill tutorial.
^I'm almost positive he used to be a dgcr regular. I think his screen name is/was gcrussel or something like that.

He is/was.

I think the will one posted by OP is still the best one ive seen. I never realized how much hip action is still possible on a standstill

Last edited:
I think you guys forgot about this one from 2011. It's not great quality but it's Schusterick, McBeth, Nikko, Uli, Feldy throwing from one step or standstill (downhill).

I think you guys forgot about this one from 2011. It's not great quality but it's Schusterick, McBeth, Nikko, Uli, Feldy throwing from one step or standstill (downhill).

Cool video! I see some of them really load back on that back leg, bending at the knee. Then I see a guy like Feldberg barely do it.

Cool video! I see some of them really load back on that back leg, bending at the knee. Then I see a guy like Feldberg barely do it.

At 31 seconds Feldberg has all his weight on the back leg. You can see his front foot not even touching the ground. The amount of bend isn't necessarily indicative of how much the leg is loaded.

At 31 seconds Feldberg has all his weight on the back leg. You can see his front foot not even touching the ground. The amount of bend isn't necessarily indicative of how much the leg is loaded.

What confuses me is the Shawn Clement weight shift video that says keep braced onto the front foot even in the backswing.

What confuses me is the Shawn Clement weight shift video that says keep braced onto the front foot even in the backswing.
No, even during a golf swing the front foot will become deweighted during the backswing even if it does remain on the ground. The key is how you start the downswing. That's the "shift from behind" you may have heard about. The first move that he makes in the downswing is getting braced on the front foot. What lot of people do is starting swinging the arms or the shoulders or the hips, before they've gotten the ground with their plant foot. It's about establishing the tilted spiral before it unwinds, otherwise you've got nothing to swing "against".

If you are talking about the one leg drill, yes all the weight remains on the front leg, but you are taking the weight shift out of it.

Last edited:

No, even during a golf swing the front foot will become deweighted during the backswing even if it does remain on the ground. The key is how you start the downswing. That's the "shift from behind" you may have heard about. The first move that he makes in the downswing is getting braced on the front foot. What lot of people do is starting swinging the arms or the shoulders or the hips, before they've gotten the ground with their plant foot. It's about establishing the tilted spiral before it unwinds, otherwise you've got nothing to swing "against".

If you are talking about the one leg drill, yes all the weight remains on the front leg, but you are taking the weight shift out of it.
Yeah, in Best Downswing Weightshift he talks about One Leg Drill(and Feet Together) - you are already planted so you stay braced on it because there is no weightshift back to the rear leg in the backswing. When you go back to two legs and widen the stance it opens up a can of worms because you do need to shift your weight back and forth. The weightshift is not really the intention though, you need to shift your weight so that you can turn back and forth unimpeded and make a longer swing.