• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Large Diameter Discs

Moose33

Stego Connoisseur
Gold level trusted reviewer
Hey guys,

Quick question about the large diameter discs like the Condor/Zephyr;

I'm thinking about carrying one as a throw and catch disc to leave in my car bag and for warmups. I also have a friend that uses one for approaches and floaty mid range shots and am kind of interested in seeing if it might have bag utility.

Does anyone throw a large diameter disc, if so which one and what do you use it for?

Thanks in advance!

I bought a couple of Zephyrs recently for toss and catch with my son. First I got one at 187g but it hurt to catch it sometimes. My son and I are much happier with the second purchase, a 155g Zephyr.

I mostly use the Condor for thumb rollers. I throw it backhand sometimes for a longer approach; they don't skip much so you can pretty much go right at the basket with one. You can use one as a mid, but I don't.

I carry a Zephyr, but IMO it's not a very unique disc. It overlaps with an XD a lot for me. It's also terrible for putting. It freaks people out when you throw it, though. I carry it around just for that.

I carry a Zephyr as a utility disc for most tournaments and tightly wooded courses, even though it's a major pain to fit in most bags.
(seems counterintuitive that the tighter the course the bigger the disc, I know, but one of the areas the Zephyr excels in is being able to throw tight gaps and restricted shots very slowly or with little power and have it glide a long way.)
Might not shoot it much on any given day/course, but when it comes out it rarely fails to deliver.
Friend got me hooked on it last year when I thought disc golf had ruined me from throwing lids right for many years.

I have a condor that I like to throw around for fun/warm up but on the course it would be used only for rollers... If i had a caddy it and a few other discs would come along but if Im throwing a roller it meants that something has already gone wrong.

Has anyone ever seen someone carry a Discraft Ultrastar? They're PDGA Legal but I've never seen anyone other than my Ultimate buddies use one.

I mostly use the Condor for thumb rollers. I throw it backhand sometimes for a longer approach; they don't skip much so you can pretty much go right at the basket with one. You can use one as a mid, but I don't.

I carry a Zephyr, but IMO it's not a very unique disc. It overlaps with an XD a lot for me. It's also terrible for putting. It freaks people out when you throw it, though. I carry it around just for that.

I keep hearing that people use these for "thumb rollers" - what is a thumb roller and why is the condor a good disc for the throw?

A google search did not give me the info I was looking for.

I keep hearing that people use these for "thumb rollers" - what is a thumb roller and why is the condor a good disc for the throw?

It's when you hold the disc like you would when your throwing a thumber, but you throw is lower intending it to hit the ground and roll. Personally, I throw my rollers like a flick.

Has anyone ever seen someone carry a Discraft Ultrastar? They're PDGA Legal but I've never seen anyone other than my Ultimate buddies use one.

the ultimate discs? if so i should keep one. it taught me everything i know

It's when you hold the disc like you would when your throwing a thumber, but you throw is lower intending it to hit the ground and roll. Personally, I throw my rollers like a flick.

Since rollers generally end up rolling out on the flight plate side, a right hander throws a hammer to end left, and a thumber to end right. Backhand is another story.

I occasionally throw a Superhero. It's also the best catch disc on the market in my opinion.

I like the zephyr, a lot more than the condor.
Slow and floaty fun disc.
But I can't fit either one in my bag, so they get left at home or in the car.
I could see where the condor would roll nice being so big.

I am in love with the new champ zephyr I got. I have carried it in a couple rounds, but haven't found a shot where I needed it yet. Makes a fun disc for seeing who can throw the farthest, or playing catch with. My dog also loves it much to my displeasure, but she hasn't put a dent in it yet!

I have a condor around too but it isn't that great in my opinion. I got a 180 DX. I should have either gotten a heavier one, or one made of a better material.

Condors are good thumb rollers for the same reason that soapbox cars with big bicycle wheels go faster than soapbox cars with lawnmower wheels. One rotation around takes it farther than one rotation around with a smaller diameter disc.

Since rollers generally end up rolling out on the flight plate side, a right hander throws a hammer to end left, and a thumber to end right. Backhand is another story.
Thumb rollers usually end left the same as a forehand roller. To me they are very similar shots; I use the thumb roller in a spot where I want the disc on the ground quickly and the forehand roller in a spot where I want the disc to get out there in the air a bit before it hits the ground. To get one to finish right I have to throw a cut roller (which kills the distance) or a backhand roller. You can also throw a scoobie roller, but those are really touchy and I usually screw them up to where they go way right the minute they hit the ground.

Hey guys, you're welcome for the necro bump.

I was thinking the other day watching some coverage, that it seems like I would be pretty comfortable throwing floaty, touchy upshots with a larger diameter speed-2 or so disc. Something like an Aviar but bigger - I guess maybe that's the Aero??

Looking at the profile of the Aero on the innova site though, it looks a little too Mako-ish or even Dart-ish... I am thinking like a true blue beveled Aviar shaped nose and rim width, but in a wider diameter package.

Imagine a disc that coexists in a bag with a Proxy - like, super straight, but also super slow and able to be better controlled on slow annys and such.

I think what I am looking for is like, a beveled Polecat in 180g. :confused:

I have no memory of writing this OP, but I bought a Condor and it worked for what I wanted it to be. Good warmup disc and single rounder if nothing else in the car.

As far as the larger beveled Polecat you seek... no idea. If you can find a plastic addicts Habit, I remember it being close to that but haven't seen any for sale lately.

I was thinking the other day watching some coverage, that it seems like I would be pretty comfortable throwing floaty, touchy upshots with a larger diameter speed-2 or so disc. Something like an Aviar but bigger - I guess maybe that's the Aero??

Looking at the profile of the Aero on the innova site though, it looks a little too Mako-ish or even Dart-ish... I am thinking like a true blue beveled Aviar shaped nose and rim width, but in a wider diameter package.

Imagine a disc that coexists in a bag with a Proxy - like, super straight, but also super slow and able to be better controlled on slow annys and such.

The Champ Aero was great for this but it is a rounded rim like a Roach or Mako. For something with more of a beveled rim, I think you're purdy much stuck with a Condor (go lightweight for floaty).

I just got a Bite in to try out for this actually (mostly just to have a catch disc). I used to use a Superhero which was really fun but it was a little too flippy and/or light to seamlessly throw along regular golf discs. The Bite is a bit heavier and seems a bit more overstable so it might work. I do not love the rim in a fan grip though but it does feel better in a power grip than the Superhero.

A beveled Polecat with a larger diameter? Sounds like a Comet. The Habit/Zeppelin is a great choice too. So fun to throw.

I have no memory of writing this OP, but I bought a Condor and it worked for what I wanted it to be. Good warmup disc and single rounder if nothing else in the car.

As far as the larger beveled Polecat you seek... no idea. If you can find a plastic addicts Habit, I remember it being close to that but haven't seen any for sale lately.
Yeah, you are looking for an 2011 Ace Race Zeppelin (which Discraft never put into full production) or the Plastic Addicts Habit, which used the Zeppelin mold. Neither one is currently easy to find for a decent price, but they are around. Big, floaty putter-shaped larger diameter disc.

The Aero to me is like the slowest, straightest mid ever made. I've always really liked them and have never been able to figure out what I'd actually use it for.

Last edited:

Latest posts