• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Latitude 64 Parent Company Acquires Dynamic Discs

The majority of new disc manufacturers won't be around in five years.

There will still be room for niche dye/hotstamp marketers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230309-071434.jpg
    Screenshot_20230309-071434.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 102
The majority of new disc manufacturers won't be around in five years.

There will still be room for niche dye/hotstamp marketers.

That's a stagnant and fixed mindset. If the sport grows then demand grows and it won't be an issue.

Of course some will fail no matter what, but that is a separate issue.

something feels a little slimy about this 'House of Discs' thing. I didn't necessarily dislike trilogy discs previously, but definitely didn't go out of my way to get them due to past DD issues...now I have even more of a reason to actively avoid their products. It just doesn't feel right that a company only about making money is getting into disc golf like this.

Doubly unfortunate since I just picked up a couple of Graces, since they were finally in stock again (since the last time I looked at least)

That's a stagnant and fixed mindset. If the sport grows then demand grows and it won't be an issue.

It's the growth in demand that will drive much bigger players to beat the smaller players on price.

I haven't read up on this cuz I don't bag any trilogy stuff besides the Grace occasionally. Wondering why we hate venture capitalists?

"Greed is good" - Gordon Gekko

Let's be honest. Does it really matter who owns what disc company? There will always be discs and the last thing I think about ever is who owns the company. I am more worried about thing like:

1. I can make my line. ****.

2. I hope I find the thing after a massive tree kick.

3. That throw may end poorly.
4. Well it's in the water and gone for ever.
5. Did you bring a beer for me?
6. Hope it stops raining before my round.
7. A cheeseburger would be nice about now.
8. Did I lock the car?
9. I stepped in dog crap again.
10. Hey look, another green bag of dog crap, who knew that's what the course needed......
11. Should have taken a dump before I left the house.....
12 At what point did the layout of the hole seem like a good idea?
13. Oh yes, put as many trees in and around and in front of and on the way to the basket as possible so we can be pissed of when we miss the putt and it rolls away in to a thorn bush surrounded by water. Oh, and the poison ivy......and ants, yes ants. and bees not honey bees, yellow jackets, they're the best.

In fact I can't ever remember caring at all. And still don't. As you can see I have a lot going on in my brain at any moment.

I am willing to bet that until this moment none of you/us/me ever really cared, we just wanted to whine about something as we always seem to do.....

I'm not really concerned tbh. The president of the venture capital company is a discer and co-founder of Lat64, so it's not like some faceless corporation is buying its way into something it knows nothing about. Plus Rusco is joining the board that already has Tomas Ekström and other long-time Lat64 execs.

David-Berglund-300x169.jpeg

House of Discs CEO and Latitude 64 co-founder David Berglund.

Let's be honest. Does it really matter who owns what disc company? There will always be discs and the last thing I think about ever is who owns the company. I am more worried about thing like:

1. I can make my line. ****.

2. I hope I find the thing after a massive tree kick.

3. That throw may end poorly.
4. Well it's in the water and gone for ever.
5. Did you bring a beer for me?
6. Hope it stops raining before my round.
7. A cheeseburger would be nice about now.
8. Did I lock the car?
9. I stepped in dog crap again.
10. Hey look, another green bag of dog crap, who knew that's what the course needed......
11. Should have taken a dump before I left the house.....
12 At what point did the layout of the hole seem like a good idea?
13. Oh yes, put as many trees in and around and in front of and on the way to the basket as possible so we can be pissed of when we miss the putt and it rolls away in to a thorn bush surrounded by water. Oh, and the poison ivy......and ants, yes ants. and bees not honey bees, yellow jackets, they're the best.

In fact I can't ever remember caring at all. And still don't. As you can see I have a lot going on in my brain at any moment.

I am willing to bet that until this moment none of you/us/me ever really cared, we just wanted to whine about something as we always seem to do.....

14. If I end up really liking a disc, will it stay in production?

Rusco indicates in The Upshot interview that House of Discs is working on acquiring additional companies and pushing gambling opportunities.

I work in the metal distribution industry. When our company was bought by a holding company that was formed by one of our competitors, I was concerned... by the fact it was a holding company that I thought would just be in it for quarterly profit. To my surprise, since this holding company only acquired metal distributors, they knew the business inside and out. Sucking the companies dry wasn't the goal... growth was the goal. When investment is needed, it happens. It's the best thing that could've happened to us. Being that House of Discs is disc golf focused, this could be a very good thing for Trilogy + Kastaplast. As long as it's structured to have independent brand names, with understanding top management.

Poor Westside. My favorite brand lost in the shuffle once, now again and even deeper.

I concur.

Westside discs have always been a favorite of mine. Ever since I threw my first Northman, I was hooked. Westside continues to be the majority of my bag. 2 VIP Air Kings, Tournament King, VIP Air Hatchet, Tournament Northman, VIP Fortress, VIP Gatekeeper. I also bag a couple of DD Judges, a Warden, and a Lat 64 Pure. Well over half my bag is Trilogy, the rest are Innova and one lone DisCraft Challenger (my roller putter).

Does this make anyone else want to throw less DD, Westside, Lat64, or even Discmania? Makes me want to switch more over to MVP and use the old Discmania molds offered by Infinite & Innova. Have a lot of back up discs though from Discmania.

The upshot interview with Russo was an okay listen. Reinforced some of the reasons I removed DD from my bag 5 or so years ago.

Gambling in disc golf…. The sport has changed from the earlier 2000's when it was used as an escaped from the dorms to park take in less than legal activities.

With the money house of discs has I wonder if they'll start outbidding other companies for players. If MVP can afford to pay Simon 1 mill per year what can house of discs afford?

Latest posts