• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude Overmolds

The only thing I'd put money on is that they'll be really pretty. I like me some purdy discs. I wonder if they'll make an OM Fuse.

That beetle that was shown earlier in the thread has very similar dimensions to the fuse, but deeper- of it is an overmold

He didn't say they were pointless.

He said (in his opinion) that they had a neglible effect on the flight of a disc, considering most discs already have the majority of their weight in the wing.

Besides that, I don't think Innova's overmolds are about "gyro", I believe they are about better grip and basically a marketing thing beyond that.

Although I think that overall safety (i.e. someone getting hit by an overmolded disc with soft outer plastic versus hard edge) is also a factor.

Perhaps why you only see Innova's overmolds on a putter and mid, with soft/gummy outer plastic.

This is important...not that I'm a big Dave D or Innova fan. :D

"the wing" defines a large area of disc. imagine the difference in volume at the rim wall vs. at the nose. dual densities require a more granular view than "the wing".

"the wing" defines a large area of disc. imagine the difference in volume at the rim wall vs. at the nose. dual densities require a more granular view than "the wing".

I understand that.

Why I put a few qualifiers in there, as it was in reference to Dave D's deal.

I'm not saying all of the weight is pushed out to the nose on the majority of frisbees.

I can follow the science behind MVP's deal and FWIW, I've always thought the Ion and Vector flew great.

I still have a couple 1st run Vectors.

I like the idea of companies making overmolds of discs that are currently one piece. Even more shots covered with one mold sounds great. Instead of going by just plh, dome and overall disc weight we can add weight distribution to the equation.

People throw Lat64 to get crazy glide, I don't know if they're going to be able to activate the gyro.

Am I the only one who doesn't think Trilogy has more glide then a lot of discs from a lot of other makers?

I mean I thought the Discraft Heat was easily as glidey as any of the Trilogy discs and in better plastic.

My meme was for the entire thread. I love seeing stuff like this mwhahahahahahaha

Am I the only one who doesn't think Trilogy has more glide then a lot of discs from a lot of other makers?

I mean I thought the Discraft Heat was easily as glidey as any of the Trilogy discs and in better plastic.

Bingo. They only think they glide better because Lat fudges their flight numbers to get lemmings pretending they do. But it's like GYRO, pure marketing.

Bingo. They only think they glide better because Lat fudges their flight numbers to get lemmings pretending they do.

That's funny, considering your avatar. They should make a Wizard with a Lemmings stamp.

That's funny, considering your avatar. They should make a Wizard with a Lemmings stamp.

Nice try.

Lemming:

tnc150211_lemming_1280_1.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg

Groundhog (my avatar):

groundhog_stockphoto.jpg

I personally think there's absolutely a difference in flight for overmolds. I feel that it locks in on a line really well and cuts through the air as opposed to a float-ier glide type flight.

I primarily throw Discraft and Trilogy as my distance drivers because I can get more effortless distance out of that speed class from them. If I was a higher powered player (350-500) - and therefore better able to activate the gyro - I would definitely consider more MVP/Axiom (or Lat 64 OM) drivers. Maybe someday. I love driving the Proxy and Envy but that's probably because I'm better able to activate the gyro in a lower speed disc...

Anyway, interesting to see from Latitude. Cheers

Bingo. They only think they glide better because Lat fudges their flight numbers to get lemmings pretending they do. But it's like GYRO, pure marketing.

I am not saying I wouldn't throw Trilogy (I am probably going to grab a Slammer) but they have to be the most overhyped discs. I mean some of the plastics are nice and some aren't anything special. They aren't any more consistent then Innova or Discraft or anyone else. They haven't done anything revolutionary to develop disc technology. But there is so much nut swinging about them it is uber annoying.

Some of it is number fudge, a lot of it is the discs being more understable than the numbers suggest so that when normal players can actually get a full flight, they have way more glide compared to their closest rivals. Also some of it is what you're comparing against...if you try to put a Core/Claymore against a Buzzz, because they are similar in a lot of ways, it is pretty obvious those Lat discs have way more glide, but at the cost of ranging. The River is a very glidey disc, but still the correct Teebird gets similar distance and is more predictable. I thought the Saint was also super glidey but then realized Sidewinders do the same...so in that case I feel marketing got me.

I like a lot of Trilogy discs and in general I feel like they lean a little more towards the glide rather than speed side, like Innova discs tend to...at least out of the box. But if you throw Pro/Gstar or have a beat Innova disc it's not like Lat has some ingredient that the other manufacturer's can't match.