• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Lava

Its time for some serious plastic name consolidation from these guys.

Its like RDG having all these weird names for their gateway blends when people just want to know what gateway blend they are like anyways lol...

More plastics isn't the problem but why make it more confusing for buyers who are not disc geeks like us?

and if I was a Triology retailer *&#^$&@*#&)(*&$#*&@!!!!!!!!!

Any more confusing than explaining the similarity/difference between Discraft's plastics and Innova's? Or Prodigy's and Legacy's?

Yes, the production of all these discs happens in the same factory, but we're still talking about three separate brands with three separate lines of discs. There may come a day when one or all of them decide to break away and do their own manufacturing. Wouldn't they want their own distinct brand unassociated with any other in that case?

"Trilogy" is an invention of the "fans" of the companies. Yes, it's been embraced to a degree (Trilogy Challenge) but Dynamic Discs, Latitude 64 and Westside still operate and want to be viewed as three separate, autonomous brands.

I think you forgot their Blizzard versions too. And Zero does come in three versions right? Are there also three Classic and BT versions as well?

I see Aim's point, but also agree with JC. These are brands that want their own identity, even as part of a whole. The same goes for RDG.

Seems odd to try and rebrand something which already has a known and successful name though specially if its coming from the same mama' History has shown its possible to build a company with an already successful named product being incorporated. Shoes which use vibram soles are a great example here in disc golf alone.

So I saw a video on the Dynamic Discs facebook page. It was pretty much just the word Lava, and then it said Dynamic Discs. Pretty useless video. But. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's another new plastic.

There are probably a few things it could be.

1. Lavashift or whatever they called it back in the good ol' days.
2. Discs that magically stay warm in the winter. Plastic + Handwarmer combo? :eek:
3. Discs that burn straight through trees and such so they don't get knocked around.

Alright, it might not be the last one. Or the middle one. Or even the first one.

But really? Another plastic? Of course, I'm just assuming it's a plastic.

Discuss.

Any more info or dates being mentioned anywhere out there? Facebook maybe?

All these new plastics seem to be having an AWFUL impact on each of these company's profit margins and the overall popularity of their brands.

/sarcasm

In reality, those who can't keep 20 or so bits of simple to understand information straight probably aren't the target market.

Most folks appear to be happy to have more plastic choices.

It'll all be fine, :p I'm interested in hearing more info as it comes through.

"Trilogy" is an invention of the "fans" of the companies. Yes, it's been embraced to a degree (Trilogy Challenge) but Dynamic Discs, Latitude 64 and Westside still operate and want to be viewed as three separate, autonomous brands.
Not really sure about how the term came to life, but today it is most certainly a more concrete concept than just a fanboy term.

Trilogy players use molds from the three companies freely. There are Trilogy challenges. There are a lot of different stamps and stickers with the Trilogy theme. Also their marketing uses Trilogy which benefits three companies at one once.

The Trilogy branding in itself makes me think it would be quite hard for one of them to go solo.

Not really sure about how the term came to life, but today it is most certainly a more concrete concept than just a fanboy term.

Trilogy players use molds from the three companies freely. There are Trilogy challenges. There are a lot of different stamps and stickers with the Trilogy theme. Also their marketing uses Trilogy which benefits three companies at one once.

The Trilogy branding in itself makes me think it would be quite hard for one of them to go solo.

As a player sponsored by Latitude and Westside, I can tell you without hesitation that what I said is the truth. We're actually encouraged to not use the term "trilogy" when referencing the companies and the discs. Trilogy Challenge and support of the "Team Trilogy" fan club are really the only uses of that word that they utilize with any regularity. Otherwise, they are independent companies with independent brands/branding that has little to do with the word "Trilogy".

As a player sponsored by Latitude and Westside, I can tell you without hesitation that what I said is the truth. We're actually encouraged to not use the term "trilogy" when referencing the companies and the discs.

Interesting. I assume you are allowed to throw Dynamic Discs if you chose too, right?

As a player sponsored by Latitude and Westside, I can tell you without hesitation that what I said is the truth. We're actually encouraged to not use the term "trilogy" when referencing the companies and the discs. Trilogy Challenge and support of the "Team Trilogy" fan club are really the only uses of that word that they utilize with any regularity. Otherwise, they are independent companies with independent brands/branding that has little to do with the word "Trilogy".

Interesting. As a wholesaler for them (new one at that), I noticed they have "Trilogy" branded merchandise. From the padded envelope mailers to mini markers to lanyards.

Interesting. I assume you are allowed to throw Dynamic Discs if you chose too, right?

I am allowed to throw anything produced by Latitude, so that includes Dynamic. It's really no different than a Discmania player being allowed to throw discs branded by Innova or vice-versa. There's no overarching name combining Innova, Discmania, and Millennium into one perceived conglomerate because all the discs are manufactured in the same factory.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the concept of Trilogy and all that. There's just a growing misconception that Trilogy is a single company with three branches, which is not the case. It's three companies that have some collaborative projects that utilize the term "Trilogy". Some might say it's just a matter of semantics, but when it comes to brand recognition, it's an important distinction for businesses.

Lava Plastic!

This is a break thru for disc grip technology with a surprise partnering deal with Lava Soap.

The "Power of Pumice" has been added to the plastic mix to provide MAXIMUM grip in ALL conditions! Wet, dry, mud, it doesn't matter...just grip it and rip it! No cleaning, towels, or washing needed.

Bonus uses include emergency sanding repair on a lower quality disc, washing your grimy paws after odd jobs, stain remover/scrubber for laundry day, and various other used YOU can discover!

Coming soon to a DG retailer near you, or a infomercial....:\

Last edited:
If I see a "Lava" disc, I'm going to start calling "THE DISC IS LAVA!" And they better drop it before their hand burns off.

DD just released some fundraiser Lava Felons on their site

So sad that Lava doesnt look like the old "Lava shift" discs.

I was waaaaay more interested in the Rocky Mountain Fluid Felons at DD. I want one bad. My only concern is how far off the stock run is. I dont want an irreplaceable addiction.

Ooo, Moonshines along with the Lava.. fancy.

Anyone brave enough to try the Lava, do let us know how it handles. And be careful of Streets shouting "It's Lava!!!" as you're teeing up.

Latest posts