• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Least Favorite course rated 4/5 or better?

VisionQuest tops the list for me. So much damn fluff.
Idlewild is kinda overrated, IMO.
Blue Ribbon Pines is a touch overrated, in my book.

Yeah BRP has always been hyped but atleast upgraded/improved my entire DG life. Same with Bryant Lake. Neither of those are my favorites but many peeps love to play them. Can say it is never a bad time. Few things at VQ i actually hate like the floating dock and pointless hill. Such a weird place.

Yeah BRP has always been hyped but atleast upgraded/improved my entire DG life. Same with Bryant Lake. Neither of those are my favorites but many peeps love to play them. Can say it is never a bad time. Few things at VQ i actually hate like the floating dock and pointless hill. Such a weird place.

Weird is right.

I loved Bryant Lake as a person traveling through. Picturesque, enough challenge, a killer TOTW shot...but I get how it could be come old with all the traffic and it not being the absolute hardest course out there.

BRP is fine...I just can't get over the blah open filler holes in the middle of the course, and the stupid mini golf hole. There are plenty of shots I love there, though.

I will probably get a lot of flack for this since this site seems to be the epicenter of it all, but I always thought Flip City was extremely overrated. It's a fun course and well maintained but in my opinion it's a 4 star course on a good day. There's only so much you can do with the land given.

Phantom Falls in Colorado is also very overrated. It doesn't help the owner of the property gives you a long spiel about the course and practically begs for a 5 star review on this site before he lets you tee off on the first hole.

It seems that private courses in general get very inflated ratings. I get it, the courses have countless hours of hard work and love poured into them. This doesn't mean that the course should be rated higher than a similar course that is maintained by a parks department in another town.

Weird is right.

I loved Bryant Lake as a person traveling through. Picturesque, enough challenge, a killer TOTW shot...but I get how it could be come old with all the traffic and it not being the absolute hardest course out there.

BRP is fine...I just can't get over the blah open filler holes in the middle of the course, and the stupid mini golf hole. There are plenty of shots I love there, though.

I've always said that BRP can be a KILLER 18 hole course. As it stands, it's a fun 24 hole course. From a business perspective it makes sense - you're likely to get more traffic if you cater to a greater variety of players. If it was a killer 18 you probably won't get as many players out there.

I will probably get a lot of flack for this since this site seems to be the epicenter of it all, but I always thought Flip City was extremely overrated. It's a fun course and well maintained but in my opinion it's a 4 star course on a good day. There's only so much you can do with the land given.

I get why you feel that way. For me, Flip was just such an experience. The solo sunrise round I had there is probably a top 3 disc golf experience for me. There's a LOT to be said for the surroundings there, and to me, the course is just challenging enough as a traveling player.

Weird is right.

Yeah i like going to Bryant b/c it is just so damn nice and looks cool so you feel good playing there. Season pass is cheap enough for 3 decent courses too. Mad loot spent on those parks.

Brp...The 90 right turn? Lol i love that hole for some reason. There is now a longer position as well with tighter green.

Phantom Falls in Colorado is also very overrated. It doesn't help the owner of the property gives you a long spiel about the course and practically begs for a 5 star review on this site before he lets you tee off on the first hole.

It seems that private courses in general get very inflated ratings. I get it, the courses have countless hours of hard work and love poured into them. This doesn't mean that the course should be rated higher than a similar course that is maintained by a parks department in another town.

You're probably right but I will say there are exceptions. Mando of Sugaree is absolutely one of my favorite people I've met through DG and he is not in the least pushy about his course when you go there, could not be more accommodating. He just really loves disc golf. Don Brown of Swingin' DB's was a really laid back owner too.

I get why you feel that way. For me, Flip was just such an experience. The solo sunrise round I had there is probably a top 3 disc golf experience for me. There's a LOT to be said for the surroundings there, and to me, the course is just challenging enough as a traveling player.

I can see that. Some of my favorite rounds have been morning rounds as well. Very peaceful/serene.

You're probably right but I will say there are exceptions. Mando of Sugaree is absolutely one of my favorite people I've met through DG and he is not in the least pushy about his course when you go there, could not be more accommodating. He just really loves disc golf. Don Brown of Swingin' DB's was a really laid back owner too.

The owner of Flip is a great guy! Not pushy at all and very accommodating. I'm just saying at the end of the day a course is what it is. I guess I want the ratings for courses to be more objective rather than emotional/sentimental.

Yeah, there's something about that 90 degree hole at BRP that I like too. It was fun driving that hole with a Polecat and having people go, "What in the hell are throwing?"

I'd probably rate BRP a little below it's current rating, but it really is a good course in most respects. Just enough challenge without being so difficult that it turns people away.

And I do like Bryant. Good, not great. I'd pick Kaposia or the Valley over it every time.

My favorite golf ever was late 90's Kaposia.

The most overrated course that I've played has to be Renaissance. I tried to hit up all the highest-rated courses in Charlotte when work sent me out there for a week a couple years back. Perhaps it was my high expectations or I showed up when the course was in redesign mode but I had an awful day out there.

I found very little signage to help navigate. From some tees, I could see two or three baskets to throw to with no idea which one was correct. I'm an Eagle Scout, I had a map, and I still got hopelessly lost out there. I could see that course being a stellar layout if I had an experienced local to guide you but the design was not intuitive. I wouldn't return unless I hear the layout and signage has improved dramatically.

I've never played VQ, but I've watched the video of some pros testing it out, and I like the hill hole (if this is the hole you're referring to: https://youtu.be/YlG7vrc5bbo?t=49s )

It was a good score separator, and no randomness to it. It'll take awhile before it settles a bit and starts to look like a natural feature, so I'd say it's aesthetically lacking, but I liked that hole. Don't remember the rest of the course...

The thing with that hole is it is essentially a flat shot. Raised tee to raised landing area. Id rather be throwing uphill at it or off a hill down at a basket etc.. Looking fun and playing fun are 2 different things. Some spots on that hill you can hardly get to your disc on the sides.

I'm not comfortable saying any established course, with plenty of reviews, is "overrated".

The most I can say is that I don't like it as much as other people seem to. Or perhaps that I can't understand why other people like it more than I do.

For me to say it's overrated is for me to say that other people are wrong to like it more than I do. Can't quite bring myself there.

But I can say that I've been mightily disappointed to travel to a few courses, and discover that I don't share the same tastes as the reviewers who preceded me.

All of that, of course, is for established courses. New courses, and early reviews, can be quite off, both from my judgment and, more importantly, where the course's rating will end up when a large and diverse assortment of players has had time to review it.

I loved BRP, and I loved Vision Quest.

BRP was great, there was lots of woods golf and the cross over holes in the open broke it up nicely IMO. A good overstable flick can easily get you to the green on the 90 degree hole, I see no issues. Fair but punishing OB.

VQ I had very little issues. The only ones being I don't like half pars, and that astroturf peninsula hole SUCKS!! Everything else was great.

Knob Hill for me. I've played it twice and didn't like it either time. I know it's a great course, and I should love it. I just don't. At all. Maybe third time will be the charm.

This was the course I learned on, so I have a soft spot for it, but its not a 4.
I'd give it a solid 3.25, and it was probably a 3.5 when it was really cleaned up for Worlds.

For me, locally, the Hambrick is the same.
I find that course to be really boring, and at most I'd call it a 3 (its currently rated 3.92).
But its more a 2.5-2.75 to me.

Last edited:
Tyler. It's a good course. But it certainly isn't a destination course, like you wouldn't want to get on an airplane to visit it, most of the other courses in the top 20 that I have played are worthy of a vacation to.

Now that more privates are coming into more availability; a new dynamic for ratings is coming into play. Up until very recently, a private, where you could do what you wanted; when you wanted; didn't have to wait on groups; could perhaps visit a pro shop on site; etc. were VERY UNIQUE items. Courses with more than 18 holes were also pretty unique until relatively recently.

Latest posts