• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Leopard3

i agree its stiff but i get good grip on my protostar. the l3 and the jolly launcher it is made in has made me revisit some other jolly launcher plastic. i am however trending towards stiffer discs lately. i did sideline my champ during the winter months.

i have fondeled a ton of star l3 and they all seem flat the three i have are all identical in plh and dome to my champs.

I really don't mind the firmness but the slickness is hard to deal with especially when the Mississippi summer heat AND humidity arrives this spring and summer. I have thought about sanding a thumb spot on the top of my champ but I plan to get rid of it so I probably wont...

Nice to hear that the Star versions are molding up the same. I have had my eye on a few of them in a sweet, slightly swirled baby blue color.

I really don't mind the firmness but the slickness is hard to deal with especially when the Mississippi summer heat AND humidity arrives this spring and summer. I have thought about sanding a thumb spot on the top of my champ but I plan to get rid of it so I probably wont...

Nice to hear that the Star versions are molding up the same. I have had my eye on a few of them in a sweet, slightly swirled baby blue color.

its strange id agree with you fully a few months back but i don't notice the slickness at all on these. maybe in my older years my hands are starting to change or something.

i bag a nice swirly pink star l3 that i love. its now getting more broken in from winter rounds and starting to remind me of my old beat up pro leopard. still fights out of an anny line though and fades if thrown flat or hyzer.

its strange id agree with you fully a few months back but i don't notice the slickness at all on these. maybe in my older years my hands are starting to change or something.

i bag a nice swirly pink star l3 that i love. its now getting more broken in from winter rounds and starting to remind me of my old beat up pro leopard. still fights out of an anny line though and fades if thrown flat or hyzer.

Maybe the slickness is me, I am 45 and say my finger touch and dexterity is getting worse...What weights are you throwing in your Stars?

Maybe the slickness is me, I am 45 and say my finger touch and dexterity is getting worse...What weights are you throwing in your Stars?
/

172/175 i bag the 172. my finger touch is well, I'm not gonna go there:p. The star is really nice i generally prefer star to champ though. but the jolly l3 reminds me of the stiffer prebarry leopards i threw for a long time i always loved me some flat leopards. i throw 330 on a good day with leopards. more in the 300 range on the course. the more i throw the leopard3 i am starting to remember the leopard is a very workable disc. i drifted from them because there were a lot of domey stable leopards(which now i appreciate and bag).

I got my Orange 171 Star Leo3 and it is pretty flat! Throwing tomorrow.

I got a Star and Gstar Leopard3. The Gstar is the flattest of all 3 types of plastic. I won't be able to get out and throw all 3 until later this week.

threw 2 new champs today, straight flyers with a little fade at the end. I think the plastic will feel better when it warms up for most of you.

They werent too hard or slick in the tucson heat today.

Im surprised they werent turning more based on some of the feed back here but there was a pretty firm tailwind

Threw my Star 171 Orange Leo3 yesterday. Very nice! Went maybe a foot or two drift to the right then very minor fade on a 310-320 throw, Was hoping for a bit more understability really but it should beat in nicely I bet.

I am disappointed yet again with innova "understable" fairways. The prerelease L3 I tried was a great hyzer flip disc to 350 with little effort. The stock L3 I bought has zero turn and a decent amount of fade.

My search for a hyzer flip fairway driver continues. Love the speed of the tl and l3, but the ones I've bought just do not turn.

Matt

My search for a hyzer flip fairway driver continues. Love the speed of the tl and l3, but the ones I've bought just do not turn.

You might try a Lat64 River, especially in Gold Line plastic. It will have (or develop) some turn and will be a hyzer-flip machine for you.

Also, you might try the Discmania FD. Mine is in C-Line, but you may prefer the S-Line for seasoning in.

My new Star L3 is dead straight with modest fade. I haven't been able to turn it yet. I'll be interested to see if it loosens up some with time. My older Opto River has a reliable turn and just starts to come back at the very end of its flight.

You might try a Lat64 River, especially in Gold Line plastic. It will have (or develop) some turn and will be a hyzer-flip machine for you.

Also, you might try the Discmania FD. Mine is in C-Line, but you may prefer the S-Line for seasoning in.

Solid advice here.

The GL River will be more stable than the S-Line FD from the get go. The River will season into a great gliding flyer over time, especially in the lighter 160 range. The River is a far better disc IMO, it can be a little nose angle sensitive at first though. I have several Rivers from 161 to 170, the only one in my bag is my oldest blue 161.

The S-Line FD is a flippy beast right out of the box when thrown flat at full power but, it does fly really nice lines when powered down to 70%. I have hit my longest throw on the course hyzer flipping my S-FD. I think it is a 167 weight.

The C-Line FD will be way more stable, mine is long and straight with decent fade when thrown hard ( for my noodle arm ) at my 300' feet of power :eek:. Weight on it is 170.

Last edited:
Been playing with a Champ L3 for few months now and it's alright. When I power it down it gives me a very small S curve, when powered up it tends to fly straight and fade at the end.

I've been reaching for my GL River more but I still want something a little more under-stable. Thinking maybe a GStar Leo3 or Star Leo3 might be what I am looking for, thoughts?

feedback seem consistent here..not as US as msot of us were hoping for. I will give mine a few more field sessions to see if it earns a spot

feedback seem consistent here..not as US as msot of us were hoping for. I will give mine a few more field sessions to see if it earns a spot

I disagree, I think the feed back is positive. And for my personal testing of all 3 types of plastic, these fly just like advertised. Easy straight flyer brand new and after just a little beating in, it becomes an easy turnover driver. I'm a big fan of the Leopard3 and will give my Hatchets a run for the slot in my bag.

I disagree, I think the feed back is positive. And for my personal testing of all 3 types of plastic, these fly just like advertised. Easy straight flyer brand new and after just a little beating in, it becomes an easy turnover driver. I'm a big fan of the Leopard3 and will give my Hatchets a run for the slot in my bag.

Me too

Latest posts