• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Leopard3

i have a 175 *L3 and i actually can't really get it to flip. i bought it mainly to be the US fairway in my bag, but it mainly holds a straight line (obviously i need that shot too so i'm not disappointed in having it) but if i'm still looking to get something more US than that, should i try a different plastic/weight/go back to the original Leopard? HELP ME!!!

i have a 175 *L3 and i actually can't really get it to flip. i bought it mainly to be the US fairway in my bag, but it mainly holds a straight line (obviously i need that shot too so i'm not disappointed in having it) but if i'm still looking to get something more US than that, should i try a different plastic/weight/go back to the original Leopard? HELP ME!!!

Try a G* Leopard3. They are less stable. My favorite woods Leopard.

Use it for a one disc round or throw a bunch of over hand throws with it. They need to beat in a little bit to be truly flippy.

Maybe a lower weight. I have found that the lower to the ground the Leopard3 is, the more stable it is (not ever to be confused with overstable, but stable as in its inherent ability to not flip or fade). Makes it terrific for gunning a low ceiling. I can get to flip flat, and maybe with a turn, at chest height, but it really does not get that axis movement until you are trying to drive it for distance.

How have Star Leo3's been lately? Less stable or beat in to less stable than champ fairly soon? I would plan on throwing it in the 315-350' range on the course...wanting a slight hyzer or flat release and the disc to hold a left to right slow turn for nearly the whole the flight.

Are they less stable/more turn than S-FD's? I realize the FD is a longer disc but I find that the FD is pretty neutral, like -1/1.5. I'm wanting -2/1, say a consistent step from Leo3 -> FD -> straight Teebird.

How have Star Leo3's been lately? Less stable or beat in to less stable than champ fairly soon? I would plan on throwing it in the 315-350' range on the course...wanting a slight hyzer or flat release and the disc to hold a left to right slow turn for nearly the whole the flight.

Are they less stable/more turn than S-FD's? I realize the FD is a longer disc but I find that the FD is pretty neutral, like -1/1.5. I'm wanting -2/1, say a consistent step from Leo3 -> FD -> straight Teebird.

Not sure how you feel about Prodigy, and I know this is a Leo3 thread, but I have a 400 F5 that's about 7/10, and it fills the slot you're describing for the most part. It's got noticeably more flip than my MF FD.

Not sure how you feel about Prodigy, and I know this is a Leo3 thread, but I have a 400 F5 that's about 7/10, and it fills the slot you're describing for the most part. It's got noticeably more flip than my MF FD.

I've never owned any Prodigy...I think if I go out of the Innova/Discmania family on this one (my other workhorse fairways are those brands, even though I bag anything) one of my first candidates would be an Elasto Underworld. I've only thrown one but it was pretty amazing for that line. I'm also at fairly high altitude.

I've never owned any Prodigy...I think if I go out of the Innova/Discmania family on this one (my other workhorse fairways are those brands, even though I bag anything) one of my first candidates would be an Elasto Underworld. I've only thrown one but it was pretty amazing for that line. I'm also at fairly high altitude.

Gotcha, what's your elevation? I live at or below sea level (New Orleans) but I'll be in Denver at the end of September - I take it I should adjust my bag to be more flippy overall?

Gotcha, what's your elevation? I live at or below sea level (New Orleans) but I'll be in Denver at the end of September - I take it I should adjust my bag to be more flippy overall?

At 4500'. Yes you will need to adjust your bag haha! My backhand turnover Destroyer from sea level is now a forehand flat release crusher. My roller Vulcan is now a backhand hyzer flip disc. I can throw a beat DX Leo or Destroyer from a beginner's bag and have them hyzer flip to bomb rather than insta-roller.

If you have a bunch of discs that are "slightly overstable" then cut those down to only one or two per speed class instead of all flavours of them...they will all gain a bunch of stability and be almost identical at elevation. Super OS discs won't change much though, still beef. Bring your roller disc, it'll be a hyzer flip bomber. And make sure you bring slow discs, like understable mids and fairways. They keep the glide but gain enough stability to be trustworthy...super fun to throw.

Just wanted to say that the Leo3 is the first new mold I have tried in quite some time and I am loving it so far.

Got a lighter (167) champ one. Perfect for in between my beat to heck G* Leo and my Respecti as the neutral fairway slot. G* Leo is getting too beat to handle a long slight hyzer flight without flipping up too much.

My favorite disc in my bag, by far, is my Leopard DX 167g. For some reason, not sure if it's the rim size or the rim shape or what, this disc seems to come out of my hand perfectly every time!!!

What weight and plastic is everyone throwing in the Leopard3?

TripleB

My favorite disc in my bag, by far, is my Leopard DX 167g. For some reason, not sure if it's the rim size or the rim shape or what, this disc seems to come out of my hand perfectly every time!!!

What weight and plastic is everyone throwing in the Leopard3?

TripleB
I throw a 175 champ L3 as my straight-stable fairway. I typically release it flat or on a hyzer flip and I can rely on it to stay straight and not turnover. It's got nice glide. I've also got some Gstars that are fun to throw as well, but overlap too much with my Maul so I no longer bag them.

I don't bag a Leo3, but if I did, it would be Gstar 168g for easy hyzerflip finesse shots in the woods. I've thrown the champ version and found it to be more stable than the flight numbers indicate but a very straight disc that can handle some power without getting too squirrley.

For you TripleB, the gstar would be the way to go. But since you are loving your Dx Leo so much, I would actually suggest a Pro Leopard in the high 160s. Ask around, Leopards in pro plastic are legendary discs.

For you TripleB, the gstar would be the way to go. But since you are loving your Dx Leo so much, I would actually suggest a Pro Leopard in the high 160s. Ask around, Leopards in pro plastic are legendary discs.

Thanks for the reply.

I was doing to info search on the Pro Leopard and someone in a post said: "I think it depends what type of courses you play. If you're playing more wide open golf a Pro Leo might be what you want. If trees are in your immediate future, I would highly suggest a Champ or even Star Leopard."

Would you agree with this? I only ask because my home course has 24 holes and I think only 4 or 5 are open, all others have between 15 and 15000 (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration...but to a newbie that's what it seems like).

Thanks!

TripleB

A champ or Star is going to be too stable for you at this point, (not that they are bad discs, just won't fly like their supposed to).

Pro is a really good plastic, but my favorite woods Leopard is G-Star. The new beats out of them pretty quick, but after that, they hold up really well. My 170 G* is over two years old, the stamp has completely worn off, and it still flies like a Leopard.

And one advantage of G* in the woods is they don't ricochet off of trees nearly as far as Champ or Star and when you do hit a tree dead on, they fold up and drop,

A champ or Star is going to be too stable for you at this point, (not that they are bad discs, just won't fly like their supposed to).

Pro is a really good plastic, but my favorite woods Leopard is G-Star. The new beats out of them pretty quick, but after that, they hold up really well. My 170 G* is over two years old, the stamp has completely worn off, and it still flies like a Leopard.

And one advantage of G* in the woods is they don't ricochet off of trees nearly as far as Champ or Star and when you do hit a tree dead on, they fold up and drop,

Thanks for that advice!

When you're referring to your favorite woods Leopard (in GStar), you're talking about the Leopard, not the Leopard3 right? Just making sure.

The Champ and Star being too stable in the Leopard...same goes for the Leopard3 as well?

TripleB