• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Leopard3

Just bought a stock Champ Leopard3. I'm trying to find something to replace my FDs. My Leopard3 has a small dome, not as much as the Halo Leopard3s I've seen. My Leopard3 flies more like a Teebird than a Leopard. It has held a hyzer every time Ive throw it. Are the Halo Leopard3s more understable or do I need to keep beating in a TL3 to replace the FD?

'held hyzer' may be the problem. How does it fly when thrown flat?

I think it takes a bit to get rid of the tiny bit of flashing on Champion discs before they fly closer to the flight #s. You can speed up the wear in process by pressing the bottoms of two Champion discs together and kind of sanding them against one another in a circular direction (go each way).

No Leopard help here, but I'm a carpet man. Twist a disc in carpet back and forth, shift its location/your hand position, rinse and repeat. Screw bottom flashing.

One day when I was working on being able to throw FH with hyzer and extreme hyzer releases I pulled a new champ leo3 out. It had one of those flights that is just etched in my memory. It flipped up and turned over just enough and into glide mode. Went way further than the amount of effort I put into the throw. Since then its been in my agenda to grab about 5 of them and dial that shot in but other things keep bumping that down the list. Currently Im finding the right disc for a 375' late right dog leg to a green which falls off to nowhere on 3 sides with a natural triple mando low ceiling about 50' off the tee where the fairway slopes up to the middle of the hole then falls away. The throw basically has to come out laser straight and flat with late turn so the window to hit this shot is very narrow. Its a firebird FH type shot for sure but there is a dense bit of foliage to the right and I only have enough FB FH power to get to jump putt range. The shot I envision for this hole is hyzer flip to just turned over late in flight to make the dogleg. Its such a touchy shot for me.
TLDR: Threw a leo3 FH once and it was amazing then rambling about something else.

The star leo3 i have flies like a teebird... And my teebird flies like a... thunderbird? These drivers does not flie like the numbers in premium plastic. Gonna use the star as my stable driver and just get a stack of DX leo3's for the understable duties. Yikes Innova

I just picked up a F2 champ Leo3 170g. Took it out in the yard and spiked it into the ground 25 times. Threw some grenades. I don't have room to actually throw (until they harvest corn), but 150' light forehands show promise! Need a disc that holds turn like the Relay, but doesn't come out hard (like the Relay). I'm sure the champ will take more beating to get there. Also, a grenade thrown 100' over a tree does not vary off the line at all. Handy.

I put Leopard3s in my bag last year and at the start it flew a lot like a Teebird. A 168g star is finally starting to break in nicely, it has just a smidge of turn when I rip it backhand. Great glide. I really enjoy throwing it on a forehand actually. Straight lasers with my slow forehand. My go-to for tunnel shots

Yea, premium plastic Leopard3 flight numbers seem to assume you're chucking them >350'. However, I'm enjoying a very consistent -1/1 flight at 325' for a stack of F2 star 175g I picked up. Now, I did definitely beat those into a parking lot some first; they could well have been teebird stable if I'd tried them without scuffing them up some first.

I've toyed with bagging champion leopard3s instead of teebirds, but I just don't think I'd trust them in much of a headwind. And I'm just much more confident forehanding teebirds as well.

How are color glow leopard3s? I currently don't have a go-to gentle turning 7 speed. I throw a 169g Star TL3 that flips up nicely, but I'm looking to fill the understable slot next to that. Sounds like they'd need a bunch of rounds to get to that point.

How are color glow leopard3s? I currently don't have a go-to gentle turning 7 speed. I throw a 169g Star TL3 that flips up nicely, but I'm looking to fill the understable slot next to that. Sounds like they'd need a bunch of rounds to get to that point.

Color glow champion plastic is usually mellower than normal champion plastic. And often mellower than star plastic. I used to have a few color glow leopard3s and they matched that description pretty well. (I'm sad I traded them away a year ago, but someone else was really wanting them and so I know they went to a good home.)

I like the grippiness of the color glow champion myself.

Overall I'd expect Leopard3s to be less stable than TL3s for similar plastic/weight/wear. But they are close enough that sometimes a fluke run of Leopard3s might be more stable. If you like your 169g Star TL3, I think you'd be good to just pickup a 169g Star Leopard3 and beat it in a bit.

How much turn are you getting out of that TL3 thrown how far? I (and others) can try to hazard a guess on how much turn a similar Leopard3 might get.

Overall I'd expect Leopard3s to be less stable than TL3s for similar plastic/weight/wear. But they are close enough that sometimes a fluke run of Leopard3s might be more stable. If you like your 169g Star TL3, I think you'd be good to just pickup a 169g Star Leopard3 and beat it in a bit.

How much turn are you getting out of that TL3 thrown how far? I (and others) can try to hazard a guess on how much turn a similar Leopard3 might get.

I get the true -1/1 turn & fade and throw it about 300 feet. Not a power arm for sure, which is why I like the disc so much. If I need to push 330' I'm using a CD2 or Sidewinder. The right answer is to probably cycle in a new TL3 in my preferred weight (171g) and the lighter one should continue to get flippy.

I get the true -1/1 turn & fade and throw it about 300 feet. Not a power arm for sure, which is why I like the disc so much. If I need to push 330' I'm using a CD2 or Sidewinder. The right answer is to probably cycle in a new TL3 in my preferred weight (171g) and the lighter one should continue to get flippy.

I enjoy cycling discs, but I enjoy the classic Teebird/Leopard pairing even more. But I also haven't enjoyed TL/TL3s as much, so I don't know well how they cycle. (I just don't trust any drivers that try to be that straight.)

I'm sure you could do just fine with a TL3 cycle. I'm also fairly confident that most ~170g Star Leopard3s wouldn't be meet-hooks for you either (unless you left some gnarly flashing on one). Any given Leopard3 might not fly -2/1 right away, but you could get it out around that 300' mark as well I imagine.

I can't seem to find any record of them ever existing. Have Leopard3s ever been run in pro plastic? My lady wants to upgrade from DX to pro to compliment the champ in her bag.

Leopard and leopard3 are pretty much identical, if not the exact same disc. Pro leopards are money.

I can't seem to find any record of them ever existing. Have Leopard3s ever been run in pro plastic? My lady wants to upgrade from DX to pro to compliment the champ in her bag.

No, but they really should.

It would make for a great disc.

The original Leopard top is very old-school - a big shoulder, with a distinct rise and then a couple inches of flat top. The Leopard3 top couldn't be more different - it's designed to be low-profile and consistent within the dome.

Latest posts