• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's Start a Real War - Buzzz vs. Core

I need to try out a GL Core. The Opto is the only Lat64 plastic I've ever thrown, so I don't know what the stability differences are between plastics.

The buzzz and core are not even close in flight.....a buzzz is faster and can handle a lot more power than a core can.....the core can shape more lines due to its slight turn and fade...where the buzzz just goes straighter and further faster and basically holds the line its thrown on...the core is the classic swedish disc getting its D from glide and not speed which makes it maddeningly inconsistent because conditions are always a greater variable than when one throws the speed dependent and less wind vulnerable buzzz

I have always wondered if a Cro with a wider diameter might somehow be buzzzlike....

My GL core is dead straight. For me, it holds any line I put it on. I've not thrown many buzzzes, but have never heard anything bad about one. The only complaint I have about the core is off the tee. When I give it alot of power it will flip to anny every time. Mine is 179 grams just to be clear.

I hate these threads. They are 2 different discs.

Thanks, I realize that. :rolleyes: But they are similar enough that only one would/should be in a bag, so I'm wondering what would make someone choose one over the other.

A real war would be:
Buzzz vs Mako vs MD2 vs Core vs Axis

:popcorn:

I'm actually at a point to where I am having almost all of these compete for a spot. The problem is, you have to look at your overall mid lineup and what you want from that to decide.

Personally, I have tried all the Buzzz in each production plastic, and they have just never worked quite as well for me as a GL Core. For some reason, I could get the Core further with less power. So Buzzz are out because I do not want to be throwing a mid like a short fairway driver.

One thing I didn't care about the Cores back when I threw them for a while is they seemed to either fade out of a turnover line, or if I put an anny on it, it would cut hard (I have similar experiences with Rivers). Can't remember what I went to but I eventually got to a Fuse and what I have been using. Some GL for hyzer-flips and heavier opto for turnover/anny and I love the Fuse now for everything from straight to right (RHBH)

So now, I am looking for a straight to slightly left lines mid. I picked up an Axis; which is much heavier than I like, and I brought a Core back in. The problems I am seeing is, the Core barely does anything more than my heavier Fuse can do, and the Fuse even glides MORE imo. So I just don't know why I would carry it. The Axis seems little better than the Fuse at straight; but much better at holding turnover lines for me, yet it is much heavier and its taking the finesse aspect away that I would like a mid to have. I can wait for a lighter one, but to me, it just might be litttle different than the lighter Core I already have. Probably not exact, but close enough.

This has got me thinking I have a couple options. I either can go for a lighter Axis, or at least wait impatiently for them to be available, and then drop my heavier Opto Fuses, or I can stick with the heavier opto Fuses and give up on the Axis and start looking for a little more stable to OS.
(BTW, I'm subtly getting at the Axis being superior to the Core and Buzzz for that "neutral" stability mid)

Now I am kind of tempted to try an MD2 because it might have more to offer similarly to how PDs do in different plastics. It's kind of a plus for me that a P-Line plastic is offered as well as I don't like to throw my shiney GL Fuse or other nice looking discs over water. I don't like being timid in those sort of shots.

Final option I have on standby to bring this full circle; I have some fresh Rocs waiting and they might be just the right stability compliment to my Fuses. I just need to learn how to throw them well.

The Buzzz is far more consistant for me overall. I do like the Core for the glide factor but in the wind it becomes tricky to throw. The Buzzz in all the different plastics is IMO the most versitile disc in the game. I only need one mold for my mids just different plastic. That is why the Buzzz wins hands down.

Check out my review form Disc Devil of the Buzzz so you can see what I use them for.

This is the only mid in my bag. A great disc with a huge array of plastic to choose from. I carry at least 3 in my bag at all. I have it in three different plastic types all a different job and it is great to have a disc that is capable of so many different shots. The buzzz is my go to in the woods.

-Elite X Buzzz Beat in 6/10, Forehand spike anhyzers, hyzer flips. Most understable buzzz in my bag. This disc breaks in pretty fast and is great for rollers too. I have two aces with this buzzz.

-Elite Z Buzzz thrown condition 8/10, This disc is indestructible and a bit overstable. I throw forehand hyzers with this disc and flex shots for the most part but can rip a straight line too. This is the fastest buzzz in my bag and comes out for the longer mid shots.

-ESP FLX Buzzz 9/10 Holds any line and takes a really long time to beat in. I throw this thing for long tunnel shots mostly but can throw any shot I need with it. It is my stable Buzzz and has just a bit of fade at the end of the flight.

The Buzzz is a great disc for any player and if you haven't tried it you should. It is an awesome first disc and can be used for one disc rounds very easily. It has also been boosted that the Buzzz has the most disc's of any disc ever made.

Tech, what's your experience on the stability differences between heavy and light Cores?

I have never gone to heavy on those but I did have one which for whatever reason, wanted to fly like a Banshee. Ok, I may be exaggerating but it was surprisingly overstable and I did not like it at all. Traded it away.

*shakes head at technohic*

you live an overly complicated life, my friend! lol

lol You just got a peek into the mind of a chronic disc changer.

For me the Core performs better than a Buzzz. They go further with less effort. I quit throwing the Buzz once I tried the Core. However, the Buzz is a good disc, just not for me. I just love Latitude plastic. It is the most durable and consistent to me. Besides the Core I also love the Flow and River. Want to try a Havoc also.

Core vs Buzzz argument is like Pepsi vs Coke, Chevy vs Ford, Blondes vs Red Heads vs Brunettes. There will never be agreement, everybody has their own preference.

My first midrange was an Elite-X Buzzz - loved it, helped me learn correct form.

Soon traded that in for an ESP Buzzz, which is still in my bag.

First Core was the Opto Sparkle - straight as an arrow. Soon had a place in the bag next to the ESP Buzzz.

Since then I have bought and found many different Buzzz's and Core's. Love most of them. I have hated a few. I bought a supercolor ESP Buzzz and a bright pink Opto Core - both flew nothing like I wanted them too. Super flippy and were soon donated to local school.

If I had to play with only only mid - I would have to go with the Blue GL Core, just because I can shape my lines better with it than my Crystal Z Buzzz.

I am all in on GL cores. Started throwing cores 4 months into my DG career. I've had optos, sparkles, and chameleons, but like the GL's the best... poppytop or not, they all fly consistently for me with variations only due to wear stage.

I've tried replacing them... I've thrown the new axis, many buzzes, many makos, many coyotes, many fuses, many elements, but have yet to throw anything from discmania. Don't matter, the GL core is the neutral distance mid for me. It's my get-out-of-jail-free card. And i recently stocked up and now proudly own 8 GL cores. :eek:

I have throw both for long periods of time, and for most rounds i prefer cores. But the core has a huge weakness it cannot handle even moderate head winds, so much so that it is not worth putting in the bag over buzzzes

Can't see the core ever being more widely used than the buzzz and although I like it it's not as good as the buzzz. IMO

Eh, the Core is nice, but from what I've tried (about 10 or so Cores) there's too much variation and even the more stable ones are only about as stable as your average Z Buzzz, and none of them get close to an overstable Buzzz (Glo Z). They do glide nicely, but not enough to make up for their other shortcomings.

But it's a moot issue, since the MD2 is better than either. =)[/QUOTE]

Please enlighten us

I am sure you know since you have been playing for like a year, right.

Latest posts