• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's talk Deer Lakes

Huh??? That doesn't seem to line up with your review of CS...(heaven, must play)

I have Jordan Creek, Nockamixon which are closer and rate higher. Thats probably the reason. I'm searching for excuses to get back out west and play Deer Lakes and Moraine again. Sankanac is good but has some flaws. To me Deer Lakes was perfect. Sankanac is good but Jordan and Nocky are better and in my case closer so I don't feel compelled to drive 40 minutes to Sankanac. I'm spoiled its true.

Work Party at Deer Lakes: Sat 3/12

Volunteers needed! Let me know if you have any questions or if you can attend.

From the desk of J. Gary Dropcho:

Spring cleaning time at Deer Lakes! Lend a hand rebuilding steps on hole #11, seed and landscape around new tees, and do a little clearing of downed limbs on the course. Bring work gloves, shovels, pruners and other implements of construction. Meet at Anglers parking lot at 10 am Saturday March 12.

We will take a lunch break at the local Deer Creek Diner, then play a round from Red tees. A bounty is at stake for setting the Red tee course record, 55, set jointly by Marcus Ranii-Dropcho and Connor Kazmierczak at the 2009 Scholastic Series!

Deer Lakes Red Tee Bounty

Just to be clear: to be eligible to win the bounty, a player must set the record from the Red tees on Sat. March 12, and have worked at least two hours on the course that morning.

discteacher, you should give us a couple of your opinions on Deer Lakes since you were so integral in the design of it. My favorite hole personally is #9. I love the very open drive, then getting funneled into the narrow opening and carrying through the woods another 150' to the C pin. I have seen 3's and 7's from quality golfers on this hole.

Volunteers needed! Let me know if you have any questions or if you can attend.

From the desk of J. Gary Dropcho:

Spring cleaning time at Deer Lakes! Lend a hand rebuilding steps on hole #11, seed and landscape around new tees, and do a little clearing of downed limbs on the course. Bring work gloves, shovels, pruners and other implements of construction. Meet at Anglers parking lot at 10 am Saturday March 12.

We will take a lunch break at the local Deer Creek Diner, then play a round from Red tees. A bounty is at stake for setting the Red tee course record, 55, set jointly by Marcus Ranii-Dropcho and Connor Kazmierczak at the 2009 Scholastic Series!

UPDATE: The work day and round are postponed due to the impending rain/snow. Look here for information about when it will be rescheduled.

Deer Lakes front nine review

discteacher, you should give us a couple of your opinions on Deer Lakes since you were so integral in the design of it

I really do like them all, but here's a quick review of the front nine (with thanks to Dan Sauers who convinced me that what I had thought was the back nine would flow much better as holes 1-9):

I like that you can see the basket from the White tee on the par 4 hole
#1, but have no chance of reaching the pin. Two good shots gets you to an open green. Can't reach it from Red tee either. Just trying to get Blue tee shot to the mouth of the wood line and keep my nerves calm to see through the high ceiling but narrow gapped uphill fairway.

#2 has the coolest set of elevated tees pads as seen from reverse angle at basket. The B pin is the toughest here. More uphill than it looks.

#3 will yield birdie if you throw three accurate and powerful shots. The A pin is at same elevation as the Blue Tee, even though you have to lose then gain back about 50 feet of drop. Hope to solve the drainage problem this summer.

#4 -- I wonder how many have taken my name in vain as they stand on the Blue tee? May be the toughest birdie on the course in the C position.

#5 has developed nicely since Tom Moeller said "Here's the tee and there's the basket. Very tight, but this shot is all about touch. Throw your putter. Again, a nice constellation of tee pads, thanks to Allegheny County Public Works and Parks departments.

Restraint is the byword for #6, at least until you make the corner of the par 4 dogleg. Don't blow through too far into the left side rough or you will be forced to use a pitch out stroke. Some mature hardwoods on this hole and an uphill fast green, especially on B and C pins.

I really like how the wind is part of hole 7, and how you can see the disc its entire flight. I want to tweak the C pin position which is never used now because it cannot be seen from the tees (another of my dumb decisions)

#8 gets the most boos, but when its landscaped bunkers are finished, I think the jeers will turn to cheers.

#9's Secret Garden is my favorite green on the course and in Pittsburgh. We will be relocating a currently too-easy for a par 5 A-pin location (currently in front of the fence) to push the boundary of the green back toward where a picnic table now sits. I shriek with peals of joy whenever someone's approach shot gets knocked down by the fence! Conversely, I would love to make the putt from on top of that cliff.

1-seeing those tee pads for the 1st time blew my mind...I also discovered theres a deep creek to the right which not many no is there lol
2-fun fun hole and one of my fav valley holes to date
3-monstrous and hated by those who cant throw long and str8...reminds me of Nockamixon 13 only with elevation down and up
4-I loved breaking out into the wide open after a scary tee look
5-fun touch shot...a mini moraine 7 if u will
6-ate me alive Im scarred
7 there truly is something great about watching a disc in its full flight path...
8 gets boos but a few olajuwon trees near the tee or some simple landscaping and dressing up the green making it more wind scary....raised basket etc? and you have yourself a gem
9-once I found it was a blast probably one of the best finishers in disc golf but then you made it hole 9 and not 18 d'oh

Playing different tees..ai yi yi....NO!!

All I would say is have us play the long tees. Deer Lakes is easy. I have played well over 50+ round here and usually finish under par from the long tees. Most top level pros have been shooting around 57 - 60 from the longs.

Keep it HARD!!!

my choice for pins would be

1- Long right
2. short center
3. long center
4. long center
5. doesn't matter
6. longest pin. all other pins are too easy. I was on a 12-in-a-row birdie streak on the short pin.
7. doesn't matter
8. long right
9. long

10. longest
11. doesn't matter, but if you play the right pin don't put in the silly OB.
12. center or right. The long left pin only yields birdies to only the longest throwers. The other pins are reachable by all and require more shot shaping.
13. i would say the original. I'm not a fan of the new pin. Not really a fan of the hole at all.
14. long right
15. center pin. The right pin is too easy as you can just throw your drive into the hillside and get a 2 easily.
16. long left really is the best challenge but the shorter pin plays well too
17. long
18. long.

That's what I would do. With that layout the top pros will still be shooting sub-60 rounds.

Playing different tees..ai yi yi....NO!!

All I would say is have us play the long tees. Deer Lakes is easy. I have played well over 50+ round here and usually finish under par from the long tees. Most top level pros have been shooting around 57 - 60 from the longs.

Keep it HARD!!!

my choice for pins would be

1- Long right
2. short center
3. long center
4. long center
5. doesn't matter
6. longest pin. all other pins are too easy. I was on a 12-in-a-row birdie streak on the short pin.
7. doesn't matter
8. long right
9. long

10. longest
11. doesn't matter, but if you play the right pin don't put in the silly OB.
12. center or right. The long left pin only yields birdies to only the longest throwers. The other pins are reachable by all and require more shot shaping.
13. i would say the original. I'm not a fan of the new pin. Not really a fan of the hole at all.
14. long right
15. center pin. The right pin is too easy as you can just throw your drive into the hillside and get a 2 easily.
16. long left really is the best challenge but the shorter pin plays well too
17. long
18. long.

That's what I would do. With that layout the top pros will still be shooting sub-60 rounds.

Yeah, I have a similar list with similar thoughts in my head (adjusting perhaps for RHBH/RHFH bias :)), although I haven't spent too much time thinking about it as it's not urgent and J. Gary wants to move a few pins (e.g., 2C, 7C, 9A).

The only thing I found surprising about your list, Chris, is Hole 2A (short center). I find that to be the easiest pin on the course from the blue tees, as all you need to do is throw at the hillside for an easy birdie. According to my recorded rounds from the blue tees, I've birdied the hole 11 out of 20 opportunities. So I would think a ridiculously high percentage of the open field would take a birdie on that hole. Do you just not like 2B (to the right)? Or do you really like 2A? Anyway, maybe we can find an intelligent place to relocate 2C and use that for the PFDO.

Hole 2 is probably the easiest hole on the course. I would say I birdie it 75% of the time. And it really doesn't matter what pin it is in. I like A-pin because if you go long you have a tough putt back at the basket. But like you said, the preferred shot is into the hillside for an easy putt. I like the pin up to the right as well and perhaps that is the harder pin?

I think Aesthetically speaking, the A-pin looks the best.

Hole 2 is probably the easiest hole on the course. I would say I birdie it 75% of the time. And it really doesn't matter what pin it is in. I like A-pin because if you go long you have a tough putt back at the basket. But like you said, the preferred shot is into the hillside for an easy putt. I like the pin up to the right as well and perhaps that is the harder pin?

I think Aesthetically speaking, the A-pin looks the best.

scary come back putts are the best ......I love that hole....even though it's easy I could see some cage rejection rollers and rogue bogeys on this one....but more importantly the timing of this hole in context of the course is whats essential....get your birdie as youre likely to bogey or worse hole 3 is what this hole is all about.

scary come back putts are the best ......I love that hole....even though it's easy I could see some cage rejection rollers and rogue bogeys on this one....but more importantly the timing of this hole in context of the course is whats essential....get your birdie as youre likely to bogey or worse hole 3 is what this hole is all about.

Unless you're Barry Schultz at last year's Hunt...I think the progression on Hole 3 was Starfire, Starfire, putt = Eagle.

First of all, I love Deer Lakes. Yes I am a local. No I am not very good. I have a lot of fun playing this course and I feel very challenged from the whites. I wish I lived on the east side of town sometimes so that is was easier for me to play this course often.

There is not much from a hole design that I would suggest changing. I love the mix of open and wooded holes. I love the mix of easier and more challenging holes. I love walking out of the woods after 6 and thinking "I didn't realize it was this windy today" when I watch my drive on 7 (and 9) get affected. I love 14. Don't change a thing about 14. The earlier pic reminded me of a round I played in the fall with a carpet of orange leaves glowing from the sun beaming through the thinning trees. It was majestic.

One suggestion that I do have would be some aesthetic improvements between holes, and the bridge across the lake on 15. I could see a bridge in the same style as the others on the lower lakes framing the hole nicely, and may make it more of a signature, postcard type hole. Other areas that may warrant a little attention are between 12 and 13, after 9, between 1 and 2, the steps on 11, and the waste area around 7, 8, and 9. I think the most bang for the buck is a permanent bridge on 15.

I think that all involved in the design, creation, maintenance, and upkeep of this course deserve to be commended. I am grateful for your effort, and reap the benefits of having a top-notch course so close to me. Keep up the great work!

Available Now!
Limited Edition Fundraiser Discs for this year's Elite NT event
Scholls Bicycle Center Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open
The Disc is a Full Color Buzz
The cost is $20 and Discs will be available at PFDS club events.
You can also email [email protected] to make arrangements to get yours.
Disc Credit will be accepted as well as cash.
Get one while they last.
Only 50 were ordered and they are moving quickly.

Paypal will also be accepted. If interested please get in touch with me or Scott Hartle.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 10
I think that all involved in the design, creation, maintenance, and upkeep of this course deserve to be commended. I am grateful for your effort, and reap the benefits of having a top-notch course so close to me. Keep up the great work!

You should get involved, if you're not already. If you are, ignore me, and keep it up. If you aren't, be aware that the place to look for workdays and so on is the PFDS forum on the PDGA website here: http://www.pdga.com/discussion/forumdisplay.php?f=254. Or maybe try PM'ing discteacher, I think he has a list of people he texts.

I hate that the club uses the PDGA site for communication because there is not necessarily a correlation between wanting to play in tournaments and being willing to help out on the course. However, I don't see it changing in the near future, so just check there every once in awhile.

We use the PDGA board as our means of communications because we want more golfers in the area to be PDGA members. As a club we believe it is a very important part of the disc golf scene.

Also the PFDS website is being updated and will be used more for communications. I am the new Director of Communications for the PFDS. If you are not getting my emails, and would like to be included in our emails, please send me an email at deitzel at hotmail.com

We use the PDGA board as our means of communications because we want more golfers in the area to be PDGA members. As a club we believe it is a very important part of the disc golf scene.

Also the PFDS website is being updated and will be used more for communications. I am the new Director of Communications for the PFDS. If you are not getting my emails, and would like to be included in our emails, please send me an email at deitzel at hotmail.com

It is convenient for you, and other people who play enough events to pay for the PDGA membership, to want that. Besides any other objections I have to joining the PDGA, I will probably only play one "real" tournament this year. It is not cost effective to join the PDGA for people who play one tournament.

I have often heard people in the club bemoaning the fact that it is only a select few people who help out on the courses. Can you really blame people for not going if they are unable to even communicate with the club?

Matt,

Maybe you could establish a Pittsburgh social group on this website to keep things up to date on here for the people who are either not yet members of the PFDS or do not check the PDGA or PFDS forums. Maybe update the DGCR calendar with upcoming events etc. I think there are plenty of people on this site that are not members but are still active players. If you are not interested in doing it let me know and I will set something up.

Matt,

Maybe you could establish a Pittsburgh social group on this website to keep things up to date on here for the people who are either not yet members of the PFDS or do not check the PDGA or PFDS forums. Maybe update the DGCR calendar with upcoming events etc. I think there are plenty of people on this site that are not members but are still active players. If you are not interested in doing it let me know and I will set something up.

Great idea. It took me about thirteen years from the time I started playing disc golf until I played in an organized event:doh:, but I likely would have helped with course-related stuff had requests for help been advertised. And, I like what you're doing, Chris, so that casual non-tournament players better fit into the PFDS.

Latest posts