• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's talk Deer Lakes

Glad you guys had a blast. the Diner is awesome. Jerry does do awesome work....though did not design any of Moraine......Vince is AWESOME!! Everyone in the local club really are some of the greatest people in the world. I have so much respect for all of them. I have been lucky enough to play disc golf in Pittsburgh for the last 17 years.

And all I can say is that the courses looked absolutely spectacular this weekend. though they pretty much always do.

"Understand some comments, but the volume, and tone were the problem!"

EXACTLY!!!! There is a place and a time for saying what you think about the course. A group of top pros bitchin at the awards ceremony for all the locals to here is not the right place. If they don't start learning how to be respectful, I fear there will be nowhere left for them to play.

I still think it is hillarious that one of the PROS was extremely upset that the spotter on 15 at Deer Lakes would not go in the pond to get his disc. Even though those spotters spent the whole day sweating their butts off to help out with no reward. And when there is a sign that says "entering the lake punishable up to $300". Some people ain't got no class.

The only complaint that I thought was completely valid was that the par 3 holes at Moraine were set at too hard of pins. Hole 5, 7, 9, and 11 in particular. Which I completely agree with. They were made too hard to card many 2's.

I agree completely on hole#11 at Moraine. I understand that a new c-pin was installed because the old c-pin on top of plateau did not produce a good scoring spread. (new location is on the slope between b-pin and the previous c-pin. And the hill is sloped enough that there will be the occasional roll-away down the hill) Even though the new c-pin was moved shorter, this is still some 360+ feet, uphill, and with foliage in the way. The fast green also discourages folks from making legitimate birdie runs at the basket, especially if you are putting from a side angle and not straight up the hill at it. I know these are supposed to be gold level par three holes, but I'm pretty sure if one looks at the data for the tournament, there were likely very very few deuces on this hole.

I think hole#9 sets up perfectly for a righty backhand roller. But like hole#11, at 363' in length and with a very fast green, the risk/reward in going for the birdie on this hole is surely not worth the investment. I think both 9 and 11 would have been better served from another pin placement.

I disagree about the other two holes though. Hole#5 and hole#7 are fairly straightforward holes and are 251' and 312' in length, respectively. I just don't see how a 1000+ rated player can't throw a turnover shot, sidearm, or lefty hyzer shot close to the polehole on #5, or at least to the 10m putting circle where they should be making that length of putt. Same thing on hole#7...if players of this high caliber can't throw from a severely elevated tee a spike hyzer out and over the trees to get themselves into a position to make a 20-30' foot, something is very wrong.

The scoring data is there to confirm or change things before "half" of them come back for 2013 Worlds.

"Understand some comments, but the volume, and tone were the problem!"

EXACTLY!!!! There is a place and a time for saying what you think about the course. A group of top pros bitchin at the awards ceremony for all the locals to here is not the right place. If they don't start learning how to be respectful, I fear there will be nowhere left for them to play.

I still think it is hillarious that one of the PROS was extremely upset that the spotter on 15 at Deer Lakes would not go in the pond to get his disc. Even though those spotters spent the whole day sweating their butts off to help out with no reward. And when there is a sign that says "entering the lake punishable up to $300". Some people ain't got no class.

Hmm, I didn't stick around for the awards, so I missed this. Must get the skinny...

The scoring data is there to confirm or change things before "half" of them come back for 2013 Worlds.

I hand-delivered the Deer Lakes scorecards to J. Gary for that purpose and will put any insights gained here if I receive the data. As far as coursework goes, I had never realized how relatively easy it is to transplant anchors or install new anchors...just a couple guys can do it in less than an hour.

I have a lot of data from a few years worth of events. I believe that the pins that we normally use for the Ironwood and the PFDO are the best pins. Why 5 or 6 were changed is beyond me. But either way, I had a blast.

Really what I was worried about, especially how excited everyone was. Just makes young enthusiastic people not want to get into promoting, sponsoring or running tournaments for them in all honesty. Really hoping that it wasn't going to happen there, but in all honesty I knew it was.

Was going to take vids of the top pros, but went out and ran around downtown and the strip district instead so just made a Uncle Ricoesque Vid of Deer Lakes!

http://vimeo.com/28362818

Really what I was worried about, especially how excited everyone was. Just makes young enthusiastic people not want to get into promoting, sponsoring or running tournaments for them in all honesty. Really hoping that it wasn't going to happen there, but in all honesty I knew it was.

Was going to take vids of the top pros, but went out and ran around downtown and the strip district instead so just made a Uncle Ricoesque Vid of Deer Lakes!

http://vimeo.com/28362818

Fantastic video! If the Disc Golf Monthly video filmed there Saturday turns out half as good as yours, I'll be thrilled.

Ripper
I felt the same way regarding Deer Lakes...that it was more of the Lincoln Ridge and Moraine a bit of a bigger Idlewild

If the pros bitched so much about Pittsburgh....I cant imagine them playing holes 5-9 at Idlewild :)

I hand-delivered the Deer Lakes scorecards to J. Gary for that purpose and will put any insights gained here if I receive the data. As far as coursework goes, I had never realized how relatively easy it is to transplant anchors or install new anchors...just a couple guys can do it in less than an hour.

Really doesn't take too long, but that post hole digger always does a number on my arms.

Ripper
I felt the same way regarding Deer Lakes...that it was more of the Lincoln Ridge and Moraine a bit of a bigger Idlewild

If the pros bitched so much about Pittsburgh....I cant imagine them playing holes 5-9 at Idlewild :)

They did a few months ago. :) LOL They didn't give very positive reviews, or vibes which is why I had little to NO interest in following them in Pittsburgh lol. They play relaxed OBs though for the A tier, which makes Idlewild a totally different course though. Man, really don't want to say anything bad anymore about it but bitching is putting it mildly. Still over all still saw some scores that I never thought I would see like 3's on 13 long, 3 on 5, 2 on hole 1 etc. and Dion Arlyn shot a 72 on a par 90 at Idle which was the hot round by 7 strokes! They are impressive athletes, and playing rounds with a top pro all week beforehand was awesome so no real regrets! Learned allot also when they were in. Just tourney time is a different animal. All the vids i've seen on Noxamixim though have a feeling you might get some frustration, etc. LOL :)

I want to play those cours's, they look sweet.
Highly recommend. Wish I could have gotten more on Morraine. Being your allot better than I really would like to hear what you think of that course!

Pittsburgh was always that city I hated forever because of one specific Black and Gold team lol, but have to say the city really impressed me. Walked around downtown and allot to do down there. Walked through a submarine, and the riverfront was allot fun. Church brewworks was a great meal, and an amazing atmosphere. Also went to Fatheads? and not sure what district it was in but reminded me of OTR, Mainstrauss area which was the highlight. Lot of awesome weird stuff was going on down there in that district! All around Pittsburgh was a plus and tried to make it known that PFDO got me up there. :) Just glad I have a really close friend up there so it gives me a reason to go back. Drive really isn't all that bad either, so maybe i'll show up to one of the C Tiers coming up!

Come on up for The Hunt at Deer Lakes on October 22. One day, two rounds at Deer Lakes. Tourney is pushed back this year, so it will probably be pretty close to peak of fall foliage. Not sure what trees make up Hole 14, but they all turn bright yellow...surreal! Looks like the forest is on fire!

Or, check out the Seven Springs Disc Golf Classic on October 1-2. Same quality course design but on a ski slope.

Just to get you thinking...

e53c48a5.jpg

Also went to Fatheads? and not sure what district it was in but reminded me of OTR

Fatheads is my favorite restaurant in the burgh and has the best burgers I have ever had. I like it so much, I actually based where I was going to live in the city on its location so that I could walk there. Not to mention the south side is a fun area in general

:popcorn:

Latest posts