• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lights out-Strategy for Best Glow Play

Dr.Smooth

Double Eagle Member
Oh no... it's getting to be less light out. And well don't freak out yet but we better start thinking about how to increase the effectiveness of our low light play.

What are your tips for play, equipment, etc.. for playing in low light.

LEDs and gaffer tape also a winner of you don't have a glow bag.

Personally I also use Glow discs and a UV/black light flashlight.

Though i don't like my glow mid right now...

Last edited:
Hi Guys, We've just release our Starlite Module for night play. It's a LED module that secures tightly within our discs. You can check it out here: www.toudiscs.com. Click on the Starlite link.

ya... glow discs and a UV blacklight... I use a 51 LED UV Flashlight (under $20 on eBay and Amazon)

ThrowLites are the way to go. I usually just take a fairway or mid that I am comfortable putting with, affix my light, and commence the night action, but I know people who light up multiple discs. ThrowLite is essentially two LEDs joined by two metal bars that you slip a watch battery between. Use clear duct tape for best results. Oh, and for the love of God, do NOT affix them to the top of your flight plate! I always chuckle when I see people do that. I am laughing AT them, not with them. They belong on the underside of your flight plate, perfectly centered on the injection point nub. Another personal tip, leave some slack as you tape it down. Doing it too tight will cause the tape to push the ThrowLite against your flight plate, which will in effect give your disc a "Prodigy nipple" and drastically alter its flight.

Last edited:
that setup will work... I got used to throwing mostly glow plastic so I don't have to do anything other than have my UV flashlight with me... very easy to find a glow disc at night... usually easier to find glow discs at night than any disc in the daytime... very fun to watch it fly to... either way you go, have fun... night discin' is very fun! :)

that setup will work... I got used to throwing mostly glow plastic so I don't have to do anything other than have my UV flashlight with me... very easy to find a glow disc at night... usually easier to find glow discs at night than any disc in the daytime... very fun to watch it fly to... either way you go, have fun... night discin' is very fun! :)

This! Finding an errant disc is a piece of cake when you just "go to the light", I know a few people who only play at night.

I haven't seen much difference between fixing light to the top or bottom in terms of flights.

But really I should make this decision on discs that know and do it during the day.

If its at the top it is brighter and easier to see. I like the idea of a using a clearish disc with the light on the bottom though.

Problem is I think as night comes and cooler weather sets in my champion/opto plastic types are too rigid and slippery.

So their fore you have to attach to the top to see the disc. Maybe I'm missing something here but perhaps you could state your argument better.

Thanks.

I haven't seen much difference between fixing light to the top or bottom in terms of flights.

But really I should make this decision on discs that I know very well and do my testing during the day.

If its at the top it is brighter and easier to see. I like the idea of a using a clearish disc with the light on the bottom though.

Problem is I think as night comes and cooler weather sets in my champion/opto plastic types are too rigid and slippery.

So their fore you have to attach to the top to see the disc. Maybe I'm missing something here but perhaps you could state your argument better.

Thanks.

The thing about lights and tape is when to apply them. With less daylight comes lower temps. Tape, plastic, and cold don't mix. If you know you're going to be out after the sun drops, you need to attach the lights to discs before they are in the cold so the tape actually sticks. Putting them on after you're already on the course brings a much greater chance of the light flying off when you inevitably hit a tree.

Disc temp is a non-factor, but if your tape is cold, the adhesive will more or less suck. Debris like dust and condensation also negatively affect the adhesion of your tape, so be sure to wipe your disc down before taping. Also, do not cheap out on tape. I use either 3M or Scotch brand clear duct tape.

Unfortunately, some of the better tapes have gone OOP or are just plain hard to find anymore. My fave clear duct tape has now gone OOP. It didn't care about temp at all and was very water resistant. Have always heard good things about Frost King tape as well. Temp didn't affect it much. Now I'll ave to try out the 3M and maybe Rustoleum clear duct tapes. :\

My plan of attack for this year is a mix....glow Vibrams and UV light, glow duct tape for some and LED's and clear tape for the rest. Lets do this.:thmbup: