• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lights out-Strategy for Best Glow Play

Bait lights are great until they turn off, they have a little slide that turns em on and off, put a length of tape around that part once it is on and it won't happen. ThrowLites are still better.

I like the bait lights, they're so small and lightweight and easy to attach. If I put two on each disc, pointing opposite direction, I've never seen both turn off. I use the simple clear plastic mailing tape.

agreed 100%. I really dislike people shining flashlights around when playing glowie. It will get you yelled at with our group. Part of the fun is letting your night vision come up and enjoying the dark.

Best taping strategy (I use 3M clear duct tape, works well) is to apply tape at home at room temperature. The adhesive works better and the warmer plastic creates a better bond.

I prefer these lights
$(KGrHqEOKjcE31vVndmnBN97mwdz+w~~_35.JPG

I've never had a problem with UV lights. My Maglite is another story. Only problem with the UV is it will charge Vibram so much it turns into a small sun! I've had too many of those stick on or tape on lights fall off or turn off and then it turns into an half hr long game of "find my beloved ace disc".

What's a top hat LED?

Top hat refers to the shape. Look at the Ebay link and notice the shape. They call it a flat top there, which it is. One of my suppliers has those listed as 5mm top hats. They do sorta resemble a top hat. They also have round tops, straw hats, which are the same as top hats, just about half as tall. It may well be one their nicknames that I have picked up...not sure.

ThrowLites
light-throw-lite-yellow-img.png

41xgayQOJQL.jpg

light-throw-lite-img_5.png

If you play a lot of night rounds, you owe it to yourself to try them. I plan to make a trip to Ax-Man Surplus and start building my own haha.

Last edited:
http://imgur.com/7IZPnMF (basket shot from last year)

http://imgur.com/TPFcbA0 (how we light up our baskets)

http://imgur.com/oLH4lAM (the end result)

BENFTS, have you ever done a write up or explained how the baskets are lit? That basket lighting was awesome. :hfive: Tons better than we do. I'd like to know how you did it...if ya don't mind.

When the clubs do it here, we are lucky to get a single glow stick, double sticks on special occasions. A regular night group at a course doesn't even light the baskets. :thmbdown: When my group does it, we have some 27 LED battery powered work lights we sit on top of the basket shining down. It lights it up nicely and can be seen a long, long way....but its way boring compared to yours. :)

BENFTS, have you ever done a write up or explained how the baskets are lit? That basket lighting was awesome. :hfive: Tons better than we do. I'd like to know how you did it...if ya don't mind.

When the clubs do it here, we are lucky to get a single glow stick, double sticks on special occasions. A regular night group at a course doesn't even light the baskets. :thmbdown: When my group does it, we have some 27 LED battery powered work lights we sit on top of the basket shining down. It lights it up nicely and can be seen a long, long way....but its way boring compared to yours. :)

:hfive: I can put together the info if you want. Long story short is all of the LEDs and basket lights are hand made and take a good amount of time to do. Hobby King or ebay is the place to get the needed supplies to begin the project. Most costly is the batteries for the LED strip lighting, we use the radio controlled airplane batteries and they keep the lights on for about 5 hours.

Look in the photo section of the group to see tons of other glow golf pics.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/163961560296668/

Last edited:
:hfive: I can put together the info if you want. Long story short is all of the LEDs and basket lights are hand made and take a good amount of time to do. Hobby King or ebay is the place to get the needed supplies to begin the project. Most costly is the batteries for the LED strip lighting, we use the radio controlled airplane batteries and they keep the lights on for about 5 hours.

Rough total cost? I've had basket lights walk, but I think I can build a locking bracket for these. Great idea!

Any info is helpful. Looked at the pics and its awesome to see it done up right at night. Puts this area to shame. :thmbdown:

See if I am on the right track.....you are using just LED rope and a couple of batteries? Or a single per strand? Looked like the majority are just a single rope around the perimeter ring. Anyone steal them from under your noses? That would be a big issue here I'd wager. :mad: I'd bet we could do half what you did and still blow everyone's socks off since they are used to no light or a glow stick.

Any info is helpful. Looked at the pics and its awesome to see it done up right at night. Puts this area to shame. :thmbdown:

See if I am on the right track.....you are using just LED rope and a couple of batteries? Or a single per strand? Looked like the majority are just a single rope around the perimeter ring. Anyone steal them from under your noses? That would be a big issue here I'd wager. :mad: I'd bet we could do half what you did and still blow everyone's socks off since they are used to no light or a glow stick.

I have had 1 LED strand and battery stolen and I nearly lost my damn mind after all the work put in. Now I ziptie them down and pay more attention but I haven't lost one since. You'll need to solder the connections on the LED bands and you'll need a charger for the batteries but his pretty much covers the basket lighting tho.

Battery Pack
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...1500mAH_LiFe_3S_9_9v_Taranis_Compatible_.html

LED Light Bands
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/RC_PRODUCT_SEARCH.asp?strSearch=LED

Last edited:
Great, thanks!:thmbup:

Question, are you just using bare strips or is the rope in something? A tube perhaps? AM thinking about it being waterproof. We have one night tourney that is always sloppy wet.

Great, thanks!:thmbup:

Question, are you just using bare strips or is the rope in something? A tube perhaps? AM thinking about it being waterproof. We have one night tourney that is always sloppy wet.

Just using the bare strips. Some clear tubing works great (I have that on my basket in the back yard) but it's not necessary. Waterproofing is one thing we don't really have to worry about here in California but it's primarily the battery you need to worry about not the lights.

Last edited:
Just using the bare strips. Some clear tubing works great (I have that on my basket in the back yard) but it's not necessary. Waterproofing is one thing we don't really have to worry about here in California but it's primarily the battery you need to worry about not the lights.

OK, thanks a bundle. I'll put the info to good use. :thmbup:

BENFTS, I just received my LED's for the basket. (yes, I am moving FAST on this. :) )
Got them from HK, but am not impressed with them at all. They said they had them in stock in Arkansas, but then shipped them from Hong Kong and charged me 20 clams to do it.:mad: Still, I got them in 3 days from HK....at least I got my 20 clams worth.

What I got was 2, one meter lengths of green. I plan on linking them together with solderless connectors and making one large ring. These strips seem to have a large amount of spool memory...does that work out eventually?

You also said you have a practice basket LED in tubing....how did you seal the ends? Or did you?

I plan on using switchable LIPO batteries for mine. I also have a AA 8 battery power pack that should work nicely since it says it needs 12v. Are you running yours on 12v or 9.6v? The link to the batt you provided was to a 9.6? If 9.6vdc works, I could get some good rechargeable AA's and use them. They are 1.2v vs. the 1.5v for the disposables.