• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Little Tips and Tricks

Join your local disc club. Getting involved in the maintenance and development of the sport the way clubs do helps you enjoy it even more. :)

If you throw horribly (especially into thick brush or tall grass) dont take your eyes off it (if the brush doesnt obstruct your view) and walk/run after it right away. Unless you are confident about your first disc's location, throwing another may just worsen things (two-fold if your second throw is just as bad). This is usually the case when A) Throwing a new/unfamiliar disc, B) Throwing across high winds, C) Throwing later on in the evening (dusk eats as many discs as water does in my opinion), D) Throwing an unfamiliar course/hole.

Behind an Evergreen? and 40' from the basket

Flip your high speed driver upside down and skip that puppy under the lowest branch.

Some good tips from the crowd.

Before you putt, stop, close your eyes and take a deep breath.
Relax and clear you head.
Focus on a single link - nothing else matters except you and the basket.

Learn each individual disc's flight characteristics.

When I started out playing I had too many discs and no idea what any of them did.

After a while I decided to sharpie each disc's info onto the back of the flight plate so that I could look at it on the practice field and understand what it did.

Now I have each disc's flight characteristics memorized and barely have to think before choosing which one works for each shot I need.

If you get deep in the rough, learn to accept it and take a stroke to get back to the fairway. Way too many times you can "see a line" to the basket from the thick that is more imagination than reality. I've thrown this "line" a thousand times, and nearly always wished I would've taken the stroke directly back to the fairway.

If you are getting frustrated with your game or bored call a local pro and take a lesson on driving. yeah everyone says driving is for show, but it makes the game more fun also. The right disc to throw on a hole is the slowest disc that will work when you throw with about 80 percent power.

putting is more about confidence than anything else

whether you think you can make it or think you can't, you're right.

putting is more about confidence than anything else

whether you think you can make it or think you can't, you're right.

Funny thing happened to me during a club round this morning. My first round was teh suxxorzzz, which had me down, and while my driving had recovered for the second round, I kept doinking birdie putts off the front of the basket. Must've cost me 5 or 6 strokes. Anyway, we get near the end of the second round, and my dog, who had been doing fine off leash all day, got the scent of something and trotted off into the woods. After I chased her down and brought her back to the hole I was on, I was too out of breath to get tense, and I immediately drained what must've been a 50-60 foot putt for my only birdie that round. Putting really is all in your head.

Last edited:
Driving: before you pick up a disc think about where you want the disc to go then get a disc that can acheive that line. prior to your run up focus exactly where you want the disc to go. have that spot fill your vision and your thoughts. don't think about your form or grip or anything like that; that's what practise feilds and before you step into the tee box are for. when you turn you back on the basket for you reach back continue to visualize where you want to throw the disc. keep that image in you head as long and as firmly as possible. accuracy is the key to better score. that and putting. the rest of your form should be second nature and be done without conscience thought. Easier said than done I know.

putting: other than practise as much, if not more, than your driving I would say that focus on one link that you want to hit. Aim small, miss small. Never think about about how you can miss the putt or what will happen if you do miss. Do or do not, there is no try. Keep your mind clear and calm during your putt.

I am by no means a pro, but I have incorporated these into my rounds and I have seen a noticable difference in my game.

don't eat too much bran before playing...especially if you have a long drive to the course.
And to all of you sidearmers...keep that elbow in tight and don't forget that you need to follow through just as much as the backhanders....

Don't try to muscle your drives. You will get much more distance with good form/technique and power at the right points in the motion.

Don't try to muscle your drives. You will get much more distance with good form/technique and power at the right points in the motion.

agreed, you'll get better accuracy and distance throwing ~80% power. you get more of that elusive buzz word snap

Just got done reading through this and felt it needed a bump. Maybe save someone from asking a question wich is already answered and taking flack for it.

And nice tips guys!

Latest posts