• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Longest Courses Tee - Basket

rhatton1

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Had a great and unexpected meeting with a golf course this week that we put a 9 hole beginners course on last year on their pitch and putt.

The meeting was supposed to be about finalising a temporary course on their main 9 hole par 64 golf course for a one off tournament. It escalated quickly into the soft opening of a brand new course (I love the owner, easiest person I've ever had to deal with in any form of business!)

Having a number of property design limitations has led to a par 68, 3300 meter, 10800'ish tee to basket layout, aimed at about 980 rated to par. Not something I was intending at all, my temporary course was going to be about half this size, playing 18 holes once round the 9 hole golf course. However apart from two holes which are a bit of a slog (4/13 playing down their straightish par 5) The rest are all really fun challenging holes testing a huge range of shots from tee and fairway. only things it misses are elevation (it's in the Norfolk fenlands, as flat as you could possibly imagine!) and some heavily wooded holes although there is scope for that in future if this layout takes off.

Doing a quick idiots search on the courses here though doesn't seem to show many other courses at all in this range of length. Am I missing something in the search criteria or have I inadvertently created one of the longest course layouts in the world?

cJn9w5h.jpg

Not sure how search correctly but there is a course over 14000 or maybe even over 17000 that i have seen just browsing one day. your course would probably be in the top 10 or 20 if I had to guess. For some reason I keep thinking Thunderbird DGC????? I might be off on that.

yeah 10800' doesn't sound that big to me, I put in search parameters of 9500'- 9999'+ and it came out with one page worth and lots of those were 27 holes or more. I must be doing something wrong

Idlewild from the longs - 10964 ft; 24 HOLES

I can't seem to get the search to work either

I live close to Goat Hill in Oceanside and it's very close to your total distance as an 18 hole course. I've heard it's one of the longest 18 hole permanent courses.

There used to be a 13,000-foot, 18-hole course on a golf course in South Carolina (it closed).

There also used to be a 10,000-foot, 18-hole private course (closed too).

What's Winthrop Gold?

A 10,800-foot, 18-hole course may not be #1 in distance, but if not it'll be way up on the list.

Sequoyah State Park in Oklahoma is supposedly over 16,000 feet.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5795

But largely the only reason it's that long is because the course traces the park's ball golf course about 90% of the way.

To me, tracing ball golf hole spines equals largely boring disc golf, and I think people who somehow find putting such courses up is a good idea don't understand the nuances of disc golf all that well.

You'd think with a big layout like the one Sequoyah has, people would perhaps be flocking to it, and I'm sure some people have played it. But I've never heard any accolades about the place from anyone in my disc golf circles. Not one.

Depends on the course surely?

Normally I am looking to not follow the golf fairways and cross, reverse directions or all sorts if I have free reign. The limitation of this course was needing to tee off from the same areas as the ball golfers and have a similar flow, playing round twice to distinct holes was an interesting challenge.

luckily enough it's just about perfect for disc golf, naturally shaped fairways you have to work lines to throw down and loads of gradated water carries asking you to bite off as much as you feel comfortable with. It's not a very long course by golf standards but is very technical. Works superbly for Disc Golf with mature 40 year old Poplars lining every fairway with scatterings of other trees planted to create shapes, I couldn't on paper have come up with much better on the hole 13 layout, distance wise for the water carries and where the trees come in to shape the shots.

I played the course with a bigger grin on my face than any I've played recently. Pure enjoyment for most of the holes. holes 6 - 9 and 15 -18 are as good as any i've played anywhere TBH.

Moss Hill

Moss Hill a new 18 hole Pay-to-Play course in Versailles KY measures over 11,300 feet (par 72).

Blue Lake in OR is about 10.3k.

Sunny Lake in OH is just a tick under 11k.

Both 18 holes.

There's a course still in the works that's currently got 3 hole loops roughed in.
- tight wooded 9 holes 2749'
- wooded 9 holes 3781'
- relatively open 9 holes 6059'

The property owner used to be golfer and wants champion level par 72 courses. It's going to be a beast with several water carries and lots of terrain.

I've always heard Blue Valley in KC, MO is giant. It has lot of elevation too. Here is how it's listed on DGCR

9297 ft. – 11049 ft.

If anyone is ever in the Buffalo / Rochester / Syracuse area I suggest playing Shore Winds DGC . There are 2 different 18 hole courses the Blue course is 9,110 ft (Par 71) and the White course is 6,370 ft.(Par 69). It's also a beautiful park / campgrounds right on the shores of Lake Ontario.

Sequoyah State Park in Oklahoma is supposedly over 16,000 feet.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5795

But largely the only reason it's that long is because the course traces the park's ball golf course about 90% of the way.

To me, tracing ball golf hole spines equals largely boring disc golf, and I think people who somehow find putting such courses up is a good idea don't understand the nuances of disc golf all that well.

You'd think with a big layout like the one Sequoyah has, people would perhaps be flocking to it, and I'm sure some people have played it. But I've never heard any accolades about the place from anyone in my disc golf circles. Not one.

i think this is the course that I was thinking of. I still think that there is 1 more like Sequoya, but I could be wrong.

Have played Sequoyah 5 or 6 times. If you want to work on your long game this is the place. I imagine it is the greatest bomber course of all. Holes average over 800' from tees to baskets with much elevation. Without a golf cart it's basically like playing two 18 hole DG courses. What is most special about Sequoyah is the fact that disc golfers are as welcome as ball golfers. Five dollars to play all day. If you enjoy the beauty of a ball golf course while ripping your favorite driver hole after hole you will love this place. Sequoyah is one of my favorite courses to play.

There's a course still in the works that's currently got 3 hole loops roughed in.
- tight wooded 9 holes 2749'
- wooded 9 holes 3781'
- relatively open 9 holes 6059'

The property owner used to be golfer and wants champion level par 72 courses. It's going to be a beast with several water carries and lots of terrain.
Lake Marshall is officially listed now in its quasi-state.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8968

yeah 10800' doesn't sound that big to me, I put in search parameters of 9500'- 9999'+ and it came out with one page worth and lots of those were 27 holes or more. I must be doing something wrong
There are certainly more courses than what comes up in the search. There are many courses that don't have the course distance listed, therefore don't show up in search, while others may be out dated. IDK why Mahr Park and Iron Hill don't come up in the search. :confused:

Latest posts