• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Looking for a new High Speed Understable Driver

OP here...Have any of y'all thrown a TD2 and do you think it'd work for what I'm looking for?
Funny, I was going to suggest the TD2.

More stable than your standard Mamba, thanks to the DM Anhyzer top. Definitely reminds me of a mini-Katana.

The King, Ballista or Lace are probably your best best.

Two winters ago I was on the search for this slot and I tried along with the above; D4, D5, Katana, Tern, Nuke, Nuke SS, Rampage, Cannon, Inertia, Bolt, Backdraft, and Trespass. And the three above preformed the best for me in relation to what I wanted, and of those the King feels the best. It's really fast but the rim is reall like a speed 12.

The King, Ballista or Lace are probably your best best.

Two winters ago I was on the search for this slot and I tried along with the above; D4, D5, Katana, Tern, Nuke, Nuke SS, Rampage, Cannon, Inertia, Bolt, Backdraft, and Trespass. And the three above preformed the best for me in relation to what I wanted, and of those the King feels the best. It's really fast but the rim is reall like a speed 12.

Interesting...that's a lot of discs. Can you tell me what made you like the King, Ballista and Lace the most (flight characteristics, stability, etc.)? Also, how far are you throwing these on the above mentioned distance line?

With this type of disc I throw them 400-440, and these three didn't flip over very often when hyzerflipped unless it was fairly windy, they all have enough turn to glide really well, and can be manipulated on both hyzer and anhyzer lines.

The Lace was the easiest to throw dead straight, the Balista was easier to turn over from flat, and the King in VIP plastic is kind of in between.

The others were either too flippy(D5, Inertia, Nuke SS, Bolt)or faded out sooner than I was hoping.(Rampage, Tresspass, Nuke)

So after trying a few different discs, I think I found what I'm looking for, the Vibram M-Granite unLace. I haven't had a whole lot of play-time with it, but it's flying pretty sweet for the few shots I've had with it. I'm not sure if the numbers are exactly accurate as they would lead me to believe that it is more understable than the Vulcan, but I find it more stable and less twitchy. Vulcans I've thrown turn over super fast and start heading right almost immediately. The unLace is definitely understable, but it's much more gradual. The Vulcan might take 100' to completely flip over, while the unLace fips up and over much more gradually.

Other discs I tried:
X Nuke SS - WAYYYY too understable
S-TD2 - has the same numbers as the unLace but is much more stable. It has too much fade and doesn't hold its turn or glide nearly long enough for me.
Pro Tern - this is a pretty sweet disc but it's a little too stable for what I'm looking for. It bombs on a high slight anhyzer release, but it also has a little bit more fade than I'm looking for.
Lucid Freedom - too stable

Thanks for all of the suggestions, but I think I've finally found a replacement for the Pro Katana!

Yeah, Nuke SSs are a pain in the ass. They're tantalizing and super long, but almost impossible to keep from flipping over. Every once in a while the stars will align and you get that perfect HUUUGGEE hyzerflip bomb. The rest of the time the Nuke SS will just turn and burn.

I've had a couple of the longest throws of my life with Nuke SSs though.