• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Looking for a putter....

trice15

Hi everyone,

I am looking to try out a new putter. I have been struggling to find a putter that works for me. I have used Ions for a while, and switched to DX Aviars, and tried kc pro one too.

None of these are working for me.

I feel like the aviars are too hard of a plastic and they do not fly out of my hand right all the time. Also I do not like how much the wind seems to effect them when putting (maybe thats just me)

The Ion's, sometimes my knuckled would catch on the rim and that bugged me as well, they flew out of my hand much nicer than that, but i think they were just slightly too soft for me.

I like to putt hard and straight, (believe that is the best way???)
And I think something in between an Aviar and an Ion would work best.

These putters will be for only putting, not driving at all. Any putt any range that I am trying to put in the basket.

Any suggestions on putters that may fit my category?? Open to anything.

I'll make a shameless plug for one of Reptilian Disc Golf's putters.

The Serpent is a straight/slightly OS putter that features no bead (the ridge like protrusion on the bottom of a disc, featured on the Ion and KC Aviar). The Serpent flies straight into the chains, is available in Chalk RFF (really freaking flexible) from Gateway and is just an all around workhorse.

It is also not affected by the wind nearly as much as most beadless putters. Give one a try and you'll be buying a stack :)

reptiliandiscgolf.com

All your putters are good ones. But if they just aren't working for you, go to your local store. Hold as many diferent putters as you can in your own hands. Wave them around. Toss them if you can. Pick one that feels really comfortable.
Then buy two (or more) of them at 175(ish) grams.

People are going to say a bunch more specific stuff. About plastics mostly, and beads, and Wizards. People are going to say a lot about Wizards.

But just pick what feels good and get a couple heavy ones. Then throw them until they are destroyed or you are tired of them. At which point you can get different ones. Or more of the same ones.

Have fun.

Personally, I would recommend a Judge (if you don't mind a bead) or a Warden (if you prefer beadless) in classic plastic. You could also try a Wizard, Magnet, or Challenger.

I also agree with Davidrboy - it is a good idea to go to a store and hold a bunch of putters to see what feels good to you.

Try a Wizard. Sorry couldn't help it. But a Judge or Warden would also be a nice middle ground between Aviar and Ion. The Judge / Warden is shallower so that may give you a better release.

Hi everyone,

I am looking to try out a new putter. I have been struggling to find a putter that works for me. I have used Ions for a while, and switched to DX Aviars, and tried kc pro one too.

None of these are working for me.

I feel like the aviars are too hard of a plastic and they do not fly out of my hand right all the time. Also I do not like how much the wind seems to effect them when putting (maybe thats just me)

The Ion's, sometimes my knuckled would catch on the rim and that bugged me as well, they flew out of my hand much nicer than that, but i think they were just slightly too soft for me.

I like to putt hard and straight, (believe that is the best way???)
And I think something in between an Aviar and an Ion would work best.

These putters will be for only putting, not driving at all. Any putt any range that I am trying to put in the basket.

Any suggestions on putters that may fit my category?? Open to anything.

I started out with Ions as well. I also putt hard and straight and found that the Atom Soft works best for me.

It's helped me a lot to try some shallower putters. The Wizards were okay but they would sometimes get hung up on my release. Definitely go feel as many as you can, even ones with identical rim depth on paper don't always feel the same in your hand.

I am trying to decide between Gateway Chiefs, Discraft Ringers or Vibram Summits.

Even the Warden feels like too deep of a rim for me to get a clean release and it's only 0.2 or 0.3cm deeper than those three. Vibram might have the most soft plastic options, but I do like the Classic Soft plastic of the Wardens and Judges.

Like has already been said, you're gonna have to feel them for your self.

I'm a straight to the chains spin putter and I've tried lots of putters and ended up using the Yeti Aviar, and if I had to choose my second favorite, it would be the Judge

First find out what you like in a putter.

Do you like bead or no bead? Flat or a little dome? Premium plastic or grippy base plastic?

Personally I like a Liquid Touch it is a flat beaded putter with a rounded edge that is not affected by the wind but doesn't have that strong of a fade. The liquid plastic is super durable so it takes forever to beat it in at all, but it flies like a seasoned Wizard so you don't need or want it to change.

As meantioned the Wizard is good, I also like the Warlock, Gui, Challenger, Anode and Yeti Aviars but it just depends on what you like.

I would suggest trying a soft atom as well and if you dont like those I just picked up a bt soft shield for wife and I am really liking it even though it probably wont kick my atoms out.

I started out with Ions as well. I also putt hard and straight and found that the Atom Soft works best for me.

as a combo push-spin putter I can see why the the atom would get love for those who mostly spin putt hard and straight. I like the ion for more of the lob style putt and its bigger feel with the anode is just a beadless ion. Atom is a solid recommendation and the plastic feels very nice.

I'd grab an MVP Soft Anode and try that out IMO.

Like everyone else said, go into a store and feel up as many putters as you can find. Find one that fits your hand comfortably and go try a few of them out.

I grabbed a few of these SSS organic prototype wizards. They feel nice in hand, fly straight and stable for me. Thanks for the suggestions. Should I worry about them being prototype and changing in future buys?? Edit: also, the softness is a good mix between what the ion and aviar gave me

The Wizard will never go out of production, barring something crazy. Plastics change, but thats about it. I am going through a bit of a Wizard plastic dilema myself, but I am pretty sure just the sale Wizards alone keeps Gateway in the black.

Most players that have 'found' their putter carry multiples. Just ask to borrow one for a round and putt strictly with it. That will give you a better idea than just a feel or a handful of putts on a practice basket on the side of a store.

Eventually, you'll find one but it's a process that, at times, never seems to end.

I like eraser wizards- I use the "spush" style, so the grippy surface works well with finger spring, I like the beaded style, and it is good in the wind. I was back and forth between that and classic judges for a while, wizard just felt better to me.

The ones I got are beaded, kind of have sort of the grippy but smooth feel to them. I like that they are soft, but not too soft. The ions were just a bit too soft, and the aviars were way too hard. I was more of wondering with them being the "Organic Prototype" will i have any problems when they get old, finding new ones(SSS Wizards still, but a different plastic), or say if the release the non prototype, it feeling a lot different? (I got 3, th ey were only 10 bucks a piece)