• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

looking for an understable driver

Avenger SS

Xpress

Glide

I second this, though I just took the Xpress out of my bag because it was not understable enough for me. That and I pretty much figured that there was not a big enough difference in speed between the Avenger SS and the Xpress. I have also seen people use the glide, which is more fo a cross between a driver and a midrange. It is a great disc for those type of shots though. For me it is the Avenger SS, which also works great as a roller disc.

the valk is an understable driver,but if its not flipping for you than you should try a light weight leopard.

I disagree, particularly because I have a Star 175 Valkyrie, and I don't have the power to flip it, like the OP.

I found a lot of success with a Star 150 Valkyrie. I can lay some anhyzer and get it to turn waaaay over, or I can hyzer flip it for some nice distance. Because it's a little squirrely, it's not great for tunnel shots or wooded courses, but it gets the job done. Another nice thing is that it has enough fade so that it doesn't tend to land on edge and turn into a roller even on big anny shots.

I kept the 175 for tunnel shots, as it has just a touch of turn for me.

Why has nobody suggested a Star Beast, that disc can hold a right turn well, and its faster than the Roadrunner...

Roadrunner
Beast
Avenger SS
Vulcan?

Last edited:
i use a dx cheetah. its great for tailwind as well, but throw it in a headwind and you will regret it....

I'm leaning towards...
River & Xpress
Not sold on the Avenger SS but I'll prolly pick one up and try it anyways. Is there a certain plastic I should get?

I have a Champion Beast that levels back out and "S"s left. Is Star going to change that?

What about a Viking?

I'm leaning towards...
River & Xpress
Not sold on the Avenger SS but I'll prolly pick one up and try it anyways. Is there a certain plastic I should get?

I have a Champion Beast that levels back out and "S"s left. Is Star going to change that?

What about a Viking?

If you have a strong arm with power, the Avenger SS is nothing more than a roller. It's very understable... I have a 172 ESP FLX standerd Avenger that I can turn over with ease, it acts like my roadrunner but does not flex back.

Im not sure if the flight characteristics of the Champion Beast to the Star compare. I had and lost a Champ Beast, but it was not the same as the Star Beast I have thrown. I dont carry a Beast anymore, but my buddy does and I have tried throwing it and it does well. But I will stick to my star roadrunner and the FLX avenger i mentioned.

I'm leaning towards...
River & Xpress

What about a Viking?

I have a 150g DX Viking that i use for RHBH and it gets me a nice long drive. I've tried giving it a FH throw and it turns over pretty quick. Im not sure if thats what you're looking for, but i'd assume you'd want something heavier than 150g.

I'm leaning towards...
River & Xpress

What about a Viking?

I had a dx Viking and after some beating it will make some huge s curves if it has the height

I disagree, particularly because I have a Star 175 Valkyrie, and I don't have the power to flip it, like the OP.

I found a lot of success with a Star 150 Valkyrie. I can lay some anhyzer and get it to turn waaaay over, or I can hyzer flip it for some nice distance. Because it's a little squirrely, it's not great for tunnel shots or wooded courses, but it gets the job done. Another nice thing is that it has enough fade so that it doesn't tend to land on edge and turn into a roller even on big anny shots.

I kept the 175 for tunnel shots, as it has just a touch of turn for me.

Don't really see how you can disagree with a valk being understable.

Don't really see how you can disagree with a valk being understable.

I have found the star and beat DX Valks to be very understable. Once a star Valk turns over, it seldom if ever comes back. The champ plastic has always been pretty straight at higher weights. That's my experience...

As for understable drivers. Just like overstable drivers, all of them have certain characteristics that will act differently when thrown by different players. I have bought and traded just about all of them. They're all good at what they do. Just find the one that's good for you.

I like...
Innova Roadrunner
Discraft Avenger SS
Lat 64 Vision
Millennium Orion LS

All in the mid to low 160's for long range US driver.

Innova Leopard
Discraft Glide
Lat 64 River
Millennium Polaris LS

All in the mid to high 160's for fairway US driver.

I would argue that if the Valkyrie is straight for you then the river won't fit the understable category for you either. I would suggest a Vision or Roadrunner

I have found the star and beat DX Valks to be very understable. Once a star Valk turns over, it seldom if ever comes back. The champ plastic has always been pretty straight at higher weights. That's my experience...

As for understable drivers. Just like overstable drivers, all of them have certain characteristics that will act differently when thrown by different players. I have bought and traded just about all of them. They're all good at what they do. Just find the one that's good for you.

I like...
Innova Roadrunner
Discraft Avenger SS
Lat 64 Vision
Millennium Orion LS

All in the mid to low 160's for long range US driver.

Innova Leopard
Discraft Glide
Lat 64 River
Millennium Polaris LS

All in the mid to high 160's for fairway US driver.

I don't think the OLS is going to be really u/s at his power. I have a 163 SOLS that is used, not beat, and it has some turn, some fade, but definitely not really u/s. I'm around 300, maybe 350 max once in a blue moon so I don't think he'll get much turn at 250-275. But I think your other suggestions are pretty solid

Lat 64 vision very understable
Innova sidewinder
Discraft avenger ss
Linniva leopard
Innova roadrunner
Innova fx valkyrie - get it beat it slightly and it will start turning quick

I can hyzer flip my vision and turn it into a roller. It's the most understable driver I have ever thrown. Very little power is required to throw this disc.

I have a star roadrunner that I Throw with very little power to make it go straight and quite far. If I put just a little arm behind that disc, it will fade out quickly. My main purpose for my roadrunner is jut straight accurate shots.

Latest posts