• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Looking for midrange/approach that works at 60-80% power

Spider - soft champ is easier to range for me between 200-100 differences in power and still maintain both FH and BH lines with a nice little dump and stick instead of gliding past like most straight to understable putters will for me. The rim feels comfy whether going fan grip, power or two-finger FH - it's also my go-to for OH and the occasional get-out-of-shue roller.

It really is a feel thing tho. Find a disc that feels right and your mind/arm will make the adjustments if you are feeling confident in your plastic.

why arent you throwing a putter from that range

but to answer your question try a discraft buzzz

I agree on throwing a putter at that distance. I like the Nova personally. But I disagree on the Buzzz. IMO it's not a great disc to power down. I prefer a Fuse for this. I carry both a Fuse and Buzzz in my bag.

I just got a Comet, so it's new to me and not beat in. Mine is Titanium plastic, and it glides remarkably far with Little power. You will overthrow if you're used to approaching with another disc. Yesterday I tried an anhyzer turn from behind a large tree, 150' from the basket. The line was good and I really thought it was goin in. But, then it was like the whole scale of the shot kept changing, like an optical illusion, while the Comet never started to come to the ground until it hit the trees in the ditch 25' behind the basket. The Comet defies gravity in the last third of flight.

Spider - soft champ is easier to range for me between 200-100 differences in power and still maintain both FH and BH lines with a nice little dump and stick instead of gliding past like most straight to understable putters will for me. The rim feels comfy whether going fan grip, power or two-finger FH - it's also my go-to for OH and the occasional get-out-of-shue roller.

It really is a feel thing tho. Find a disc that feels right and your mind/arm will make the adjustments if you are feeling confident in your plastic.

The Spider is OOP? I am not even sure the Star, last plastic made in is still being produced.

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I've been playing disc golf for many years and just recently started to seriously improve my game. This question concerns one of my weakest areas of disc golf, which is approaching from outside 50 feet to the the next distance I can reliably power down a fairway driver (for me this is champion banshee and probably would put that at approx. 120 ft give or take 10 feet or so. So for me this is about i.e. flat footed shots in the woods or behind trees trying to give myself the best chances on a putt.

I think the more glide the better in this situation (travels further on misthrow). Right now the best thing I've found is the DX shark, which has worked out okay for me, but that is usually due to luck (it doesn't go on the intended line, but still somehow gets me close enough). I switched to a g-star shark to provide more stability at higher speeds(over 80%), but it lost me some of the accuracy within my gap. I've looked at lot within innova molds and one thing I found out is my middle finger can't handle beaded rims without getting irritated.
/QUOTE]

The shark is a great disc, but when it gets chewed up, even "beadless" it irritates the middle finger knuckle. I hate beads. Stay away from the Discraft comet.

I'm with those who say buzzz. It's such a versatile disc, it has no bead, and you can play it low power to full power and get consistency.

Have you ever thrown a mako or mako3? It's kind of an oddly satisfying disc in that it's dead straight

haha yeah hate is a rather strong word; I was commiserating with the OP. I really wanted to like the comet because I could get really nice flights with it, but I have to wear a friction glove or else I get flensed. No disc shreds me like the z comet did.

If I could only have a single midrange disc in my bag, it'd be a C-Line MD. Unless you're really trying to huck it, it holds whatever angle you put it on.

If I could only have a single midrange disc in my bag, it'd be a C-Line MD. Unless you're really trying to huck it, it holds whatever angle you put it on.

Also wanted to add: The Buzzz is an incredible disc, too. Seems like the majority's opinion of what to recommend.

I think something like the MD is a slightly better choice for you because it powers down better. It acts more like a putter at low speeds than a Buzzz does, so it's a little more versatile.

I've said it before: there's no other midrange out there that flies as far and holds lines across a wide power range like a Comet. Throw it soft, it goes far on the line you threw it. Throw it a little harder, and it goes a little farther on the line you threw it. Rinse and repeat.

The shark is a great disc, but when it gets chewed up, even "beadless" it irritates the middle finger knuckle. I hate beads. Stay away from the Discraft comet.

I'm with those who say buzzz. It's such a versatile disc, it has no bead, and you can play it low power to full power and get consistency.

Have you ever thrown a mako or mako3? It's kind of an oddly satisfying disc in that it's dead straight

I bought a Mako3 once. It was the straightest midrange I ever threw even when I didn't want it to go straight. Like I couldn't get it fade when I threw it over 100 ft. I'm sure that is wonderful if you have room in your bag, but it wasn't the workhorse that I wanted it to be.

I've been narrowing down the choices, and right now I have Jawbreaker zone, Tactic, Aviarx3, buzz, or comet but I am leaning heavily towards the jawbreaker zone. I would have bought one already, but I couldn't find it in the weight I wanted so I haven't got it yet

My thoughts are that as I break in the jawbreaker zone, it will give a nice smooth J shape flight. Thinking this over has made me realize how nice it would be to try approach shots with a solidly OS disc. Plus if I ever needed it to go right I can just use FH it :thmbup:

My personal preference in zone plastic is zflx because it doesn't seem to break in. I have a (relatively lightweight) 165 jawbreaker that I don't use because it flies too much like my ringers. What weight are you looking for? I agree with what VictorB says about the comet and that's why I had a whole batch made for a club of new players as their first (only) disc. And it flies like all of its fans say, which means you get a lot of options from that one disc. For example, you can make it fly like a sol, but you can't power up the sol to fly like a comet. But it does have a really sharp bead.

Comet
Meteor
Buzzz
Mako/Mako3
Tursas

These are all midranges that I would try out and see which one you like the feel/flight of. IMO all of them power down very well.

In terms of covering multiple types of shots it really depends on how well you throw them. For some people that may have issue with speed control and release timing it may be tough to keep a Tursas on a hyzer line. But the more you throw it, and get comfortable with it you, will be able to use just about any disc in a variety of ways.

My personal preference in zone plastic is zflx because it doesn't seem to break in. I have a (relatively lightweight) 165 jawbreaker that I don't use because it flies too much like my ringers. What weight are you looking for? I agree with what VictorB says about the comet and that's why I had a whole batch made for a club of new players as their first (only) disc. And it flies like all of its fans say, which means you get a lot of options from that one disc. For example, you can make it fly like a sol, but you can't power up the sol to fly like a comet. But it does have a really sharp bead.

I've heard that the jawbreaker wears in quickly. That is a negative for me. I would get one at 175g. Do you know anything in premium plastic that flies like a jawbreaker zone? The other zone plastics (Zflx/ESP) seem too brick-like and prone to skipping. I prefer it if my mids stick the landing.

These comet recommendations sound real appealing, however I have to pass if there's a bead. I've made that mistake enough in the past to know a bead is not comfortable for my hand :doh: