• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Looking for midrange/approach that works at 60-80% power

Evan27

Bogey Member
Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I've been playing disc golf for many years and just recently started to seriously improve my game. This question concerns one of my weakest areas of disc golf, which is approaching from outside 50 feet to the the next distance I can reliably power down a fairway driver (for me this is champion banshee and probably would put that at approx. 120 ft give or take 10 feet or so. So for me this is about i.e. flat footed shots in the woods or behind trees trying to give myself the best chances on a putt.

I think the more glide the better in this situation (travels further on misthrow). Right now the best thing I've found is the DX shark, which has worked out okay for me, but that is usually due to luck (it doesn't go on the intended line, but still somehow gets me close enough). I switched to a g-star shark to provide more stability at higher speeds(over 80%), but it lost me some of the accuracy within my gap. I've looked at lot within innova molds and one thing I found out is my middle finger can't handle beaded rims without getting irritated.

I have no experience with other manufacturers so I wanted to get some input and also wanted to see if this was a common range that people struggle with.

I struggled with that distance because I'm not too good at low power shots. Upshots shouldn't be forgotten with field work, I take a stack of putters and work that shot to warm up. Here's what I use

Sonic 75% of the time. Soft, glidey upshots. Good for any distance from long putts to 180ft. Straight or turn over. Never in strong winds.
Pig for overstability. Headwinds.
Wizard for when those two don't feel right. Stable. Baby-flexes.

why arent you throwing a putter from that range

I have a small bag that can hold like 5 discs. I don't like throwing my putting putter for approaches and I prefer to have something that doubles for other midrange duties. I know I always could get a bigger bag, but I prefer the flexibility/ease of the smaller bag.

My other discs are:
blizzard destroyer
QOLS
Champ banshee
?????
Electron Pilot

I've found I can shoot par or close to it at many courses with this setup (pending the midrange of course)

I struggled with that distance because I'm not too good at low power shots. Upshots shouldn't be forgotten with field work, I take a stack of putters and work that shot to warm up. Here's what I use

Sonic 75% of the time. Soft, glidey upshots. Good for any distance from long putts to 180ft. Straight or turn over. Never in strong winds.
Pig for overstability. Headwinds.
Wizard for when those two don't feel right. Stable. Baby-flexes.

As I mentioned in the other post, I am expecting the disc to cover a variety of shots in addition to the problem I listed (ideally). The other duties would be shots under 160 ft. for short holes or placement drives. Could the sonic hold that kind of power without turning over?

As I mentioned in the other post, I am expecting the disc to cover a variety of shots in addition to the problem I listed (ideally). The other duties would be shots under 160 ft. for short holes or placement drives. Could the sonic hold that kind of power without turning over?

No idea about a Sonic, but I use my Ion in this way. It's not a mid, but flies nearly as far as one. I throw it basically for anything sub 250'

Gateway element, glidey and straighter than the rest of your bag. It holds the line at lower powered shots. Diamond if you want more stability, platinum if you want less.

For me it's a Swan2 but I'd you need a bit more speed and glide check out a Warship. It's like a glider Buzzz.

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I've been playing disc golf for many years and just recently started to seriously improve my game.

Welcome to the forums!

This question concerns one of my weakest areas of disc golf, which is approaching from outside 50 feet to the the next distance I can reliably power down a fairway driver (for me this is champion banshee and probably would put that at approx. 120 ft give or take 10 feet or so. So for me this is about i.e. flat footed shots in the woods or behind trees trying to give myself the best chances on a putt.

What putter(s) are you using now? When you throw putters, how do they fly? Do they turn over (e.g., turn right for a right-handed backhand throw)?

Perhaps not the answer you want to hear, but the best way to improve in the 50-120' range would be to grab a stack of putters, head to a field, and work on throwing your putters straight and accurately.

With practice, I expect that you will find that putters are your best friend inside 120 feet.

Good luck!

For that short of a distance on a mid, I'd look at a tursas or mako3. If you want something that can handle torque and not flip FH or BH I would look at a K3 Berg but it is not glidey. I would also look at a premium plastic pure since you are already comfortable with it or maybe something like a dart which is so glidey it's almost a mid.

Welcome to the forums!

What putter(s) are you using now? When you throw putters, how do they fly? Do they turn over (e.g., turn right for a right-handed backhand throw)?

Perhaps not the answer you want to hear, but the best way to improve in the 50-120' range would be to grab a stack of putters, head to a field, and work on throwing your putters straight and accurately.

With practice, I expect that you will find that putters are your best friend inside 120 feet.

Good luck!

I've switched putters 3 times since the beginning of this year. I settled on a pilot because it gives me a longer straight before fading unlike the wizard (which fades shortly after leaving my hand).

As far as my grips go I tinkered with it a lot several months ago. There were some configurations that worked okay, but didn't feel natural at all (looking at you, FU grip). However, I ended up reverting back to a modified fan grip using my bottom three fingers and keeping my index finger on the rim after a break from playing. Honestly haven't thought about it since now. But I think part of the problem was being too static and relying on just my wrist and arm. Whereas I'd say I sling it more now with my body.

I'd say I am accurate with a low speed discs (1/2) out to 100 ft. More than that and I have to add height to get it to land accurately. They don't turn over on me as much as they don't fade as much as I expect them too. So I've always preferred something a little faster when approaching. One thing I don't understand is how people can say they throw putters for every shot under 300ft. I am almost assuredly positive if I were to put a power grip on a putter, it'd turn over after 150 ft. Same for lighter weight approach discs that are too understable. The comet sounds like an interesting choice if it is not prone to turning over at higher speeds >75%. Otherwise both the ion and aviar x3 may do exactly what I need it to do.

Does your grip change for different approach discs? Which grip do you use?

Try a Rhyno.

If you feel like you could use a mid for other purposes (besides short up shots) , then pick any stable one. I can't imagine not having at least one mid in the bag. They always come in handy.

I throw my putters with the same grip I putt with. Just a standard putt grip, 3 fingers under the rim, index finger out on the rim. I might be unusual that way, but it works. I grip mids similar. Only different is that my index finger isn't as straight on the rim. Basically, it's that grip and a standard power grip on drivers. That's all I use for now. Always tinkering with stuff though.

YMMV

I've switched putters 3 times since the beginning of this year. I settled on a pilot because it gives me a longer straight before fading unlike the wizard (which fades shortly after leaving my hand).

I have not thrown a Pilot, but the numbers suggest it has a fairly neutral flight. Can you use different angles to get the Pilot to fly different lines (turn right, fly straight, or fade left)? If so, it is probably a good disc to work with.

Wizard should fly straight with a late fade. Unless you have a weird one.

. . . I ended up reverting back to a modified fan grip using my bottom three fingers and keeping my index finger on the rim after a break from playing.

Grip is personal, but I would suggest working with one of the standard grips until you find one that is comfortable for you. Index finger on the rim might be costing you distance.

I'd say I am accurate with a low speed discs (1/2) out to 100 ft. More than that and I have to add height to get it to land accurately.

Nothing wrong with using height to control distance. Unless you need height to keep your putter from turning over.

They don't turn over on me as much as they don't fade as much as I expect them too. So I've always preferred something a little faster when approaching.

Yes putters do straight really well. Your Wizard should give you a nice straight-to-fade flight until it beats up.

One thing I don't understand is how people can say they throw putters for every shot under 300ft. I am almost assuredly positive if I were to put a power grip on a putter, it'd turn over after 150 ft. Same for lighter weight approach discs that are too understable.

I am in no danger of throwing a putter 300', lol, but with clean form you should be able to throw putters and lightweight discs as hard as you can. If putters are turning over on hard throws, that is telling you that there is an opportunity for improvement in your throwing form.

You can always post a video to the technique forum. There are knowledgeable folks there who may be able to offer helpful suggestions.

The comet sounds like an interesting choice if it is not prone to turning over at higher speeds >75%. Otherwise both the ion and aviar x3 may do exactly what I need it to do.

Comets, like putters, need to be thrown cleanly. Otherwise you may find they behave similarly to your putters.

Ion flies pretty similar to a Wizard. I have not tried an AviarX3. Buying new discs is fun, but often does not make us better.

I use a fan grip for soft putter throws (less than 100' or so). For everything else I use three-finger power grip (pinky finger is permanently banged up so I leave it off my grip). But what works for you may be different than what works for me.

Good luck!

If you want an OS disc that will be more OS due to powering to 60%--80% get a Shark in G-Star if you do not like the DX. This mold will be a good option for players that want a midrange that can also be powered up for players to be used in the Driving putter slot and the midrange slot though the mold will have more floating glide then the Shark 3 but same flight path just slower like a putter.

I live throwing putters. But for your request I'd agree with the others that have said Buzzz. If I played a 1 disc round the Buzzz would be the disc. So hopefully it could cover a lot of shots for you, too.