• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for some feedback

michael_c

Par Member
Hello,
I'm looking for some general feed back, possible ways to improve distance. I mainly throw dx teebirds and rocs, recently I added a star leopard to the bag. Teebirds and leopards end up in the 300-320' range and the rocs go about 260-280'.
Thank you in advance,

Also I'm not sure if I uploaded the videos correctly as I'm working off of my tablet.

reach and pull look good. Weight is back a bit, but overall very smooth.
Edit: pull was a little low with the DX teebird.

reach and pull look good. Weight is back a bit, but overall very smooth.
Edit: pull was a little low with the DX teebird.

Thank you for the observations.
I've recently started focusing more attention on my weight transfer, at the end of my drive I'm struggling with my momentum carrying me forward off the end of the tee pad. When I watch videos of some of the pros driving they're just about always balanced over their plant foot, some of them don't even have to set down their left foot right away to maintain balance.
If I were to try to stay balanced on my right foot only at the end of my drive I would be on sitting on the ground 9/10 times. Is it their near perfect weight transfer that allows them to remain balanced so well?
And is it something worth working on to improve my driving?

Thank you for the observations.
I've recently started focusing more attention on my weight transfer, at the end of my drive I'm struggling with my momentum carrying me forward off the end of the tee pad. When I watch videos of some of the pros driving they're just about always balanced over their plant foot, some of them don't even have to set down their left foot right away to maintain balance.
If I were to try to stay balanced on my right foot only at the end of my drive I would be on sitting on the ground 9/10 times. Is it their near perfect weight transfer that allows them to remain balanced so well?
And is it something worth working on to improve my driving?

Yes and no.....but you hit the nail right on the head with where you are losing most of your distance. They maintain that balance because after they plant and pull half way they are completely (or mostly) rotary from that point. The forward motion stops......thus creating more snap and arm speed. When you keep going forward you lose arm speed (when I refer to arm speed I am referring to the point when the disc is about even with your right nipple to release. Think of a towel snapping.......The end in your hand has to stop so the end that snaps can catch up and snap right? If your hand kept moving forward when you tried to snap the towel you wouldn't get it to snap right? Its the same concept with your body more or less......If your are still moving forward at the hit..........well.......you ain't gonna hit.....

This can be an easy/frustrating at times fix.......I would recommend start it from a stand still first.......Then building from there. Also try to get a video of yourself from behind the tee. It looks as if you may be pulling a bit from behind your body instead of straight back. Also you are not loading your hips on those throws.....When you reach back your right butt cheak should be pointed at your target and when you plant you should stagger that plant foot out about 30degrees left. Right now you are stepping straight out and your hips are already open before you even plant

This can be an easy/frustrating at times fix.......I would recommend start it from a stand still first.......Then building from there. Also try to get a video of yourself from behind the tee. It looks as if you may be pulling a bit from behind your body instead of straight back. Also you are not loading your hips on those throws.....When you reach back your right butt cheak should be pointed at your target and when you plant you should stagger that plant foot out about 30degrees left. Right now you are stepping straight out and your hips are already open before you even plant

Thanks for the observations and tips.
I'll put some work in on planting my right foot a little further to the left. Also, I'll try to get a couple videos from behind this weekend.

This may be a dumb question, but when you mention starting with a stand still first are you saying to use the staggered stance from the stand still?

yes.....to get the weight transfer and your reachback/pull through down first........then build

Ok, so I had my girlfriend take some videos of me driving from behind. I put some effort into setting my plant foot further to the left

Not too shabby. Looks like you drop your elbow off plane and are changing the plane of the disc during the throw. Also check your wrist/disc orientation. Keep your elbow up and delay acceleration. You lose your front side bracing/clearing, you should feel the pressure through the insides of your feet/legs through your core. You should also land more on the toes keeping the hips turned back more.

Not too shabby. Looks like you drop your elbow off plane and are changing the plane of the disc during the throw. Also check your wrist/disc orientation. Keep your elbow up and delay acceleration. You lose your front side bracing/clearing, you should feel the pressure through the insides of your feet/legs through your core. You should also land more on the toes keeping the hips turned back more.

Thanks for the observations.
Sounds like I need to focus on keeping my elbow, wrist, and disc on the same plane along with staying on my toes. I've got some practice to get in, unfortunately I've got a tournament this Saturday and Superbowl Sunday of course, so no update videos until the following weekend.
I'm not really sure what you mean when you refer to my front side bracing/clearing, I assume it's related to my poorly timed/executed weight shift?

Thanks for the observations.
Sounds like I need to focus on keeping my elbow, wrist, and disc on the same plane along with staying on my toes. I've got some practice to get in, unfortunately I've got a tournament this Saturday and Superbowl Sunday of course, so no update videos until the following weekend.
I'm not really sure what you mean when you refer to my front side bracing/clearing, I assume it's related to my poorly timed/executed weight shift?
Correct. You aren't fully bracing through the front side of your body and getting your hips to rotate through and clear back to whip the rest. So your current weight transfer is more of a slam forward than a smooth transition. If you watch your finish your hips have too much back to front movement, they should be more stationary/rotary to create more torque. Part of the problem is your balance in the backswing. You do have a good rhythm though.

Hey! Bringing back an old thread from the dead. While playing a few holes with my P&A Aviars I decided to get a few shots on video, then I thought what better place to get some feedback than DGCR :hfive:

I'd like to think I've made some progress since my last post (1/30/2013), but I'll let you guys decide.

WARNING- I filmed the first video vertically.....my bad.

Wow, this was from before I did any vids. Rear foot is too backwards to make a forward move from the instep and lead with your lower body. You are pushing/tipping your upper body over the front leg instead of rotating more centered dynamically inside your front leg posture. You can see your rear leg going up and orbiting around your front hip instead of pivoting or swiveling the hips centered, clearing the front hip back out of the way for the rear hip to come through. See Hogan Power Move above and...

Hey Sidewinder, thank you for the feedback.

The one leg drill was interesting; I'll incorporate it more during fieldwork.

I took some videos of some throws from today, but I'm pretty sure I haven't managed to incorporate any corrections.

For the most part, I focused on bringing/bracing my lower spine to the inside of my front leg; not really sure on the success rate sometimes autopilot took over.

Anyways, here are the videos:

Standstill - your front knee is going past the ankle, so it's not staying dynamically braced inside posture like a skier in a turn or hockey slap shot.

X-step - in addition to above you are moving way too much right to left down the tee pad and causing rounding with your body moving across the path of the disc.