• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking to get a new disc (mid)

Meh, even on a longer course you get to work on your long putts and approach shots which is really rewarding. A 400' hole with a putter is a drive and a 100-150' approach. It feels good to have to earn that par sometimes. =)

I wouldn't play putter only rounds for the whole summer, no, but only on a course where half of the holes are 500+ feet would putter rounds get weary. Our course has 2 holes at 190', 4 between 200-250', 4 between 270-290', 6 between 300-360' and two between 440-450' (some longer teepads coming in this year), and I'd gladly play every other round with just my IONs (maybe throw in the JOKERi if I'm allowed). =)

Now drop your max putter distance to an inconsistent 100': it won't be fun for long, and I expect most of the value will be lost practicing bad form attempting to get more distance and possibly reach the hole in 3.

I guess I can't really say anything to that because I spent about three months in the field with my putter and occasionally my mid (D-P2 and D-MD1 respectively) before heading out to a course. Though I have introduced a couple of people to disc golf by just giving them putters and heading out to the course. They learned pretty quickly and all I had to do was give the occasional pointer. The putter made sure they weren't trying to rip too hard and focused on learning how to throw. After a round or two they were usually up to a pretty reliable 150' feet (the aim was occasionally off but the distance was there).