• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Losing discs trouble

This does not work, i still lose lots of discs.

Works for me.
Only lost one in 10 years, and i knew where it was. Didn't feel like laying face down on blackberry vines to reach far under logs for a dx disc.
Wish i could throw far enough to lose stuff legit!

For context, I have 380-420 feet of power.

Most of my lost discs are not because of distance but from bad circumstances and bad luck. Conversely, most of the discs that I spend forever looking for -and eventually find- are due to distance and misjudging where it landed because of depth perception and or lack of landmarks that I was paying attention to.

I am not going to spend the time to quantify what percentage of my time I spend looking for discs during a solo round, but it is significant and frustrating. I could be spending that time throwing more and or calling it a day before I get in trouble with the family. My discs have the uncanny knack of always finding the perfect hiding spot even though they were not grossly off target.

As for the discs I lose, it is mainly because of bad luck on bad shots that should not have happened.

I am not sure, but should I consider myself blessed that I have only lost three discs this year? I have had worse years, and I have had complete seasons without losing anything.

To make matters worse, of all the discs I have lost this year, all three were being filmed and even the film could not help find them.

C-FD - Decided to power down on a shot I normally attack with a mid. I found the only skinny tree in the middle of the fairway on an otherwise good shot. It kicked left and likely under a thin layer of leaves. We had seven people looking over ten minutes and still could not find this. We are talking at most 150 feet by 40 feet area. The video on the camera had us in the correct area. Note - looking at the footage on a larger screen at home showed that it kicked off a second tree back into the middle of the fairway. Still, how seven people could not find it even in the middle of the fairway was astounding.

Champion Banshee - Played a course with natural tees hours after it rained. The tees were slick mud. This is an island hole with water that is disgusting and waist deep. The prefer shot if you are attacking the island is a forehand dump. The basket is only 220 at the most, so it is not that much of a carry. I slipped up on the mud and early released the Banshee, and even its fade was not enough to get it back onto dry land. It was a non-descript Champ Banshee, so I was not going swimming. Last year on the same hole, I dunked in a 1.3 Frontline-X Mortar, and that I did go swimming for. Hence learning my lesson about that water.

Lucid Enforcer - The right side of the fairway is the drainage pond. Directly ahead is two large trees that shape a decent forehand line, but a forehand fades back onto the water. There is enough growth to keep you from going out over the water with a backhand hyzer dump. There is a swamp on the left, but it is protected enough that unless you fade really hard with a backhand, it should not be an issue. All it does is frame a tunnel. I piped the tunnel with a Meteor, but I wanted to give a forehand a try. The Lucid Enforcer cut way too early and dove into the water. The water is relatively clear, but while it appears to be only knee deep, the sucking mud actually makes it waist deep. I spent ten minutes in the water and still could not find it. The local diver said he would keep an eye out for it.

I purchased a Tobu disc last year and I still use it on holes where I feel I have a good chance of losing a disc. I'm very pleased with it. It's a specially-made disc with an attached module that connects with your smartphone via Bluetooth. You can use the app to locate your disc and even trigger a beep and flashing light on the disc.

In my case, I bought one of their discs, which is essentially an overstable driver. It is designed to have the correct flight pattern with the module attached in a special compartment. They also offered an understable disc. But obviously this is a very limited selection.

When I bought my disc, there was no other option. However, they now sell the tracker module separately so you can attach it to your own discs. I haven't used this, so I can't vouch for how much it affects disc flight.

It's not always ideal using this particular disc on every shot where there's risk of losing one, but it does pretty much eliminate the possibility of losing a disc.

First of all, I carry a relatively small number of discs, usually between 8-10, so it's much easier to do a quick count. I hardly ever throw multiple shots, and the only time that I usually have a problem finding a disc is in the fall when there is a lot of leaves on the ground and a couple of my discs are colored too close to the color of the leaves. Although I have had a couple of instances where I had to work really hard to retrieve a disc that was stuck in a tree, I have only lost two discs. One was a favorite putter that I just simply forgot and left at the park and when I returned to get it, it was gone. The other was also a favorite fairway driver that I lost in the leaves and just never could find it.

For the first dozen years I took disc seriously, I lost an average of 2 discs a year. The last 4 years its been 5-6 discs a year; most of those losses have involved water.

Oh, and usually beer. Maybe recreationals. Old age for sure. :rolleyes:

I have few molds and they are color coded like they are in my signature. I always count after a hole and the color coding helps with quick recognition. only time I lose a disc now is to trees

I throw between 10 and 12 discs at a time when I field throw, and always make sure I know the number of discs, and which molds I am using before I start throwing them. It seems to work. I'm not saying anything else about it because I might curse myself into losing one.

Latest posts