• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Losing discs trouble

I have bags in different sizes so I can carry a fully packed bag every time. If the bag isn't bursting at the seams after I putt out, I go find the lost soldier.

As someone who will throw 2 or 3 shots off a tee, when the course allows, I have a specific order in my bag that keeps me from forgetting a disc, at least when I'm not using my cart. Not inly does it help in preventing lost discs, it also means I can easily find the disc I want to throw.

My order is
speed (slow-fast)
disc name (A-Z)
plastic (A-Z)
color (A-Z)
stamp color (A-Z)
weight (low to high)
condition (beat-fresh)
I rarely use the bottom two, but I have had to use them when I bagged a pair of identical discs.

As everyone said, count your discs after every hole.

When I throw multiple shots, be it from the tee or a fairway, lie, I will take my bag to where the first disc landed (I always take the first shot as the "official" one) and then go pick up the rest before making my next shot -OR- I pick up all the other ones on the way to the disc I'll be making my next throw from. That way, I'm not distracted by my next throw, etc. And then I count the discs again.

I'm kinda stunned at the number of people saying count your discs. I guess I swap in and out waaaay too much, mostly because I may be trying to beat the new off of a backup or try some different discs or trying an old disc on a new line. I"m an absolute chronic multi-driver and I WANT to count the discs I throw from the tee, often just two but sometimes i'm looking for a specific flight or just too see distance I can reach with a different one. From that I am remembering which discs I throw... numbers come into it but because I am looking for a specific flight from the discs I'm throwing I end up focusing on what the disc was.

The best advice I can give as what I did for multiple reasons is just carry less discs. I still swap out per round or for courses and for competitive rounds where I want that ONE disc for that ONE hole or scramble options.
But I bagged down to 7 discs.
The way I eliminated discs was to ask myself first do I throw this disc as my first choice?
then if there is a disc I find I only throw on one hole I ask is there another disc I throw on other holes that could do this job?
Those two questions pared it down a bunch then I just picked what kind of ended up being my most versatile discs or what I could work with. I still take them in and out some but what I found is I don't have any discs that do anything better than what I just threw so no need to throw another.
Putting putter
Approach putter
stable/overstable mid
understable mid
Stable/overstable fairway
stable/understable fairway
that's it. The desire to throw more shots is gone, I feel it is helping a lot of aspects of my game and leaving soldiers behind has almost completely vanished.

maxresdefault-31.jpg

Hire a caddy to worry about that for you or tie a very long string to each disc and tether to your bag.

4995-2.jpg

I've had the same issue over the years.
This backpack helps. If a slot is empty, then I need to start hunting.

I might recommend going back and considering the discs you used for the hole you just finished if losing discs is happening that often. In many cases...drive, approach, and putter. For instance, if you play a long par three and throw a distance driver, midrange, and putter to get your par check If you have those three discs in your bag before leaving the hole.

Counting is a good strategy but it might not be necessary to take inventory at each hole. You can do your counting at holes that are a "point of no return" for the course you're playing. Perhaps it's a big downhill pull or a longer hole that takes you away from the main part of the course but these areas would be good places to take inventory. Perhaps get in the habbit of counting at holes 6, 12, and 18. Find a system and use it. There are no good excuses for leaving one in the fairway!

Develop a noodle arm. If you never throw more than 250 off the tee, you can't lose sight of a disc.

I actually can tell if my bag feels lighter immediately, so I count my discs. This is only an issue if I carry drinks. As I consume them, my bag gets lighter and makes me think I've lost a disc.

Last edited:
Get your eyes checked out too. I've had 20/40 vision forever which is just fine and gets me through the DMV test and life activities/driving in general, but that little extra crispness when I use glasses to play dgolf helps big-time when finding plastic in the thick Michigan shule. They also double as eye protection too so bonus there.

Can't recommend that enough.

I used to lose a lot of discs on solo rounds when I'd throw multiple discs on each drive. It's really easy to forget them. I just don't do that anymore. I either play the course, and only throw one disc, or I do fieldwork and take a count of what's in my bag when I start and make sure I leave with the same.

In the last 6 months, I have lost around 15 discs. It is so aggravating. I have my name and number but no luck. The frustrating thing is that I just seem to forget to pick them up out in the open. It usually occurs when the course is empty so I take an extra shot for practice. This weekend was the last straw, I forgot to pick up my Sexton Firebird and my favorite like new PFN Orc.

So besides not being a Moron, does anyone have some tips or tricks to help me end this insanity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke less weed?? :D Im kidding

So far so good until Friday. Before playing I count the discs and snap a photo of inside the bag. I snap the photo since I carry different discs based on the course I'm playing. I have also started always putting a mini down and picking up the disc right away. I haven't left any since. Friday however, I was on hole 12, when a huge thunderstorm blew in. I was for the first time at a particular course under par. I rushed to try to finish and somehow left one. Good news is there are 2 really nice used disc stores by me, so it was one I picked up in the bargain bin anyway.

Some guy found it and texted me the next day, problem is he lives like 1 hour away. I'll probably end up just telling him to keep it.

When I throw multiple throws, I keep a count that goes something like this: "3 left, 4 in the middle, 1 right". Might be "1 short left, 2 long left", or something. But as I pick them up, I pick them up in those segments.

The advice to carry few discs sort of runs counter to the desire to make multiple throws---if you want to practice a left-turning fairway, and only have 1 or 2 discs to fill that slot in your minimalist bag, the rest don't do much good.

Lost three within 5 days this past week.......... two have been recovered, the third may be in the box at Joralemon.

Pretty unusual streak for me.

Latest posts