• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost Disc Mega Thread: Post your lost disc questions and stories here.

About a year ago I was on my annual Thanksgiving road trip with my dad. The first course we played was Pessimist in Ft Morgan (current HOD reminded me of this story). Hole 17, I attempted the big turnover over the river, it didn't hold the turn, and dropped right on the bank. Now, I damn near needed ropes to keep myself safe and manage to get down to the water - I didn't see my disc right away, but found like 3 others, and then mine. One was a pearl, no name. For about 6 months or so it was Aspen's disc. You can see it here in this video: https://youtu.be/ehOyPj3wBUE?t=200 And that's the last we saw of it for another 5 months. Joey went on to throw it on hole 12/13 (ski slope hole), it turned over into oblivion.

Fast forward to my tournament event, second weekend in November, the Bald Eagle experience. I happened to be on Joey's card during the doubles event out there at Pathway. My partner Mario turned it over into that same oblivion, where we never found Mario's disc, but Aspen's Pearl came back!

3 days later, I left on the same trip with my dad, we didn't play in Ft. Morgan, but we did camp there on our second night. That next morning, Aspen had his pearl, and we forgot it. Exactly one year to the day after I found it in Ft Morgan, I left it a few miles away at the State Park.

Dyed Champ Firestorm

Lost my champ firestorm the other day. Was taking it on a test run on my local course to make sure I liked the disc before I inked it. You know, to see if I wanted to return or keep it. Had it in my bag the whole time, the next day I went into my yard to throw and I couldn't find it anywhere. Sad, sad day because that disc was nice. I want to go back because I think I know where it is, but it may have been found and taken by now.

Lost my champ firestorm the other day. Was taking it on a test run on my local course to make sure I liked the disc before I inked it. You know, to see if I wanted to return or keep it. Had it in my bag the whole time, the next day I went into my yard to throw and I couldn't find it anywhere. Sad, sad day because that disc was nice. I want to go back because I think I know where it is, but it may have been found and taken by now.

The ones that I've unknowingly left behind on the course (or practice field) are the ones that haunt me the most.

My 1st ever ace disc, a reddish Buzzz, was lost-no idea where or when... 5 years after I lost it. I got a text from a guy in Kentucky asking if I lost it... I didn't even recognize the disc... He took a picture of the back, and said that "I was crazy for throwing my 1st ace disc on that hole"... He told me the course, and I had never heard of it, it was in Kentucky (I've never been to Kentucky)!!! I paypaled him the money to send it home, and he sent it back...

Firestorm? Return that and rethink things. Lose it and move on. Firestorm?

I bought a Prodigy F2 in 400 plastic in March 2019. I threw it in a pond less than a week into ownership. Got a text that it was pulled out on January 1st. Got it back in my possession today!

It was not the right disc for me then. Excited to see if I can do something with it now.

Does this count as "lost"? First round, hole 5, with a brand new Innova Mirage. It split evenly into two pieces on a tree kick. I tried posting pics but cant seem to do it.

To start off, I am one of those guys who calls/texts when they find a disc. Yesterday morning a friend and mine were playing an early round at our local course. On one of the holes I found a disc laying in the open field. I checked and it had initials and a phone number. I called thinking he was still on the course. He got back to me quickly and said he lost it yesterday afternoon. He said he was from out of town and appreciated the call and said to keep it. Fast forward to the end of the round. Ran across another group and one asked if we found a disc, same as the description of the one I found. Before I can say anything my friend blurted out that we found it. So I pulled out the disc and asked what his initials were. He said "some guy" gave it to him. I then said that I just texted the owner and he lost it yesterday. The guy had a deer in the headlights look when I said that and started with a lot "ums" and "wells" and tried to stick to his story. I tossed him the disc and told him to enjoy it. I wasn't as upset that he probably found it that day and didn't call the guy but for the fact he out right lied to my face about it. If he have been upfront about it I would have given it to him being the owner didn't want it and I really had no need for it as well. Wasn't sure if this was the norm. Makes me wonder if its worth even putting a number in mine sometimes. I have heard similar stores of low integrity and lying about found discs. SMH.

I have heard similar stores of low integrity and lying about found discs. SMH.

Unfortunately that has been my experience. I stopped putting my number on my discs for this reason. The anger I feel towards these scum bags is not worth a $15 piece of plastic so I have to let the plastic go.

I'd rather have an image in my mind of the fortunate disc golfer who joyously finds my un-inked disc and keeps it, than to think about the lowlife that looks at my number and says F*** him.

Unfortunately that has been my experience. I stopped putting my number on my discs for this reason. The anger I feel towards these scum bags is not worth a $15 piece of plastic so I have to let the plastic go.

I'd rather have an image in my mind of the fortunate disc golfer who joyously finds my un-inked disc and keeps it, than to think about the lowlife that looks at my number and says F*** him.

I think the majority of discs that I've lost that have been inked (and lost in a findable spot) have been returned to me. I also found a fair number of discs that I've returned to owners, or tried to return but had them given to me.

Actually I'm now making a concerted effort to make sure to ink discs before I throw them because I've had such good experiences. It's certainly better than losing an uninked disc, although the local facebook group always has a few threads up trying to find the owners of uninked discs found on local courses.

I think the majority of discs that I've lost that have been inked (and lost in a findable spot) have been returned to me. I also found a fair number of discs that I've returned to owners, or tried to return but had them given to me.

Actually I'm now making a concerted effort to make sure to ink discs before I throw them because I've had such good experiences. It's certainly better than losing an uninked disc, although the local facebook group always has a few threads up trying to find the owners of uninked discs found on local courses.
That's good to hear. I've lost 30 or so discs (all marked) in 8 years and out of those I only got around three calls. Two were gracious but I had already left the course so I told them to keep the disc. One taunted and toyed with me until I blocked his calls.

I have even heard of disc golfers fishing discs out of the return bin that the local retailer provided on the course. I almost feel stupid to have expected more from fellow disc golfers.

If a person will sell their integrity for the price of a disc, I'd hate to think what they would stoop to for real money.

I've gotten several back. I got one back that someone had clearly found and used a lot before losing it. Before that, it had never really crossed my mind that people are finding them and keeping them. If they were easy to find, I'd find them.

...but some people are super aggressive in thinking everyone else has their disc. I've had people in front of me waiting at the end of the course wanting me (and everyone else finishing up) to give them a live ITB because they lost a disc on course. It's like, "Why would the guy behind you not looking for your disc be more likely to find it than a group of 4 people that watched the throw? I hit the gap, pitched up, and tapped in that hole."

...but some people are super aggressive in thinking everyone else has their disc.

I'm glad that your experience is better than what I've seen. I won't be super aggressive when enquiring about a lost disc of mine because it is not worth a confrontation. However I've asked a discing couple as they were leaving if they saw a "______" disc out on the course. They both answered at the same time. Trouble is, he said "yes" and she said "no". LOL It was in his bag and he surrendered it gladly. "She" certainly expected that he would lie though.

Also, don't assume that lost discs are hard to find. Some are forgotten from multiple practice throws when the course is not crowded. I've found putters left in the basket and ran ahead to the group in front of us to reunite them with their owner.

Well, the ones that I've lost so far are super hard to find. :) I guess that is one of the benefits of a small bag.

I'm just kind of fed up with trying to get discs back to people. I'm tired of texting people that I pulled their Wraith out of the pond to have them reply with "Interesting. You are telling me about my stock stamp Wraith, but not my Cloud Breaker that I lost in the same spot."

Got reunited last week with my g-line FD which I lost at Kaposia last fall. Somehow it found a portal and made its way into a pile of lost discs up at Blue Ribbon Pines about 45 minutes away. Remarkable.

I usually text people and offer to leave the disc in a secure spot on the course—someplace near the parking area.

The disc I found recently had one name and number on it marked out and a second name and number on it. I suppose it could have been a gift or trade, but struck me as one that was found by the person that lost it and never returned.

Got reunited last week with my g-line FD which I lost at Kaposia last fall. Somehow it found a portal and made its way into a pile of lost discs up at Blue Ribbon Pines about 45 minutes away. Remarkable.

I lost a CDGC disc a few years ago here in Charlotte. Cussing and hating myself at the time, because it was getting dark, and I knew it would be hard to find, being one of those clear ones with a frosty stamp on it...

At least 6 months later, I got a text from a guy who had found it in Hickory, NC, about an hour away. So obviously, someone had found it here, took it there, and proceeded to lose it, according to this other guy, on Hole #1. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Not only did this gentleman return it to me by mail, he refused to take any kind of payment for it. "Pay it forward, man, that's how we do it." I have always made it a point of pride to do anything possible to get a disc back to its owner, but this guy made it a Moral Imperative.

So there are some happy endings out there. Just the other day, I found an orange Northman at Winget. Sent the guy a text. He replied: "I was there on vacation from CO. Not worth the shipping, so go ahead and keep it." Simple, clean, and easy. Why can't everyone be so inclined?

Lost my Discraft Heat last July or so. Got a text yesterday that it was pulled out of the pond. Same course, different hole. Text was a pic of my muddy wet disc and it looks like it wasn't in there very long.

So the last 3 discs that I've gotten texted on were out of my hands for an average of about 13 months. And 2 of 3 were found at different places than where I lost them.

Lost a disc in a pond recently the 1st time I played a course and got a text 3 days later that someone had pulled it out while looking for their disc. I was at work & couldn't get there until after 5 but they left it with a league that was playing there.

Got the disc & played a round with two of the top players in the league who thoroughly kicked my butt, yet had a good time.