• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost Disc Mega Thread: Post your lost disc questions and stories here.

Actually got a bit of a story...

Local 9 hole course has a pond and the final 3 holes play over and/or next to the pond. It is a windy, open course, so a lot of people put discs in the drink. I've never really been into fishing, but I've discovered that I really enjoy trolling around with a retriever. I love getting discs back and I hope that I can make someone else's day in the same way. And I've learned the right weather conditions for finding discs and it isn't uncommon for me to pull in 2 or 3 discs in a quick session.

The other day, I go to play after work. There are a lot of park users that are frustrating me, so I bail on my round and troll for discs. I find 2 discs. One has a name, no number. One has a number, no name. Put the first one on the local FB lost and found group. Text a pic of the disc to the number on back for the other disc. Person immediately texts back. They thank me, but they also tell me where they lost another disc on course. I reply too many geese around the pond on that hole. They reply back with a dropped pin on google maps on where they lost the other disc.

Totally didn't sit well with me at all.

Sounds like that's about the time you tell him his disc accidentally fell out of your hand and rolled back into pond.

Some people aren't grateful no matter what. I remember my old job, back in my office life, when we would get lunches catered for big events and there would be people moaning about the food choices.

That's funny to me, da noive of some people...

"Hey, since yer out there, would you mind backtracking several holes to find my other one? And while yer at it, how about building a bridge halfway out into the pond...and attach a 100' rope to a metal rake-head and a cleat...Oh, hey! How about...go buy a waterproof drone and run it underwater; my buddy and his girlfriend's cousin's wife lost a Cobra last year..."

People are ridiculous sometimes.

Yeah. It isn't like it is this special skill, either. It isn't like I'm super strong and opening a jar for someone or reaching something on the top shelf at the grocery store.

I touched my phone a couple of times, a number on an account associated with me changed by 20, and then I found a couple of pieces of metal and some thin rope in my mailbox. And I stand at the end of the water and hold the rope while repeatedly throwing the metal in the water.

Actually got a bit of a story...

Local 9 hole course has a pond and the final 3 holes play over and/or next to the pond. It is a windy, open course, so a lot of people put discs in the drink. I've never really been into fishing, but I've discovered that I really enjoy trolling around with a retriever. I love getting discs back and I hope that I can make someone else's day in the same way. And I've learned the right weather conditions for finding discs and it isn't uncommon for me to pull in 2 or 3 discs in a quick session.

The other day, I go to play after work. There are a lot of park users that are frustrating me, so I bail on my round and troll for discs. I find 2 discs. One has a name, no number. One has a number, no name. Put the first one on the local FB lost and found group. Text a pic of the disc to the number on back for the other disc. Person immediately texts back. They thank me, but they also tell me where they lost another disc on course. I reply too many geese around the pond on that hole. They reply back with a dropped pin on google maps on where they lost the other disc.

Totally didn't sit well with me at all.

I would have said just in case you do find this disc someday when looking for your own, after giving all that info to help with location of other disc.

There is a local lost and found FB group. I've been finding and posting up a lot of stuff and when you post a disc, I've found that several people will message you and ask you if you found a specific disc. It feels accusatory. If I find it and there isn't a number, I post it. If I find it and text a number and don't get a text back in the time it takes me to get home from the course, I post it.

I would have said just in case you do find this disc someday when looking for your own, after giving all that info to help with location of other disc.

Not sure there is a scenario that involves someone giving me a map of a disc they want back that would sit well with me.

There is a local lost and found FB group. I've been finding and posting up a lot of stuff and when you post a disc, I've found that several people will message you and ask you if you found a specific disc. It feels accusatory. If I find it and there isn't a number, I post it. If I find it and text a number and don't get a text back in the time it takes me to get home from the course, I post it.

Not sure there is a scenario that involves someone giving me a map of a disc they want back that would sit well with me.

I would state, by no means find disc now, rather this is where it is should you loose a disc in same area and only if you find ___disc, especially if the ink has faded bad and can't read it all.

But in actuality I would just say I lost __disc in this part of the course should you happen to find it before me.

I would state, by no means find disc now, rather this is where it is should you loose a disc in same area and only if you find ___disc, especially if the ink has faded bad and can't read it all.

But in actuality I would just say I lost __disc in this part of the course should you happen to find it before me.

If I'm not going out of my way to look for it, I don't really need to know where it was lost. I'll figure that part out if I find it.

My poison is at Munden Point No. 8 Par 4 ranging from 370 feet to 613 feet. It's a peninsula hole on the North Landing River lined with trees and a down slope the first 1/3rd down, sharing the fairway with No. 9 Par 3 ranging 248 feet to 392 feet. It's a postcard scene. There are cross winds and there can be swirling winds, if the rest of the course has calm winds, on the peninsula its going to be moderate etc. On strong wind days, I've seen players skip these two holes, I'm too stubborn.
1. I've lost more discs on this stretch than all the courses combined I've played. At least 15 discs, some for score, some throwaways trying to find out what works for a safe shot. I've only lost one other disc on the course, no. 6.
2. Several months ago I watched a 4some on no. 9 short tee pad, its a dog leg left around the river. 2 threw it left in the river, 1 threw it right into the river, jumped in and found his disc, throws his approach into the river on the right, jumps in not finding his disc. I was at least far enough away on no. 8 short tee pad where I can laugh. They waived me thru.
3. No. 8 is a straight away hole. This past Memorial day I lost my first disc a Valkarie on a rollers, the shared fairway is about 100 feet wide, and have lost about 3 on rollers. Because of the swirling winds I've had discs take uncharacteristic flight pattern into the river.
4. About a month ago in one week I lost my go to driver a Mamba star lite 166g when I had a late release and a seldom power throw into the wind, and left into the river at least 30 feet (LHBH). Never should of gone that far, I was dumbfounded. On my next visit I lost my beloved Roc3 Green Bubble 170g attacking no. 8 long basket on the edge of the peninsula. I checked the wind which was light expecting my fade, all of a sudden the wind picked up and it drew right on me, right into the water. Dumbest decision I've made with a favorite disc. Felt like crying both times.
5. No. 8 several months ago I threw a Valkarie Pro 170g into the river right in a spot with a tangle of roots during high tide. I was certain the disc was lodged, but no way to know for sure. I check low tide which was the next morning and decided to go back and play my usual two rounds. Sure enough their it was, only had to take a few steps to get it.
6. I only was able to keep a Sidewinder for 4 days and getting to like it. Yep, lost on no. 8 when it took an unusual flight pattern, it was the first time I saw it fade, and the last time.
7. No. 9 long tee is the toughest I've played anywhere. There's a wall of trees starting about 40 feet in front of you, about 25 feet in height, then break right parallel with the fairway. Either go up and over or hit the 50 foot gap in the trees about 50 feet down over the river. Its perfect for a sharp LHBH hyzer and I've only lost a throw away. If I was RHBH, you could add another 15 discs.

Most recently 2 days ago Waller Mill in Williamsburg, Va early released an Aviar3 right into the lake on no.9, it looked good going in. No. 7 my Star Mirage roller on me downhill right into the stream in the middle of what looked like calf deep muck. I left it there.

Since I got serious about my discing 10 years ago, I've probably picked up around 900 to 1000 discs. In that same time span, I've probably lost over 300 discs (side note: only gotten back about 10% or less of those).

Yesterday was the quickest I've ever lost a disc. From the moment I opened up the box (from the Disc Baron), and got to the course about an hour later, on the very first throw off the tee, ricochet off a tree into the nasty, mucky pond on the other side of a row of trees. I think I had the disc in my physical possession for about 90 minutes. Oh well, guess that disc & I were not meant to be together.

They are just toys after all & it's just another sale for the Disc Baron.:)

(side note: only gotten back about 10% or less of those).

I've probably gotten less than 2% call backs on lost discs (and even some attempts at deception when I asked the only other people on the course about left behind discs that I knew they had to have seen).

To keep from thinking ill of my fellow disc golfers, I just stopped putting my number on discs a few years ago. I'd rather think about the joy on their face at finding un-inked plastic than imagine them looking at my number and email address and sayin "F*** him".

Sorry for the rant, but it's been a long time coming.

I've played about 3 years. I haven't counted how many that I've lost --- maybe 20. I've gotten about 10 of them back. I've found about 30 discs. Right now, I'm holding about 9 discs that haven't been claimed.

What is wild to me is that I've pulled 15 discs out of the local pond since I got my retriever 2 months ago and only 4 have been marked.

Hole 10 Watson Lake, Prescott Arizona. Normally a right to left wind heading to the lake.

That hole has it in for me. I'm a RHFH thrower, I know the line I need, but every so often....that wind catches my disc just wrong, the disc becomes a kite, and it's on its way to the lake. Most times it ends up short and recoverable....but, then there are the other times. A Witness, a Sidewinder, and recently an Escape....all resting on the bottom of the lake somewhere (not too far from the edge....but not easily recoverable).

Lost a first run McZone yesterday. Bad shot that landed 60' short of the basket, then I threw a few more and forgot to grab the Zone. That feeling when I just randomly remembered 2 hours later at home, then ran out to check my bag and it wasn't there...:doh:

I would've gone back but it was out in the open at a busy course, no point. Kept checking my phone for texts but I know it's gone.

An almost lost disc story for me and a lost disc story for someone else...

A while back, I was out on course. I've got a wide open 200-225'ish foot approach shot. I grab my favorite Roc (yellow DX, stock stamp) and push something out to the right of the target. It flies straight as an arrow and fades just past the basket, landing about 10 to 15 feet away. Basically, the shot that I visualize when I think about playing disc golf.

This older guy, who had finished playing earlier, was walking by the hole and stopped to watch my shot. He is maybe 50 feet from where it lands, so we are about 275 to 300 feet apart. He yells at me. "Hey is that a Roc?" I yell back that it is, thinking the we are going to share a Roc moment together. Nope. This old guy walks over and grabs my disc off the ground and starts to walk off.

I start yelling and chase him down, asking what he is doing. He says that his yellow Roc fell out of his bag earlier. I tell him that it is mine and it is inked. He flips the disc over and of course his fingers are covering my info. At this point, we are both tugging on the disc. He lets go and tells me to enjoy my Roc.

Lost one of my favorite discs today. 1st time I played a true water carry. 260' hole, probably 200' water carry. Easy! Decided to club up just to make sure I made it. Must have been in my head too much yet. Shanked the drive and knicked a small tree branch just out from the tee. Sent the disc almost straight up into the air. 100' out into the water. Seriously was about to go swimming. But it's 35 degrees in WI this morning.

So. Rip my beloved beat in proton insanity. You were my second longest tenured disc in my bag, and a real game changer for my game early on. You will be missed!

I threw a disc in the water yesterday. Broke out my golden retriever to try to recover it. It is a really tough spot to even throw a retriever into the water, so people typically don't fish discs there. I don't get mine back, but I pull in 4 discs in a couple of minutes. I also see a disc that floated up to shore. It is a DX Dragon.

Number on back, so I text it. Guy tells me that he lost that disc 15 years ago (sure enough it is PFN).

Oh dang! So I moved from the Prescott AZ area (5200ish feet) to Scottsdale (100ish feet). Not good enough, knowledgeable enough to know that my discs wouldn't fly the same. In Prescott, I used mainly understable discs (ie. Sidewinder 9/5/-3/1). Played a round at Vista and lost 5 discs in the water - in ONE round (four others also ended up in the water, but I got them back right away). Then I got the knowledge about discs being more understable at lower altitudes. I think I'm going to have to switch up to more stable or even overstable discs. And hope that my lost discs find their way to Spinners On The Green's Lost and Found so I can get them back.

Follow-up....I played Vista again, but this time with stable/overstable discs. Only had ONE go in the water and that was because I got it too much nose up. Hard to believe that the elevation affects stability that much...but it appears to do that. Now I need to have a set for 'sea-level' and one for higher altitude.

Follow-up....I played Vista again, but this time with stable/overstable discs. Only had ONE go in the water and that was because I got it too much nose up. Hard to believe that the elevation affects stability that much...but it appears to do that. Now I need to have a set for 'sea-level' and one for higher altitude.

I wonder if people go in those lakes and retrieve discs. There has to be thousands of discs at that course in the water....

There are folks that 'rake' the lakes (really ponds). Some turn discs into Spinners, but they only offer store credit...others turn them in to Play-It-Again Sports since they can get cash there. PIAS doesn't call anyone about lost discs showing up, which is a shame. I asked them it they would start the policy - call the owner, tell them they have 7 days to claim the disc at the sell price, and if it isn't claimed in 7 days it will be put up for sale to the public. Some discs I wouldn't mind paying the 'sell price' just to get it back. But they said no. My fingers are crossed they show up at Spinners and not PIAS. Spinners has a Lost and Found webpage so you can see if they have your disc and, if they do, get it back from them.

There are people that wade in the ponds and get discs, but they are taking a couple of chances...one, it is illegal and they can be fined for doing it; secondly, the water isn't clean and I've heard of people getting infections from going in the water with cuts (always....I know someone it happened to. So I'm not sure how much it's true).