• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Mantis vs. Stag/Saint Pro

throwfromthewoods

Double Eagle Member
So, I love the flight of the Mantis Ace Race disc. It's been bagged since I got it. What I don't love is the plastic. It's like Discraft put out a cheaper Titanium blend to lower costs for the Ace Race. A couple scuffs and dings later and it looks like I threw it all summer.

As you can tell from my signature, I throw mostly Trilogy discs. So I was thinking of grabbing an Opto Saint Pro or VIP Stag to try and switch into the spot in my bag that the Mantis is currently occupying. I'm wondering if anyone has experience throwing these discs and could chime in on which of the two are most like the flight of the Mantis out of the box. Or a speed 7/8 I'm not considering that has a similar flight.

Thanks!

The Saint Pro will probably throw the most like it, I think. Just a slight turn when getting it out to 350' or so with a max weight Saint pro. I'm guessing if you got one in a lower weight (like the ace race mantis) it would fly very similarly.

Never thrown a Mantis, waiting for them to go into production because it looks like an awesome disc.

As for Stags, I throw a Tournament plastic 172 g pretty often and love it. A very straight disc but not as quite as over stable as they advertise it. Especially more so since I don't have a strong arm since I am still pretty new, it could actually be flipped with enough power, I'd assume

For me the Mantis was a glideless turd, as has been the case with every Titanium disc I have ever owned or thrown. I am interested in how it will fly in FLX, Z, and X though. Could be a neat disc. I just never could throw it correctly because of my pure hatred for the TI plastic.

The Saint Pro is a very glidey slightly overstable disc. Similar to some of the old flat CAL tooled TeeBirds I used to have. It is a bit longer than a TeeBird, but not by much.

I would recommend trying out either the Opto or Gold Line. Both are great. For me the Opto was a bit straighter. The Gold Line was a bit more stable. I deflashed both of them.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you want to replace the mantis. Cause it has some scuffs on it? If you like how it flies just keep throwing it and to hell with how it looks. Pretty discs don't save strokes.

My experience is the opto Saint Pro is more like the Mantis. The Stags I've thrown aren't as HSS as either the Mantis or opto Saint Pro. The GL Pro I have has less HSS & LSS than my opto. One other note, the Stag gets more distance for me.

To be fair (and confuse the matter), some people say the Ace Race disc is more like an Eagle than a TBird; if that's your experience, then go with a GL Pro or Stag.

Last edited:
I have never thrown that discraft disc, but
For me the Stag = Eagle
And the Saint Pro = longer Teebird

I have never thrown that discraft disc, but
For me the Stag = Eagle
And the Saint Pro = longer Teebird

The only disc that is a longer Teebird is handing over your Teebird to Wiggins Jr and watching him throw it.

As for Stags, I throw a Tournament plastic 172 g pretty often and love it. A very straight disc but not as quite as over stable as they advertise it. Especially more so since I don't have a strong arm since I am still pretty new, it could actually be flipped with enough power, I'd assume

My experience is the opto Saint Pro is more like the Mantis. The Stags I've thrown aren't as HSS as either the Mantis or opto Saint Pro. The GL Pro I have has less HSS & LSS than my opto. One other note, the Stag gets more distance for me.

This has been my experience with the Stag as well. I have a 174 TP, and it will flip in wind or with oat. Great flyer though. I'm taking delivery on a VIP Stag, and hope for a bit more stability. The Mantis is more HSS and has more consistent fade in my experience, and I've only thrown them in lighter weights. I've never thrown one, but I imagine the Saint Pro would be the most OS of the lot though.

I was just scrolling thru latitude and westside models for a firebirdesque speed 7-9 and they really dont have anything to fill that void. The closest seems to be a XXX but a bit slower and too overstable in my opinion. I have thrown all 3 discs mentioned and like them all but they all start to lose their stability after a month or so then I question throwing one when I feel the slightest breeze.
Hoping Latitude will come out with a speed 8 firebird with swedish glide or a Pro Striker would be awesome. The Pro Saint was close but I already see signs of flippyness when theres a slight breeze.

I was just scrolling thru latitude and westside models for a firebirdesque speed 7-9 and they really dont have anything to fill that void. The closest seems to be a XXX but a bit slower and too overstable in my opinion. I have thrown all 3 discs mentioned and like them all but they all start to lose their stability after a month or so then I question throwing one when I feel the slightest breeze.
Hoping Latitude will come out with a speed 8 firebird with swedish glide or a Pro Striker would be awesome. The Pro Saint was close but I already see signs of flippyness when theres a slight breeze.

i know just what your lookin for..its called a firebird

I throw tridents for what you are looking for. Probably not quite the same lines but I love them.

I have one of the ace race discs and don't get the same flight as people are saying in this thread. Mine has a little turn and only a little fade, somewhere inbetween a teebird and tl. My fairways are pretty settled though, I only threw the one because I found it on the course.

New firebirds aren't garbage sounds like a personal problem.

the only argument i can see with that the new ones being garbage is not being able to get that much distance with the champs because there stupid OS. but as a utility disc with many different purposes there worth having around. some rounds i dont throw it at all. but the rounds when i need it im extremely thankful i have it. i dont think there garbage

i throw star fb though. i have two and they fly the same. i can get more d with star than champs. works perfect for me.

Last edited:
New fbirds are garbage and I want nice grippy swedish plastic. Don't like domey discs.

Grab an opto trident. Totally awesome plastic, and in my experience they are quite a bit less stable than XXXs. For me the XXX is a true utility/heinous headwind disc because without wind it fades HARD right out of my hand.

The trident, on the other hand, is definitely overstable, but workable. I can throw it hard and flat and it will hold flat for a while before it fades really hard. The trident is a fantastic disc.

I already have an opto trident, thats my "utility" disc hence why I have no need for a new flight # fbird. Both of those discs are too stable to hit 350-400ft. I think Im going to try out the Respecti or even the wolverine.