• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Massive Grip A Series Price Drop

so the only thing left for you to do was get an identical bag to the bag you already have because it was only almost $200?

The flagship product was launched in black... who wouldn't be cautious with ordering into color inventory? That's what it looks like to me. Several colors have been sold out a while, lotsa da neutrals, bada bing bada sale.

Right, so that means they ordered cautious on the untested colors and had enough. They ordered what they thought was a good inventory for the black and black/grey and have had to push, beg, and ultimately drop the price $76 to move the inventory they've been sitting on. They tried a $222 sale a month ago and obviously didn't move enough.

All that shows me is Grip hasn't quite gotten the market mentality pinned down. $200 L-series = best selling backpack to date. Neat new colors for $252 = sign me up. $252 for mostly the same bag that was $200 a couple months ago = no surprise they sat on a bunch. The fact that they have to push them for cheaper than the L-series was is very telling.

That's not me trying to tell Grip what to do. They don't need any help making money. Just still a bit bitter about the biggest backpack announcement in disc golf being essentially, "pay 25% more for screen printing and an angled frame."

Last edited:
The way I justified it to myself, was that 176 after shipping and tax means that I'm actually paying a bit less for the bag. I know some ppl think 176 is still a lot and they would've rather payed 130 or 140something, but if you did get a bag for that, there would still be tax and there would still be shipping (if you get it online).

I just consider it a 140 dollar bag plus shipping and tax.

I bought a Black bag Thursday night. Now I am thinking that I should have got the Black/Gray. So tempted just to buy another and see which one I like the best.

I bought a Black bag Thursday night. Now I am thinking that I should have got the Black/Gray. So tempted just to buy another and see which one I like the best.

The only thing that kept me from getting the gray/black combo rather than the all black was that it was light gray. I worried it would get dirtier/muddier over time and then get a brow ring/stain on it. The black would always remain sharp unless constantly exposed to sun. Just my 2 cents. :\

All that shows me is Grip hasn't quite gotten the market mentality pinned down. $200 L-series = best selling backpack to date. Neat new colors for $252 = sign me up. $252 for mostly the same bag that was $200 a couple months ago = no surprise they sat on a bunch. The fact that they have to push them for cheaper than the L-series was is very telling.

it's a black Friday sale, not a cry for help.

it's a black Friday sale, not a cry for help.

Ha, no? The Facebook posting about the colors being sold out and a ton of black and black/grey still available is a plug. A sale for $222 is a push. If dropping the price 30% (and probably half of their profit margin), plus they've never had a Black Friday sale after 3 years, isn't a cry for help; I don't know what is in the business world.

I'm not here trying to blast Grip. They make money. They are still (as far as I'm aware) the top in backpack volume sales. I'm just saying it seems obvious to me that they bit off more than they expected their customer base to swallow. The Black Friday sale is just a convenient framing opportunity to move the inventory they haven't been able to sell using their standard methods.

Hell, that's all WalMart does on Black Friday. Sell their junky and outdated electronics at stupid low prices to make room for the next wave of stuff.

Ordered mine from Grip Thursday morning, was waiting here for me when I got home today. Just awesome, thanks very much to the OP.

Ha, no? The Facebook posting about the colors being sold out and a ton of black and black/grey still available is a plug. A sale for $222 is a push. If dropping the price 30% (and probably half of their profit margin), plus they've never had a Black Friday sale after 3 years, isn't a cry for help; I don't know what is in the business world.

grip is raking it in right now. voodoo is doing 25 percent off, and salient is about to come out with a bag to compete for the same customers, so they did an even better sale to keep the money headed their way. I am pretty sure that the 250 dollar price was set high for the introduction of the model, and the 222 price would be considered more standard. they surely had some overstock, but they could just as easily hold on to it until their next planned release. grip is not hurting, they would've gotten their money either way, but now they have salient and voodoo's too.

That's not me trying to tell Grip what to do. They don't need any help making money. Just still a bit bitter about the biggest backpack announcement in disc golf being essentially, "pay 25% more for screen printing and an angled frame."

I don't know about anyone else, buy my A Series is just as tippy as my L series ever was. It's way sexier, but can still be tippy.

Ordered mine from Grip Thursday morning, was waiting here for me when I got home today. Just awesome, thanks very much to the OP.

:hfive:

It's a great bag. Enjoy the hell out of it.

grip is not hurting, they would've gotten their money either way, but now they have salient and voodoo's too.

Ding ding ding ding!

Don't know if this sale is a signal that Grip is in trouble, or just have extra inventory. I already have a Voodoo Karma as it is, and I had no plans to buy a new bag at all for a while. Then this sale popped up... and I now have a new Grip bag on the way. $176 that wasn't gonna get spent on a bag (let alone on disc golf in general) just did. Seems their plan worked whatever the motive was.

Yeah I'd agree that whatever grips "situation" is, I'll bet they sold the sh*t out of some bags and swiped a boatload of potential customers.

I don't know about anyone else, buy my A Series is just as tippy as my L series ever was. It's way sexier, but can still be tippy.

Well, of course. It's just a gimmick. If you angle something, it will handle a hill or slope better in one direction but will be worse than a straight up bag if you turn it the other direction.

You always had to pay attention to what way you sat your L-series down. But you have to watch even closer with the A-series.