• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Matrix

Tensor is not utility beefy.

Certainly not. It has solid HSS while the amount of fade varies depending on power. Tensor was kinda the star of my personal record setting round at the local course this Sunday: last hole was just shy of 360ft downhill with quite narrow fairway which meant trouble with too much fade. Managed to throw pretty hard straight at the basket and the tensor just cruised arrow-straight 15ft short of the basket (was able to sink the put too despite being nervous :D)

The matrix I was able to source (orange 175g) has already lost a bit of its HSS. I think others have made same observations? I like the disc, but keeping the Tensor is necessary. The vectors I have are more overstable than this board flat matrix.

Can anyone that has thrown both domey and flat matrixes (matrices :confused:) tell if there is a noticeable difference in stability? I'm about to order a domey one hoping for more HSS and fade (which I find pretty minimal above 320ft). I can already turn it a little at full power. First thought it was a form issue, but similar throw with an axis went 340ft (full power).

^My flat one from the Circuit seems to be drifting R, i.e. losing some of it's HSS as you say. It's looking like, for me, based on its flight and distance potential, that it will fill the role of a mostly stable FW, like it's a Crave killer?

I don't know, I need more time with it, and more seasoning on it, to know for sure.

^My flat one from the Circuit seems to be drifting R, i.e. losing some of it's HSS as you say. It's looking like, for me, based on its flight and distance potential, that it will fill the role of a mostly stable FW, like it's a Crave killer?

I don't know, I need more time with it, and more seasoning on it, to know for sure.

Now there's a thought! I've been bagging a 168 P crave which usually sees action when I need to reach 330-350ft with straight flight and relatively low ceiling. My flat matrix might be able to pull that off given enough height. Or why not hyzerflip a relay or some of the more understable 20mm class and drop the crave?

All this rambling has been about matrix stirring up my concept of mids vs FWs. Man, it used to be a lot simpler to choose from MVP's mids a few years ago:D IMO matrix is somewhere between vector and axis, which forces me to make some drastic choices. More testing needed.

It's starting to sound like a longer Alias. While I love my Alias, I want something with a little more fade to compliment my Theory. Lately, every time I throw my Alias where I want some fade, it goes about as straight as my Theory and I end up wishing I threw my Envy instead.

Now there's a thought! I've been bagging a 168 P crave which usually sees action when I need to reach 330-350ft with straight flight and relatively low ceiling. My flat matrix might be able to pull that off given enough height. Or why not hyzerflip a relay or some of the more understable 20mm class and drop the crave?

All this rambling has been about matrix stirring up my concept of mids vs FWs. Man, it used to be a lot simpler to choose from MVP's mids a few years ago:D IMO matrix is somewhere between vector and axis, which forces me to make some drastic choices. More testing needed.

Same here. I just don't love the Crave. It's been in and out of my regular bag a couple of times, since there's nothing quite like it in the line-up. I can't throw the Matrix quite as far, but I get more consistent line from it.

It's starting to sound like a longer Alias. While I love my Alias, I want something with a little more fade to compliment my Theory. Lately, every time I throw my Alias where I want some fade, it goes about as straight as my Theory and I end up wishing I threw my Envy instead.

The Matrix does fade some, mine still doesn't finish dead straight, but it's pretty muted fade @ 300'. You may have room for both (Alias and Matrix.) I never liked the Alias, so only threw it for a few weeks when they released, but iir it c, you'll find the Matrix to be noticeably faster, and possible longer, than it.

So what is going to happen to matrix? Is the later production run going to be overstable as it was described? or do it stay this way? Reminds me about the first run shock episode. I don't dare to buy one, before i know its going to stay way or another. I tested it from a friend of mine. It was quite nice disc. As competitive player i want to know, if i can buy same disc later on. Discs i bag must be replaceable. Now it's not even near the slot it was meant to be.

So what is going to happen to matrix? Is the later production run going to be overstable as it was described? or do it stay this way? Reminds me about the first run shock episode. I don't dare to buy one, before i know its going to stay way or another. I tested it from a friend of mine. It was quite nice disc. As competitive player i want to know, if i can buy same disc later on. Discs i bag must be replaceable. Now it's not even near the slot it was meant to be.
It didn't come out flying quite as overstable as they'd expected from the design itself, so that took some walking back of the marketing for sure, but it's still a matter of 0.5-0.75 of a standard stability tick in difference, it was never THE meathook even if it was planned as the current lineup's most overstable mid. It was designed after the other two models in the context of this Circuit trio, if that hints at all to the degree of relatively overstable vs broadly overstable. But it's not like the FR Shock where some legitimate production vulnerabilities were identified and fixed. Pretty often when a disc is actually produced it ends up having some features you didn't really expect... and therein lies the problem with this type of event where you've gotta begin its marketing well in advance of full production.

Since it's a new core we can assume it'd be used again. And for every production Fairway/Distance class they're using one stable-overstable core and one stable-understable core, with shoulders and bevels that will fit a range of noses to finish off the stability increments. So I'm hoping, as a fan of Chad molds, that he'll take the Matrix core and build a beefier nose for another model. I'm not sure if that core would lead us right up to the Gates of Beef, Home of Drone, Guarded by Gators... but I think the core could accommodate a more evil nose.

If it flies 5-4-0-3 like a beadless Wasp/Vector and is released in Neutron I am going to buy up some Matrix. A little bummed to see some people reporting that it wasn't as stable as all that.

^ Good info, Zam. It is not as OS as the Tensor, or even Vector, so an "evil nose" sounds great. The current version of the Matrix might be their most loved mid though, in the long run.

Sailer, I'd put it's numbers at 5/5/0/1.5. It's all about HSS, not LSS.

Last edited:
Sailer, I'd put it's numbers at 5/5/0/1.5. It's all about HSS, not LSS.

:wall:

Those are the #'s I'd give my max weight Glo Buzzz. I'm going to pick up an M1 soon enough and see if that fits what I'm looking for.

You can definitely bag all three. As mentioned, the Matrix will hold straighter, longer, like the Envy.

Unless you happen to get a truly OS Matrix, there's a slot for it next to a Vector. Finished with a neutral/US mid of choice and you're good to go on the midrange selection.

Both Matrices I've had were like -0,25 HSS and faded clearly less and later than my seasoned Vector. Not much difference in distance though. I still carry a Matrix between Vector & Axis but that's because I'm hoarding discs in my bag.

I just cant really see where id throw the matrix. Bagged one for a few rounds but i dont really have a need with ion/proxy/tangent/vector. Mine was flatter and sorta OS..i guess? Reminded me a lot more of a flatter seasoned vector vs domey fresh ones.

I just cant really see where id throw the matrix. Bagged one for a few rounds but i dont really have a need with ion/proxy/tangent/vector. Mine was flatter and sorta OS..i guess? Reminded me a lot more of a flatter seasoned vector vs domey fresh ones.

My first Matrix was flat and initially flew very similar to my flat(ish) seasoned Vector as you say. I was just about to kick the Vector out (at least for a while) when the Matrix began turning at full rips and headwind. Quite Z-Buzzzesque.

Based on my sample size and experience, I'd say the Matrix doesn't excel at anything, but is more like a Jack of all trades - i.e. a great Circuit disc.

I'd like to see what the OS version will be like.

Last edited:
Yeah that was the part that F'd with me. Few throws into headwind which it was super straight. It seemed to get knocked around more on crosswind too where it might turn or fade more vs expected.

If i never had thrown any other MVP mids/putters b4 i think the matrix would fit better in my bag. My ion/proxy are basically putter/mid/driver molds for me though..

do.so.much.work.

Last edited:
I guess I just got a more OS Matrix. Mine is similar to my Verdict. Granted, I don't throw it enough to really beat it up much.