• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Medium Wizards No Longer PDGA Legal?

I was just wondering that too. If gateway medium is too stiff then nearly every KC Pro Roc and Aviar should be as well. A max weight KC Pro can be harder than gateway medium. Maybe stiff KC's will be dinosaurs soon, too.

On a side note, all I've ever seen from Gateway is medium down to SSS or RFF. I wonder if they ever hard a firm. A firm Wizard would be a flying brick for sure.

They did make firm Wizards a long time ago. They were like porcelain plates.

Is there an advantage to a stiff disc as ooposed to a softer model? Sorry for the noob question, but I am curious. And if so, why do companies such as MVP make some discs so soft?

A serious answer would be helpful, thanks

Like Grunge alluded to, if I recall, it's a safety thing. Discs have to withstand a certain amount of tension and flexibility. Otherwise the PDGA feels there is a risk of shattering against a tree or other hard surface and that can cause flying shrapnel.

Basically, a disc needs to taco rather than shatter.

This might be a duh thing, but what about mediums of the other three putters: Voodoos, Warlocks, and Magics?

how is something too stiff to be legal when the mold itself is legal. Seems to me like the mold as a whole would be illegal. Instead the plastic itself being illegal...

Dang, so are all mediums going away? If so, I better go grab me some Wizards.

I never knew firm Wizards existed or I'd be throwing them. Ef you Kansas City wind!

Eff this! I have two medium magics on the way I was going to use as my main putters. Shrapnel? Really!? These things aren't grenades. :wall:

Id assume my ultra stiff 290g wizard would be illegal then :(. Luckily i use challengers and you couldnt buy hard ones if you wanted to so im good(WHICH SUCKS!).

Last edited:
In a way, it's cool to see that a manufacturer other than Innova will have some collectable value now.

My wife uses a medium lightweight Magic. It's fine for her, but I know I wouldn't want to throw it into a tree at full speed.

why would the need a new/separate mold for mediums? isn't the stiffness determined by the plastic blend? and would people still buy them if they weren't pdga approved?

whatever happened to the driver they released a few years back that wasn't legal?

edit: and who ratted them out?

Who really stands by trees in the line of fire, anyway? I figure if you're standing close enough to a tree to potentially get hurt by "shrapnel" of a shattering disc, you are also in position to possibly get an even worse injury from a direct hit.

Yep, PDGA is starting to crack down on stiff discs now. I'm glad I still have a box full of G9i's - I figured I might as well get myself a healthy supply while they were available.

So, are G9i and Mediums that don't pass the test actually legal for tournament play, then?

I would say "no," but I apply a fairly strict understanding of the rules to myself... And to be clear, I'm not asking if people will still play them because "it's not hurting anyone" or "there's no real advantage" - I'm asking if they're technically illegal.

I would say "no" for the same reasons that a Wizard that weighs 175g is illegal.

Chuck? What do you say?

P.S. I think the flex test has more to do with someone (or someone's window or car or something) being hit with a disc than a disc shattering on a tree.

Last edited:
Not sure about the shrapnel thing. Perhaps, but stiff =/= brittle. I' imagine it's more about head injury. A soft disc mïght let you escape with a flesh wound, but a stiff disc could cause real damage.
As for why not drivers? My only idea is that the rim of a driver, being so thin and relatively light in materials, would tend to flex more than a thick rimmed mid or putter of the same material. Not an engineer, just a hunch.

So, are G9i and Mediums that don't pass the test actually legal for tournament play, then?

I would say "no," but I apply a fairly strict understanding of the rules to myself... And to be clear, I'm not asking if people will still play them because "it's not hurting anyone" or "there's no real advantage" - I'm asking if they're technically illegal.

I would say "no" for the same reasons that a Wizard that weighs 175g is illegal.

Chuck? What do you say?

Technically they're not. If someone tries calling me on that I will gladly call them on something out of their bag as well. I don't know anyone that has a bag full of gummy discs.

I have an old circle tooled firm one that's a plate, and I also have some newer ones that are just about as firm but are marked s or ss so how is this going to be enforced?