• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Medium Wizards No Longer PDGA Legal?

Looks like the disc golf police will be inspecting putters in the near future. Every tee pad will have a Disc cop there ready to weight your disc they will also but cuting off a tiny piece of plastic to dna test it. Stuff such as this is the reason dg will never be anything other than a hobbie.

Well the thing that is going to make this all interesting is the new PDGA rule this year that basically says it's enough for someone on your card to QUESTION the legality of your disc to make it illegal to throw again until a TD or marshall says otherwise. So if someone questions the stiffness of your disc 2 holes into the round you can't throw it again until you bring the disc to the TD to inspect and make the call whether or not the disc is legal.

Last edited:
The shrapnel thing is weird, I would be way more worried about catching a champ destroyer to the dome than any putter.

I have seen CE shatter into pieces when it hit a tree in the cold. It wouldn't be cool to get smacked with a piece of it but those pieces are relatively small and light and have no kinetic energy left when the disc goes kaboom. Unless you caught a piece directly to the eyeball I doubt you'd have any problems.

I guess discs do have to pass specs and whatnot, but there are way more super stiff champ discs out there that pose a threat to my health than any putter.

Has anyone ever been to a baseball game? Amateur or professional? Ever seen a window break or someone get hit by a foul ball?? I've seen both and I'll be willing to bet that does more damage than any disc. I've been hit by a flying disc. Direct hit to my upper arm and it was bearable... this just amazes me...

Ever been to a hockey game? They dont make the pucks any softer bc ppl in the crowd get hit. Maybe they should change to a ball completely.

I just ordered the last M wiz from DGC

t6XVx.jpg

:D

Well the thing that is going to make this all interesting is the new PDGA rule this year that basically says it's enough for someone on your card to QUESTION the legality of your disc to make it illegal to throw again until a TD or marshall says otherwise. So if someone questions the stiffness of your disc 2 holes into the round you can't throw it again until you bring the disc to the TD to inspect and make the call whether or not the disc is legal.
which is why i dont play events. I can play on my own time with whatever i want.

So what do we all use blowflys so if we hit someone it just bounces off like a wet noodle? Someone from the PDGA needs to say exactly why they are making this ruling.

I think they sit in the same boat as KC Aviars or any other stiff disc - nobody brought it up to PDGA yet.

If KC's become illegal I guess the PDGA will be forced to strip Climo of his 13 world championships he won using dangerous discs. :p

How often do even the stiffest discs completely shatter? In my eleven+ years of dg I've never seen it happen... Or known anybody who's so much as mentioned it as a possibility. I've split discs before but that's totally different. IMHO, anybody standing close enough to the line of fire to get caught with shattered disc shrapnel is asking to get hit by a drive anyway. What's next? Banning courses with trees that have thick bark that may fly off and hit somebody?

The PDGA have their own pro shop in Appling, GA. I'm pretty sure they are well aware of how stiff many of the discs on the market are. I really don't know what makes them recall certain discs but not others. If they continue to do this I have no problem sending them lots of "samples" of illegal discs and demand they be made illegal too. They should either enforce the rule for all discs out there or not enforce it at all, but if they enforce it half of the discs on the market would suddenly become illegal.