• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Medium Wizards No Longer PDGA Legal?

As far as I know they just approve the molds. There are no restrictions on plastic and nobody sends in discs for approval again every time they get new plastic.

Shouldn't that be a requirement knowing that's common with every company?

Manufacturers do submit additional disc samples when they think a different plastic in the same mold might be too stiff. But it's not a requirement.

So manufacturers are going to voluntarily submit a product for testing that will lead to them losing money from not being able to sell the hundreds/thousands of discs they just ran? Give me a break.

As far as I know they just approve the molds. There are no restrictions on plastic and nobody sends in discs for approval again every time they get new plastic.

IIRC, there was a huge effing dealio back in the day when Innova released the CE aviar, and the legality of the disc in the new plastic was questioned, specifically for the flex test issue. If you look at the list of PDGA approved discs, you will see a separate entry for CE aviars resulting from this huge effing dealio. Perhaps that document will greatly expand in the future due to the current huge effing dealios.

Just called Gateway to inquire about ordering some Mediums, but apparently they don't have any. When they make more, it won't have the PDGA tooling on back because it's too stiff to pass. Sad, sad day.

were they all over max weight too...this is very common for wizards...

might be firm and too heavy..

i've had a few wizards in the past so my guess is they were both too heavy and too firm and PDGA said don't do it anymore!!!

175 on a wizard can mean 180

So manufacturers are going to voluntarily submit a product for testing that will lead to them losing money from not being able to sell the hundreds/thousands of discs they just ran? Give me a break.
They submit the new plastic model before they've made production runs. Doh!

So should I go to PIAS tomorrow and buy the 4 medium Wizards they have? So possibly in a year they'll be worth $50 each??? :) Lol

were they all over max weight too...this is very common for wizards...

might be firm and too heavy..

i've had a few wizards in the past so my guess is they were both too heavy and too firm and PDGA said don't do it anymore!!!

175 on a wizard can mean 180

Haha, I've had the opposite experience. Most of the time when I get Wizards marked 175 they end up being 174 or 173. My jump putting Wizard is 168, but it was marked 170 when I bought it.

I do remember seeing a bunch of the G9i's overweight though.

They submit the new plastic model before they've made production runs. Doh!

But they already purchased the plastic... So what's the incentive to send in the sample if they discover after making the sample that it might not meet flex specifications.

I don't want to nay say without proof and all that. Out of curiosity, when was the last time the KC Pro Aviar was submitted for approval? They've gone through many plastic blends for that putter. I know I felt two different ones last year alone. One was a softer tackier kind and the other was slick and firm. The softer one felt like it would probably pass, the other I doubt it.

Last edited:
But they already purchased the plastic... So what's the incentive to send in the sample if they discover after making the sample that it might not meet flex specifications.
It's plastic they already use. They wanted to try it on another disc model they had not tried it with yet.

The only reason PDGA cracked down on Wizards is because Dave sent them some G9i's as part of a promotional package and they instantly replied to him that they were too stiff and he had to pull them off all store shelves. At first they wanted to him to pull all Wizards with the small throwing Wizard stamp on them before he informed them that he has RFF Wizards with the same stamp. Anyway, I just don't get it.

This is very telling. Within the last couple years, I'd dare say that Innova has skirted more manufacturing rules than all the other companies combined and remained completely immune. I guess no one told on them...I wonder who told on Gateway?

It appears that Gateway told on Gateway :popcorn:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Gateway.jpg
    Gateway.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 564
It's plastic they already use. They wanted to try it on another disc model they had not tried it with yet.

But the actual plastic they use is never the same. This is why there are so many variations of flex, texture, opacity, etc from run to run. They buy a batch, it runs out, they buy another batch. The next batch they buy is rarely the same as the one before it.

I'd bet some new and newer manufactures had new prototypes rejected due to flex issues... then complained about existing manufactures that were not in compliance.

But i honestly believe the safety argument is mute now. "flexible plastic" requirement is all about tailoring to a specific manufacturing process that benefits specific companies. The companies that wish to experiment with other materials/flexibilities are being punished.

Last edited:

Latest posts