• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mejlholm's bag

mejlholm

Par Member
My turn, I think the bag i pretty solid for a non-minimalist type of guy ;-) I throw 110 - 115 meters consistently, 130 meters on a good throw. (real measured D, not message board D)(and that would roughly be 360 - 370 and 425 feet for you american guys).

Anyways nice to hear some oppinions. Also the boss'es are rarely used (only on wide open holes).

drivers:
--------

1x 175g star max
- heavy wind

2x 175g esp pulses
- spike hyzers
- hyzer
- forehand

2x 175g star wraith
- main driver
- hyzer/hyzerflip

1x 171g, sidewinder
- high turnover anhyzers
- rollers
- shorter thumbers/tommys

fairway drivers:
------------------

1x 175g champ leopard
- straight shots with some turnover

2x 175g star TL
- fairway driver for straight shots with little fade

2x 175g star eagle-x
- main fairway driver with some fade

1x 174g opto XXX
- strong headwind disc
- thumbers/tommys
- flex shots
- hard turning

midrange:
-----------

1x 176g esp meteor
- turnover shots with a ton of glide

2x 178g Z buzz
- straight to slight turnover shots

2x 178g Z wasp
- headwind
- hyzer approaches

1x 175g star gator
- strong hyzer with skip

putters:
------------

1x 175g ss magic
- jump putting
- bad lies where hyzer release can be an advantage (flips up to straight)
- anhyzer approaches

2x 175g sss warlock
- main putter

1x 175g ss wizard
- hyzer to straight approaches

total:
6 + 6 + 6 + 4 = 22 discs
= 15 molds

Quite a few changes:

Finally removed the boss'es, as I never really used them. Also I'm more consistant with the wraiths for the same distance.

My pulses also left the bag as I am flipping them now and then. They were replaced by excalibers, which I hope will be more consistently overstable for me. I might also consider the star max for the slot as well.

I'm considering adding a striker or two for drives requiring more finesse.

Added a star eagle X to bridge the gap between the stable champ teebird and my massively overstable opto XXX.

The pig went out, as I felt it was too close to the gator.

I'm trying core's instead of meteors as I find the meteors a bit too inconsistent. The meteors were only used for turnover shots longer than 90 meters and tunnel shots. I'm not really sure on this decision, but I'll try it out anyway.

Striker stays for now - as well as the star max.

The core however goes, as I find it closer to the buzz than to the meteor (despite it is pretty flippy).

Also added another wizard as my old one is getting a bit flippy (never thought I would see the day).

I would...switch out the Sidewinder for a Roadrunner,(more consistent flier and a better roller)drop the Teebird and put more faith in the EX, and switch the Gator out for a Drone. (more overstable and better at skips)

I have a lot of confidence in the Sidewinder and Gator for shots where I need to get out of trouble, so I'm probably gonna stick with them for a while longer. I love the eagle, so the teebird is finally out.

The striker is out as the wraiths are getting so flippy that I can shape most lines with them.

Finally I'm gonna put my pulses back in as I like the feel of them better than the xcalibers. The star max is there to stay on really windy days.

I'm giving the stalker a tryout for a permanent place in the bag. That means that the teebird and TL's are out for now. Also think I'm gonna try a stiffer wizard for driving. The SS'es I recently bought are flippy after only a couple of tree hits.

drivers:
--------
1x 175g, sidewinder
2x 175g star wraith
2x 175g esp pulses
1x 175g star max

fairway drivers:
------------------

1x 175g champ leopard
2x 175g Z stalker
2x 175g star eagle-x
1x 174g opto XXX

midrange:
-----------

1x 176g esp meteor
2x 178g Z buzz
2x 178g Z wasp
1x 175g star gator

putters:
------------

1x 175g ss magic
2x 175g sss warlock
1x 175g ss wizard
1x 175g gummy star rhyno

total:
6 + 6 + 6 + 5 = 23 discs
4 + 4 + 4 + 4 = 16 molds

mejlholm said:
I'm giving the stalker a tryout for a permanent place in the bag. That means that the teebird and TL's are out for now. Also think I'm gonna try a stiffer wizard for driving. The SS'es I recently bought are flippy after only a couple of tree hits.

Fedt at du endelig skal til at kaste en ordentlig Wizard :D Men hvad skal du bruge Rhyno'en til? Jeg glæder mig til at høre noget mere om din Simian, den ser rigtig fed ud på bilderne.

Rhyno'en fungerer mest som en lidt kortere gator som ikke skipper så meget. Og så købte jeg den mest fordi mine nye wizards generelt flipper i vinden... Skulle bruge noget der var 100% til at stole på.

Yes simian'en er fed. Fik testet den sidste weekend under vintertouren. Det er skønt ikke at skulle bøvle rundt med en stol hele tiden og den sidder godt på ryggen. Til gengæld er jeg ikke helt vildt imponeret over den måde discene sidder i tasken på. Er konstant bange for at jeg taber nogle. Tror jeg skal til at eksperimentere lidt med den.

Dammit. Discspeed got me thinking a little too much about the difference in length in the wasp vs. aftershock, so now I have to check it out. Well give me a little credit for holding out so long...

Yes Rhynos stop better especially soft Pros. Too bad they don't last when driving and turn to Wizard or less HSS quickly but still are shorter and fade more. For me harder plastic Rhynos are better at controlling distance by the faster drop rate and slower flight, especially late in the flight, left turns and wind handling ability. Rhyno fades a lot less than a Gator and Gators skip a lot.

SS Wizards aren't great for driving like you found out. The longevity just isn't there. Cold and wet weather grip is not as (that) good with stiffer or E Wizards but clear E Wizards have the second best grip of any putters I've held. My new CE Wizard comes in second to a new Whitler but my old is about the same or slightly slicker than CE Wiz. Meaning still great.

This CFR gummy rhyno is pretty soft and flexible, which (at least in theory) should make it less prone to skipping (on ground and when hitting a tree). I use it primarily as a compliment to the gator, when skipping is out of the question. Also when I need something with a drastic drop rate.

mejlholm said:
This CFR gummy rhyno is pretty soft and flexible, which (at least in theory) should make it less prone to skipping (on ground and when hitting a tree). I use it primarily as a compliment to the gator, when skipping is out of the question. Also when I need something with a drastic drop rate.

I bought my orange 170 gummy Champ Rhyno at EO and it does skip on hard ground with low fast throws. It has nowhere near the stopping power of a Pro Rhyno. I wish it did. It helps with reducing tree skips though.

I used to use a gator for FH approaches, then I got a pig (it was much more comfortable in the hand than the rhyno - flatter and no bead). The pig took the place of the gator. I use it for all FH approaches inside of 240 or so. It drops like a rock. If I need a skip, I can always use an Eagle-x or Firebird. I definitely found overlap between the gator and pig. Maybe the same with the rhyno? Like I said though, I don't throw them backhand.

I agree that the gator and pig overlaps a lot, espicially since I use the L mold of the gator (no bead). But in my experience they skip just about equally much. The rhyno is a tad shorter and has a lot less skip. Does it overlap with the gator: yes, but I'm not ready to give either of them up yet (if so, then it could actually be the gator that goes).

mejlholm said:
I agree that the gator and pig overlaps a lot, espicially since I use the L mold of the gator (no bead). But in my experience they skip just about equally much. The rhyno is a tad shorter and has a lot less skip. Does it overlap with the gator: yes, but I'm not ready to give either of them up yet (if so, then it could actually be the gator that goes).

IMO Rhyno is the more valuable of the two and less overlapping with other discs. Gator is easier for FH for me but it's still too high for my liking. Gator ain't that much longer than a Rhyno.

I'm gonna experiment some with the bag. Basically I'm not really happy with the rhyno as a driver. My wizards beat up too quickly, so I'm gonna try out some of my warlocks instead. The ones I have seem just a bit as stable as a new wizard.

I've ordered some nukes (yeah I also fell for it), so the whole drivers section below may just be going out of the bag. The fairway driver section is being expanded as these cover a huge percentage of my driving needs. I know that there is some overlap and I'll probably weed some of them out later in the year.

drivers:
--------
1x 175g, sidewinder
3x 175g star wraith (various stages of wear)
1x 175g star max

or just

2x 174g esp nuke

fairway drivers:
------------------

1x 175g champ leopard
2x 175g star TL
1x 175g Z stalker
2x 175g champ teebird
2x 175g star eagle-x
1x 174g opto XXX

midrange:
-----------

1x 176g esp meteor
2x 178g Z buzz
2x 176g pro aftershock
1x 175g star gator

putters:
------------

1x 175g ss magic
2x 175g sss warlock (floppy soft for putting)
2x 175g sss warlock (overstable and stiff but grippy for driving)

WOW!!! 4 Mid molds? I'd drop everything except your Buzzz and get a Drone, and Buzzes in X and D for your turnover shots.

You don't need both a Max and a XXX, get rid of the Max.

There's too much overlap with the Leo, TL and Stalker. Choose one.

Ok I'll bite. (At least to some of it). The gator stays. I like the mold and have no intention of spending money on testing the drones. The star eagles are plenty stable for me, so the XXX goes.

drivers:
--------
1x 175g, sidewinder
2x 174g esp nuke
3x 175g star wraith (different stages of wear)
1x 175g star max

fairway drivers:
------------------

1x 175g champ leopard
2x 175g star TL
2x 175g star eagle-x

midrange:
-----------

1x 176g esp meteor
2x 178g Z buzz
1x 175g star gator

putters:
------------

1x 175g ss magic
2x 175g sss warlock (stable for putting)
2x 175g sss warlock (overstable and stiff but grippy for driving)

I'm not really getting the results this year that I was hoping for, so I'm going to do something serious. This might be as good a time as ever to start drinking the DGR coolaid and start minimalizing the bag, so here is my first attempt. I think I'm going to miss my leopard, but I'm hoping to get a teebird beat up fast enough to take it's place. Not sure if I will miss the meteor and magic, I cant recall the last time I used them.

distance drivers:
--------
4x 175g star wraith (beat, ripe, new, new echo)
1x 175g star max

fairway drivers:
------------------
2x 175g star teebird (beat, new)
2x 175g star eagle-x (beat, new)

midrange:
-----------
2x 178g Z buzz
2x 175g pro aftershock

putters:
------------
2x 175g sss warlock (stable for putting and approaches)
2x 175g SS wizard (new, beat)

Latest posts