• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mejlholm's bag

Forgot to write that the Aftershock fades more and is faster than KC Roc. Roc doesn't drop as often and as much as the Buzzz in rear wind.

I'm looking forward to having a roc that is beat up enough for tunnel shots :)

As for the aftershock, yes it definitely is more overstable than the rocs. I wonder if I'm gonna need one of the very overstable midranges because of this. I guess time will tell...

KC Roc ain't bad for tunnels if you throw it hard but at shorter ranges you should either use a putter or for the faster breaking in a DX Roc.

Ended up with the following bag. I found rocs to fly just fine on tunnel shots, so the buzz is out. Put in a little more drivers, mainly to fill up the bag compartment and serve as backups.

distance drivers:
--------
3x 175g Pro wraith (beat, slightly beat, new)
1x 175g Star wraith (very beat)
1x 175g Star max

fairway drivers:
------------------
2x 175g Champ eagle-l (beat, getting beat)
4x 175g Star eagle-x (beat, getting beat, new, new)

midrange:
-----------
3x 175g KC Pro Rocs (overstable, stable, beat) - hopefully
1x 175g DX Roc (beat)

putters:
------------
2x 175g SSS Warlock
2x 175g SS Wizard

While the Roc is better between 1 and 4 degrees of anny in 1 degree steps is your worn DX Roc understable enough to fly well right of the initial line early in the flight like a Buzzz or a Comet? Roc in KC is better in rear winds i haven't done a head to head comparison with the DX. Otherwise Roc plus Buzzz combo is good for range control the Buzzz being a little longer than KC which is a little longer than a DX.

Small updates. My first star Max is starting to get a little too worn (so I'll be adding another one to the bag) I find the grip on the KC rocs to be too slippery, not really what I wanted from pro plastics. I'll be giving rocs a final try, running mainly in DX, but for now I'm not really that happy with them. Guess I'm just missing a decent under stable midrange...

On the other hand I'm loving the Eagle-L / Eagle-X combo.

I also played my old home course, which is very windy. I figured that I should add some of my star wraiths back into the bag, as the pros wear in too fast to keep a decent stable one in the bag.

distance drivers:
--------
3x 175g Pro wraith (very beat, beat, new)
2x 175g Star wraith (beat, new)
2x 175g Star max (beat, new)

fairway drivers:
------------------
2x 175g Champ eagle-l (beat, new)

midrange:
-----------
2x 180g DX Roc (new)
1x 180g Star San Marino Roc (new)
1x 175g DX Roc (beat)

putters:
------------
2x 175g SSS Warlock
2x 175g SS Wizard

Not looking to add another mold to the bag - the beating of the rocs are just taking a lot of time... If I wanted another mold - then I would just throw my buzzes back in.

Trees, walls and pavements then. Sliding and skip shots off of asphalt. Rocs vary a lot so if you have a good one it will take a while to break in naturally.

Grab a GL Fuse for the understable slot. They love turning right out of the box and get better with age. MD2's need to be released with anhyzer to turn right on RHBH, even if they are worn in.

Giving these discs a try over the winter. Might sub the x line buzz for a fuse, depending on how the axis beats in.

distance drivers:
--------
2x 175g Pro wraith (very beat, beat)
2x 175g Star wraith (beat, new)

fairway drivers:
------------------
2x 175g Champ eagle-l (new, beat)

midrange:
-----------
1x 180g Vector
1x 180g Pink Axis
2x 180g Non-pink Axis
1x 175g X-line buzz (beat)

putters:
------------
2x 175g SSS Warlock
2x 175g Soft Ion

Some bag cleanup for the new season.

I tried out the Ion, Axis and Vector, but they didn't really stick. I feel that both the Axis and Ion are too sensitive on anhyzers in the left side wind, where a beat roc and a wizard perform noticeably better. The Vector just newer was as overstable as I expected.

The more I throw new star wraiths, the more I'm convinced that I need something to bridge the gap between those and the star max, so I'll throw in a couple of teerex'es. If that works out, I might switch completely to those instead of wraiths as they wear. Also most new wraiths have this annoying flashing that I can't seem to get rid of without messing up the disc.

The eagles are doing me very well, so no change there. So are the warlocks.

distance drivers:
--------
2x 175g Pro wraith (very beat, beat)
1x 175g Star wraith (beat)
2x 175g Star teerex

fairway drivers:
------------------

midrange:
-----------
1x 180g Star San Marino roc (pretty overstable for now)
2x 180g DX roc (newish)
2x 175g DX roc (beat, slightly beat)
2x 180g DX ontario roc

putters:
------------
2x 175g SSS Warlock
2x 175g SS Wizard

I think that the gap between the Wraith and the Max is definitely too great. Discmania DD is a less fading harder fading Wraith in S line. Destroyer is a natural progression to the Wraith in being faster and more overstable. Although Pro Destros break in fast to very long annying and late fading discs. They still fade at least as much as a new Wraith probably more. Boss gets closer to the fade of the Max and flips harder than good Destros. Teerexes are plagued by having been changed a million times. The Teerex X mold is in production and the final variant if Dave D holds that promise. That is a good variety so it won't be that much faster than the Destroyer. Which is noticeably longer.

Tuned things a bit. The list below is for tournament rounds - for practice / weeklies I usually take out a lot of the duplicates.

Forced myself to get rid of the warlocks - I always found the grip on the wizard strange when putting, but lately i've overcome that. Furthermore I've picked up some nice custom stamped club Wizards and some even nicer chalk / SS wizards.

Ontario rocs - not really my thing and the ordinary DX'es are just about getting to the point where I want them.

Teerex'es / Max'es aren't seeing that much airtime, but are nice to have around once in a while for certain specialized shots and windy days.

distance drivers:
--------
1x 175g Pro wraith (very beat)
1x 175g Star wraith (very beat)
1x 175g Star wraith (beat)
1x 175g Star wraith (new)
2x 175g Star teerex

fairway drivers:
------------------
4x 175g Star eagle-x (pretty beat, beat, new, new)
1x 175g Champ eagle-x (new)

midrange:
-----------
2x 180g Star San Marino roc (new)
1x 175g DX roc (newish)

putters:
------------
2x 175g Chalk Wizard (putting)
2x 175g S Wizard (driving)

I know you throw far so which long discs have you tried? Blizzzard Bosses and Nukes rule long shots these days and Forces are still long for how well they handle stiff headwinds. Forces beat Maxes in distance and Teerexes in wind resistance. I would think that there are occasions where you could use a longer disc at least throwing over trees. There are holes you can't reach with a Wraith unless you've picked up a lot of distance since we last met.

I have some first run Nukes at home, that I throw once in a while for distance. On a good throw I can hit 150+ meters (measured where the disc first hits the ground) with those.

I can usually get the wraiths out to around 130 meters with control, which suffices for almost all my needs. I know there are occations where I could throw a faster disc, but I just don't think the faster discs are as dependable as the wraiths are. They skip much more and you need to be much more consistant on how well you throw. Also the courses I usually play does not reward throwing any longer - so I wouldn't really get to practice longer discs and then I probably wouldn't be able to hit their crusing speed as often as I need to.

I throw the wraiths longer now than I threw bosses a couple of years ago and I also don't want to mix and match discs of different weights (175 and 150 in the same bag).

I get the point - but I think it will lead to worse scores in the end.

I have to partially disagree although i hear you and agree on your goals. I have seen some footage of Danish courses and many of the have a lot of large trees some with low ceilings.

Throwing over the trees is very risk and reward and for utility purposes in a tourny bag you should have the option of going large over the trees. Throwing far under the branches is a lesser talked about bonus with super fast discs and that too is a boon. The larger the tourney the better the chance for long bomber holes littering the course are so going big time in big time events should be trained for. You are good enough for that and you have enough power for the big time discs. Don't worry about about the cruising speed because that is only a part of the big picture. Especially with your power. LSS and HSS dominate which discs are usable on which lines. Flat then fade is automated with big discs and not too many discs do that at your power. The longest discs are very mild in power requirement for your power. S-curve only adds distance so there really are not any discs that you couldn't use. But the beefiest of discs won't probably be much longer or any longer than the Wraith for even you. That list is short. Max and NukeOS pop to mind out of fast discs.

i don't throw as far as you so i don't know where grip locks start to occur in wide winged discs. For me a 134 Boss does stick to the hand too long too often. Maybe in colder and wet weather that would be a bonus avoiding slipping out early. An unexpected bonus. Blizzzad Boss 134 flies on the same lines as normal ones for me so a max weight Blizz 159 Boss should not grip lock easily and should fly fine. And far. Before blizzzard a 163 ESP Nuke was the longest disc i have thrown. Even less grip lock potential. I used FR nuke for a year and it is more overstable than later Nukes with dome and high PLH. Flat Nukes are rollers so i'd avoid those.

Slight changes - still the same overall picture.

I've tried some bubble plastic once in a while when someone urges me to try them on the course. Generally they don't seem to hold the stability of their full weight counterparts (as some are advocating) and most flip too much for my taste. Also the rim width of the boss is too large to fit comfortabely in my hand.

I might give destroyers another try next year - just to see if the width could work for me. I'll also consider giver a bubble wraith a try.

distance drivers:
--------
2x 175g Pro wraith (very beat, new)
2x 175g Star wraith (new)
1x 175g Star teerex
1x 175g Star max

fairway drivers:
------------------
1x 175g Champ eagle-l (beat)
4x 175g Star eagle-x (pretty beat, beat, new, new)

midrange:
-----------
2x 180g Star Rancho roc (new)
1x 180g DX roc (newish)

putters:
------------
2x 175g SS Wizard (putting)
3x 175g S Wizard (driving - new, beat, very beat)

Bubbling discs are all over the place with outside edge height and individual variance is insane. I have a 137 Boss that flies like a 175 Star except faster but the distance is a little more because it too fades out. Many have said that their Destros flip and my 13something is one of the most piggy discs i have fading out without flipping unless there's a headwind. Mild headwinds are nothing to it but the light weight has a distinct disparity between a calm very OS flight and the flip in moderate to lower ranges of hard headwinds. Wraiths can be nice and at your power i'd get a heave one if you are not accustomed to lighter weights. Even if you got a light one and you didn't get grip locks with it wind performance would be better with a heavier one.

I forgot to mention that the Destro i have is way way more overstable than any Star Destro and that some have said that Blizzzards act like normal discs when Blizzzards are 20 grams lighter but for me 15 is more accurate and in some cases only 10. It is sad how much they vary from disc to disc.

Latest posts