• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Memorial Drama

I always thought "the player was penalized" was sufficient and less likely to be take the wrong way.

I see no problem with borrowing the word "stroke" from golf. It is just a term that is easily understood when used to describe a score or penalty. Search the PDGA site for the word 'stroke' and you can see it has been used in countless articles by everyone from the Memberships Manager, Marty, Tour Manager, and PDGA Director. It's all good.

Okay, partition. Those PDGA folks know better and have actually tried to avoid using stroke. For some of us carrying the torch for Ed, it's "nails on a blackboard" painful as hearing our sport called Frolf. But I realize we're all subject to the ongoing descent of our language accelerated by technology where correct spelling and grammar are steadily devolving in the rush of this IM, posting and texting age. Of course, our improper use of 'pro' and 'am' are much more important terminology issues. But that's been a well worn discussion. ;)

Chuck, I empathize. I recently heard a basketball announcer refer to a call as a "held ball". After suffering through tens of thousands of references to "jump ball" in the decades since jump balls were eliminated, I was so elated to hear it called correctly that I had to tell everyone. Including here.

The rulebook says we're to marked penalties and perhaps one day we Easterners will quit circling scores and make a little tally mark instead. Then it'll be a stroke of the pen, and we'll be stroking violators.

Chuck, I empathize. I recently heard a basketball announcer refer to a call as a "held ball". After suffering through tens of thousands of references to "jump ball" in the decades since jump balls were eliminated, I was so elated to hear it called correctly that I had to tell everyone. Including here.

The rulebook says we're to marked penalties and perhaps one day we Easterners will quit circling scores and make a little tally mark instead. Then it'll be a stroke of the pen, and we'll be stroking violators.

In Basketball though, the Jump Ball still exists in the NBA.

/nitpicking

Didn't know that (I don't watch NBA). Now I can just rail at the "jump ball" calling announcers that, "Hey, this is college basketball! It's a HELD BALL!!!" It's important be correct when being indignant about other people's errors.

Didn't know that (I don't watch NBA). Now I can just rail at the "jump ball" calling announcers that, "Hey, this is college basketball! It's a HELD BALL!!!" It's important be correct when being indignant about other people's errors.

Yeah it's funny in the NBA because the jump ball is between the two players that got tied up. So sometimes you'll get a short PG jumping against a 7-foot center.

Yeah it's funny in the NBA because the jump ball is between the two players that got tied up. So sometimes you'll get a short PG jumping against a 7-foot center.

I'm a University of South Carolina fan, and one of the glory moments in team history was when a 6'3" Gamecock outjumped a 6'10" Tarheel with 4 seconds left to win an ACC Championship.

I used to coach youth basketball and loved the jump balls, even the mismatches.

And I was typing this, I just heard the play-by-play man covering a March Madness game refer to a "jump ball". Sigh.

Yes, but we do have an area around the basket defined with slightly different rules where calling it a green does make sense. The words "hole" and "holing out" are specifically defined in our DG rules.

Perhaps, but if we limit ourselves to saying only things that make sense, it's going to get pretty quiet out there.

....at any rate, calling the no-falling-putt zone a "green" because it's vaguely like a ball green, doesn't strike me as a whole lot more valid than saying someone who is penalized was "stroked", because it's vaguely like a penalty in golf.

At the very least, I've never referred to a penalty "stroke" and had someone not understand me. It's a misnomer I can live with.

Merely pointing out that one is terminology defined as the lexicon for the sport and one is not. It doesn't serve the sport as well for those who run and promote it to not use proper lingo (I'm thinking English teachers would prefer I used "language" there).

Last edited:
After reading about Ed I have a better understanding of why it might bother Chuck so much. It makes me wonder if avoiding the word should officially be recognized by the PDGA instead of remaining a pet peeve that leads to discussions of the decline of language... For what it's worth, I'll do my part to stamp out the word from my DG vocab.

....at any rate, calling the no-falling-putt zone a "green" because it's vaguely like a ball green, doesn't strike me as a whole lot more valid than saying someone who is penalized was "stroked", because it's vaguely like a penalty in golf.

I've heard the no-falling-putt zone called "the circle" quite often. More so than I've heard it called "the green"

or perhaps "terminology"????

I think we'll survive if in conversation---and even broadcasts---we use generally-accepted terms instead of the exact rulebook wording.

I know the sports I watch on TV seem to.

It's similar to our choice to create and use terms like hyzer and anhyzer versus using hook and slice from ball golf. Imagine the horror among ball golfers if we described Tiger's shot as hyzering to the green. No problem when done humorously and casually. But it seems we should expect better use of terminology from our media sources in each sport.